• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Wildlife Management

mvivion

SPONSOR
Bozeman,MT
[video]https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv% 3DrrOE-m7sX9E&h=AT3_d8U0IMZreVwghdPTGQiOR7j9cSdXbjuAqsF9w 5bQbstOnKwWRjfZfFGxB9DP1g7jAoBwJqZnJoT3H0aqXe0PMlN GbMBGjT9RjMOCZyKfRfGRXMVBieHTwnvU0RZmRawCzuw9&s=1[/video]

NYS is over run with beaver, trapped or shot 18 last year in the creek between my house and hangar. They are amazing critters but when they start flooding your buildings they gotta go.

Glenn

NYS is over run with beaver, trapped or shot 18 last year in the creek between my house and hangar. They are amazing critters but when they start flooding your buildings they gotta go.

Glenn

Glenn,

My first full time job as a wildlife biologist involved, among other things, duties as a beaver dam de-constructor in SE Idaho. It seems the farmers there had a custom irrigation system.....in spring, let the beavers keep the water up in the hills, but about mid summer, when your pastures need a little water and the streams are a little low, they'd call me, and I'd blow the dams. Then once again in the fall......

I used to carry around a half dozen sticks of dynamite in my work truck, and caps....not in the same box, mind you.

At one point the DOT folks called and pointed out that one of "My" beavers had plugged up a highway culvert. A big culvert. I thought I got the charge far enough out of the end of the culvert, but....

Anyway, right after that, I moved to Alaska. I have to say, the DOT folks didn't seem the least disappointed.

MTV

A long time ago my boss in Sitka was tasked with opening up a beaver clogged salmon stream. After the demolition we anchored sheet plastic visqueen on the creek bottom so they couldn't push in sticks to start another dam. I guess it worked until they just moved their location. Smart beaver.

Gary

A long time ago my boss in Sitka was tasked with opening up a beaver clogged salmon stream. After the demolition we anchored sheet plastic visqueen on the creek bottom so they couldn't push in sticks to start another dam. I guess it worked until they just moved their location. Smart beaver.

Gary

Beavers never give up, and they never seem to get discouraged. Blow their dam to kingdom come, and they’ll rebuild bigger and better and soon.

the only humans I’ve seen who really had that under control were those ranchers in SE Idaho. Work WITH the beavers.....

MTV

One of the books I read up here, talked of burring a LONG pvc pipe under the dam so ends weren’t near dam and the beavers couldn’t figure it out and left.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Last edited:
I like those old vintage videos. I’m sure that is one of Johnson’s Travelair 6000s. Maybe RobertC may recognize some of the players in the Beaver program? Another video that popped up with this one hints that this took place at Chamberlain Basin.

I've had a little beaver problem over the years. Minnesota grows little beavers. :) 2015-12-9 Phone Pictures 238.jpg

Attachments

• 2015-12-9 Phone Pictures 238.jpg
    2015-12-9 Phone Pictures 238.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 189
I got a chance to try and plant turkeys in montana once. I loaded up the biologist in my 12 and as I recall about 6 wild turkeys, the birds not the bottles- that came later in the day. Let's just say that going from 0 to 50 is not a usual flight requirement of a turkey....the next year we just dropped frozen birds, except for the one barn we hit it was more widely accepted by those on the ground.

Remember first liar doesn't stand s chance

I used to drop live fish into lakes. Most hit the water mark but not all. On one occasion at Four Mile Lake NE of Tok Ak on the Taylor Highway a red fox waited out the strafing run then soon discovered Christmas came early. Never have seen one try to be in two or three places at once to grab the grub.

Gary

I got a chance to try and plant turkeys in montana once. I loaded up the biologist in my 12 and as I recall about 6 wild turkeys, the birds not the bottles- that came later in the day. Let's just say that going from 0 to 50 is not a usual flight requirement of a turkey....the next year we just dropped frozen birds, except for the one barn we hit it was more widely accepted by those on the ground.

Oh, believe me, the antics that go on in the name of wildlife and fisheries management are far stranger than fiction.

MTV

I like those old vintage videos. I’m sure that is one of Johnson’s Travelair 6000s. Maybe RobertC may recognize some of the players in the Beaver program? Another video that popped up with this one hints that this took place at Chamberlain Basin.

It is one of Johnson's Traveliars, Bob Fogg's son remembers his dad talking about this so we think he was the pilot.

Using a painter's extendable pole with a syringe on the end to immobilize a momma black bear in her winter den. Mom is wide awake, by the way.

Sticking A Bear.jpg

My partner fishing a cub from the den, after hauling Mom out of the den.

Mark Bear Den.jpg

And, the rest of the bear family, singing a song....loudly.

Mike looking at cubs.JPG

MTV

Attachments

• Sticking A Bear.jpg
    Sticking A Bear.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 153
  • Mark Bear Den.jpg
    Mark Bear Den.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 178
  • Mike looking at cubs.JPG
    Mike looking at cubs.JPG
    230.4 KB · Views: 186

https://youtu.be/lf3mgmEdfwg

What for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They're big moose eaters. We wanted to know more about the population and dynamics. Easiest way to change a collar is in the den. We had these bears radio equipped for seven years.

MTV

Back