• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Landing lights in the gear

1b7627a270fc16f8673e71d839e0c013.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct about wig-wag two lights close together. If you have two lights in each wing you'd need to figure a way to flash both lights in each wing, alternating wings, or all four on/off together.

Also, A MaxPulse controller will work with a mix of lamps such as one LED and one incandescent.

Web

Maxpulse has settings for alternating or simultaneous flash with multiple speeds for both. It also allows steady on for either or both lights, and all off, too. For closely mounted lights like those on both my planes I use simultaneous flashing at 44 ppm. With any flasher setup I’ve seen LED bulbs are far better than incandescent because they cycle from off to on instantly while incandescents are like fiddling with a rheostat on your dining room lights. LEDs blink, incandescents vary brightness slowly. And FWIW, the Maxpulse doesn’t last long when flashing 100w halogens. Not in my experience, anyway, and I’ve bought a few Maxpulses for my planes. Personally I don’t think two wing lights flashing alternately provide any recognition advantage over dual nose lights flashing simultaneously. The bigger consideration when choosing lights for recognition should be width of the projected beam. Flood beams are better than spot beams.

…. I don’t think two wing lights flashing alternately provide any recognition advantage over dual nose lights flashing simultaneously....

I've never compared them side by side, but
I'd think the alternating left-and-right would provide more apparent "movement" to catch your attention.
My first experience seeing flashing landing lights was on Kenmore's Beavers around Puget Sound--
that's what they do, & you notice them a along ways off.

Personally if i was going to the trouble to add lights to the other wing,
I'd just put the double lights on both sides.

Personally if i was going to the trouble to add lights to the other wing,
I'd just put the double lights on both sides.

Adding a little here and a little there adds up and you have a fat airplane. There’s a reason mine is 1070 empty on 31” bushwheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back