• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

EDO 2425s on a Cub?

7GCBC

Palmer Ak
I know where I can pick up a set of nice EDO 2425 floats at a decent price for my experimental Super Cub. Has anybody tried to put a set on a Cub before? I don’t think it would be too over floated with a heavy 180hp Cub. It has C180 rigging and I would assume I would also have to cut the rear struts and find different length flying wires if that’s possible.

This is the parts list drawing for the 44-2425 floats: http://www.kenmoreairharbor.com/uploads/9/6/8/3/9683162/edo_model_44-2425_parts.pdf
It does not show any of the attachment gear parts.
These early floats are not common around here. Question, do the struts attach to the floats with a fixed fitting or a flexible ball on the end of the struts? If the fitting is fixed you will need to make a whole set of float deck to strut fittings as well as the fuselage fittings, since the Cessna 180 has a wider fuselage than your Cub.
Also do some research into locating the step in relation to the loaded CG as well as the best angle in relation to the wing chord line. The normal EDO 2000 installation on a Cub has a large angle between the chord line and the floats in order to provide take off performance with a low power engine. This creates drag reducing cruise speeds.

In short this will require a lot of knowledge on your part of just how to install the floats. Also it could require a lot of special parts which would have to be made. David Thurston's book "Design for Flying" has a chapter on seaplanes which provides good information. https://www.amazon.com/Design-Flying-David-B-Thurston/dp/0070645590

I installed a set of EDO 2000s with Citabria attachment gear on my experimental Cub. It took 100 hours of labor to make the parts which were different to complete the project. The result was worth while.

The 44-2425 floats are wide when compared to 89-2000s. This means that they will more easily get on the step with the same loads. Thus you will be able to install them with less angle between the wing chord and the floats. A place to start would be 3 to 3.5 degrees between the bottom of the wing and the float keel.

These floats being wide "may" effect pitching moments due to the area which is forward of the wing as well as directional stability. In other words, there are aerodynamic considerations. None of what I've said should be misunderstood as being negative. Just that there is a lot more to what you are suggesting than just bolting the floats on your Cub.

If you do decide to do this, be certain to inform us of the results. I love projects such as this.

[h=1][/h]

Another consideration is the weight. A set of EDO 2000s weights approximately 265 lbs. A set of EDO 2440s weigh about 340 lbs. I don't have any weight numbers for the 2425s.
Is it worth it to carry around another 75+/- lbs extra empty weight?

Pete,

Thats what I was going to say, HEAVY and big floats for a Cub.

Id put them on the market, they’re one of the few float models approved on Stinsons, and I’ll bet there’s a Stinson owner out there who’d love to have those.

MT

Yeah they are on the heavy side, not sure if they are worth much to the Stinson crowd with Cessna rigging.

did you perchance the 2425 float i am looking for a damage set to rebuild or a set at a good price

The Edo 2425 float was the original float approved for the 1st Cessna 180's in 1953.
It turned out to be horribly under floated.
I flew an Aeronca Sedan w/0360 in Labrador in late 70's, that had a set of Edo 2425's on it, and it worked wonderful with BIG loads. Much safer when turning around in winds over 15mph, than any Sedan on Edo 2000's.
The 2425 have the same fluted bottom design as lots of early Edos (Guess this is why Aeroset copyed them) which is much easierto get "on the step" than a flat bottom with a booster. I bet they will work alright, on a heavy Cub/ Cruiser? Pete makes a great point about the extra weight. But that's not the whole story. Case n Point:
Early 60's Champion GCB approved on PK
1800's , weight 195 lbs. Later on mid 60's Citabria approved on Edo 2000's, weight
265lbs. So this is a similar comparison being close to same weight differential your going to be looking at; approximately 70 lbs more.
Here is how they really stack up: The performance of the two floats, under similar weight/HP aircraft, was 'very similar' lightly loaded, However with a full load, the Edo 2000's even though heavier, they displaced the aft weight, so much better, there is a big difference in how they will both come up on the step. The 2000's work way better. Combined with the fact PK 1800's should have been data taged 1700's as they have a lot more in common with a 1650 Edo than a 2000.
The 1800's are very tippy loaded: and will bury a float x-wind, in even lite whitecaps.
A well known member on here "Oli Built"
had some similar sized floats to 2425's on his 180hp Super Cub. Maybe he will chime in on his view on larger than normal floats on an 18.
Since you have the HP to haul them, I can't see why the Cub wing, wouldnt lift them a heck of a lot better, than a smaller Stinson wing would! Lol
Good Luck with the floats. (This is the very reason Eddie Peck builds the 2250's)
E

Sent from my moto e5 go using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Last edited:
Back