• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Lycoming engine colours!!!

Philly5G

England
Can anyone please put a definitive colour name/code to this blue/grey that my new O235-C2C is painted with?!! We’ve finished the tear down and now on the build up stages and there’s some areas I want to repaint :)

Thank you!!59653997906__F59A00CE-DF9B-4FB3-9B25-C2F1BC74C9F2.JPGIMG_7517.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• 59653997906__F59A00CE-DF9B-4FB3-9B25-C2F1BC74C9F2.JPG
    59653997906__F59A00CE-DF9B-4FB3-9B25-C2F1BC74C9F2.JPG
    204.2 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_7517.JPG
    IMG_7517.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 283
Funny story-- I had the Continental C145 from my old C170 overhauled at an engine shop in Oroville WA named Flying Colors Aviation.
Owner Jessie Clark's thing, along with a "custom built for..." placard on the overhauled engine's case,
was painting your engine "any color you want".
When he asked me what color I wanted it, I told him continental gold.
He didn't like that, did his best to talk me into some other color but I stuck to my choice.

My next airplane was a C150/150TD,
the guy I bought it from got it (wrecked) from the old salvage outfit at Omak.
He rebuilt the airframe, then overhauled the 320E2A & painted it blue & red to match the paint job he did on the fuselage.
Even the carburetor was painted!
I would have much preferred just good old Lycoming gray.

I'm probably looking at overhauling my 470 before too many more years--
when I do, it'll be continental gold all the way!

Thanks Steve, I’ve ordered a couple of cans, fingers crossed it’s the one :)

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

The ring gear I bought for the C2C obviously is Lycoming Grey as a short test spray proved, but the rest of the engine sadly isn’t:

IMG_7950.JPG
IMG_7952.JPG

I’ll try to get a blue/grey match mixed up

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_7950.JPG
    IMG_7950.JPG
    177.2 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_7952.JPG
    IMG_7952.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 169
The owner of the last Super Cub I rebuilt masked the engine and painted it. He had a funny expletive about what a pain it was.

Just to be safe, prepare a few expletives and keep them at the ready.

Web

Ha ha ha!!!!!!! and spooky timing Web!!!! I work in software engineering and literally just testing some website automated response (ro)bot stuff right now. One of the logic branches happens when a user enters an expletive and there's a collection of well known expletives that the code checks against. As I don't really want to enter any of these, even in testing, I've just added an expletive to the collection "politeExpletive" and I may well use this one when painting!!!

Colors can vary with each computer display, I just thought your first set of pictures looked like a Kubota engine. I haven't seen the color you need in person, and its hard to match any grey without a piece of the engine in your hand at the store. There seem to be infinite variations on the somewhat lighter battleship grey, for instance. I know Kubota orange changed early 90's but I think the engine blue grey is the same. Any Kubota dealers around you?

Watch the first video in your google search. Part no 70000-00197 looks close, maybe a bit light. He mentions the 2 oranges, but just one grey.

I got some enamel engine paint mixed up at very reasonable prices and VERY pleased with the results :)

iT7jWWn0Rly%lmUDpb9obA.jpgQt4bTuSkTtyOd4XNzBBxVA.jpgzR7EsAhgSpqz82AiPozWyw.jpg

Attachments

• iT7jWWn0Rly%lmUDpb9obA.jpg
    iT7jWWn0Rly%lmUDpb9obA.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 491
  • Qt4bTuSkTtyOd4XNzBBxVA.jpg
    Qt4bTuSkTtyOd4XNzBBxVA.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 332
  • zR7EsAhgSpqz82AiPozWyw.jpg
    zR7EsAhgSpqz82AiPozWyw.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 171
Back