• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Yet another Javro build

Robbie S

PATRON
Lonoke Ar.
Here we go.... actually started the build on this one back in fall. I will itroduce myself at a later date. I will post a pic here and there and ask a few ? Along the way. Ill give my specific about my plane later also. . Just using this as my starting point since im sitting a a nice chair here at Sams waiting on my wife. I know a few on here and have always liked this place for info . Well , i see her coming so thats it for now. Maybe when i get home later.

Well, got sidetracked since last post with a little tornado Friday night, everyone save. One churchmember lost a tractor shop but all good. What i have decided to build is a wide body javron with square wings and big flaps . I have many builds under my belt, maybe 20 from 18s to bearhawks. Everytime say going to do something different. Lot of times hands tied due to being certified. On this one I decided to go as light as possible,,,but not so far as to make it unusable. Thats part of reason for the wide body. I think when it’s sold it would be a plus. Front end will be an O370 with light flywheel, no pulley, light intake , electric mags , catto etc etc. i am useing as much carbon ans fabric in as many areas as possible. I weigh EVERY thing on a gram scale and document. I hate when people throw numbers around and you are reading something for info and just know its not the truth. Full carbon cowl, interior, floorboards, wing parts etc. i will post weight savings along the way. Actually i will play catchup a little at this point in the build over next couple days. That way i will be posting current. Some things i gain a little like extended gear and extended kellar flapps , but i thing are good sacrifices. I have recieved a lot of good things from this sight without usually ever asking a question, just surfing it. I know some of you and greatly respect some. When i need to talk weight, i know Bill Rusk is the man. When my shop needs to know a part question there’s Steve Pierce and so on and so on. So, till next post ,without getting extremely technical here is my first reach out. Long wing, O370, hopefully a little under the 1100 lb mark. What is yalls fav or best choice for catto. Big tires so no clearance problem. I want good all around but lean a quite bit more to take of performance. I know cubs dont go fast but one build i did in the past had 200 hp but would only cruise about 85. I dont want that. I heard some sim configurations being able to cross country at around 110 to 115 range. That would be awesome. Later and God speed

Robbie,
Our wide body JAVRON. We have a Catto 85x45 on a 200 hp O370 with 31s. At 2550 rpms (7000 msl) we see 117 mph true @ 11 gal per hr on a long wing. Is this Robbie from Aero Tech? Good luck.
Shep….

I did not weigh everything but I care about weight. My Javron wide body with 35" abw, 3" extended, 0-360, 84" 1p235 prop pitched to 43, oratex fabric, big keller flaps with big wing (90" ailerons 110" flaps), 18 gallon tanks, composite floor boards, .020 metal interior with extended baggage, electrical system with 8 amp alternator and earth X battery weighed 1189, .060 flip up side window, .090 skylight and sliders, oregon aero interior seats. It cruised at 105 at 2500, If I built that airplane again I would swap the lengths of ailerons and flaps. I had a basic steam type gage panel, gps, becker com and transponder. It was a very usable airplane.

I don't think you can get to 1100 on 35" tires but I could see doing it with 31" tires.

908D770C-5011-4D75-B524-3126DEBEA680.jpgWent with my own fabric headliner. Sewn and finished out with secondary color . Best time to go ahead and paint and get ot out of the way. Saved some weight here.

Attachments

• 908D770C-5011-4D75-B524-3126DEBEA680.jpg
    908D770C-5011-4D75-B524-3126DEBEA680.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 436
A633ADF9-E3A4-4E94-9880-17CCB8D5DE81.jpgCarbon cowling. Saved i think 6 lbs, will have to look it up . I will post actual numbers later.

Attachments

• A633ADF9-E3A4-4E94-9880-17CCB8D5DE81.jpg
    A633ADF9-E3A4-4E94-9880-17CCB8D5DE81.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 341
D09A3691-CF5C-4FC0-9A01-306E6237E223.jpgChose carbon for interior. Could have j3 styled it but to labor intensive for now. I think my savings over bare alum was mawbe 2/3 of aluminum. I did not have an aluminum to compare but i have sq foot versus sq ft measurements and how many sq feet was installed.

Attachments

• D09A3691-CF5C-4FC0-9A01-306E6237E223.jpg
    D09A3691-CF5C-4FC0-9A01-306E6237E223.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 320
View attachment 46511No problem. What i did was lay out all the geometry on flat babric with lines where frame tubes are to be glued or attached. With the exception of the rear triangle that is covered by itself. Then me and my wife, using a good sewing thread and machine, sewed 4” heavy ceconite tape on topsides. While attaching you have to attach the center on the bar , making sure you glue it straight. This in a line you see. There is a weird tricky corner at rear triange you just have to fold a tape and glue in . On inside a sheered some .016 by 1/4 wide aluminum and glued on the stitch to cover it and straighten everything up before taping . Then on top where it is tension pulling at the seeed seam,on each side i put a bead of 3m silicon type adhesive on each side fo tube in the seam so it would relief it a bit when flying with doors open and it viberating.

Attachments

• 5540870B-4DEC-40F9-B12D-CDC20677781F.jpg
    5540870B-4DEC-40F9-B12D-CDC20677781F.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 256
Shaved 1.65 oz from battery holder!2AC7CB36-E271-4D29-812F-3E723F038D28.jpg

Attachments

• 2AC7CB36-E271-4D29-812F-3E723F038D28.jpg
    2AC7CB36-E271-4D29-812F-3E723F038D28.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 288
It ended up abour 145 grams. If it was a heavy battery i would be more cincerned about lack of material but after it was done it felt just as strong as before. Hows that for engineering testing , “felt” lol

What do yall like better, acme or The tailshock made by airframes? Anyone have actual weights on both (not a guess) thanks

Airframes T3 has weights listed on their website. Acme website is a little clunky and I cannot find any weights.

Since I'm already flying and do not want to take apart the tailwheel to find out; what is the weight of a 2 leaf spring? As either tailwheel would replace the leaf springs, is the replacement heavier or a wash?

Nice job on the battery box, light planes aways fly better IMO.

Acme emailed me today and said 6.8 to 7.2 lbs. when i called airframes they said 5 to 5.5 for single shock and a pound or so more fore dual shock. I weighed a set of heavy leaf springs and clamp and it was 2990 grams or 6.59 lbs

Thanks. That's what I guessed, the stinger is a wash but the T3 is a little lighter (and I think a little less $$).

But unfortunately that does not answer your question; which one is better?

Depends on the mission, if you want a better rotation AOA for takeoff the stock spring beats both. I saw a post on a version of the T3 that was lower to the point the rudder was notched for good travel and head caster angle was maintained. Gabe will know about that one.
DENNY

I second what Denny said. The new tail shock contraptions look pretty trick but I’m not sure on a light tailed cub you need one especially if you are proactive about protecting the tail when landing on rough stuff. If a guys going to three point it everywhere and not keep the tail up then I might think different. One thing either way, if you’re going to add a couple lbs to a light, ripper of a cub, the tail is the right spot. You also may need a little weight back there anyway to offset the big engine?
.....if you ever let me fly it at a stol comp. Robbie, I’d rather you just put a tail skid on it:p

Can do Kevin. Your the man after what i see you do with what i called a almost stocker when it left here. Im just looking at weight savings where i can without going overboard and sacrificing something.

I second what Denny said. The new tail shock contraptions look pretty trick but I’m not sure on a light tailed cub you need one especially if you are proactive about protecting the tail when landing on rough stuff. If a guys going to three point it everywhere and not keep the tail up then I might think different. One thing either way, if you’re going to add a couple lbs to a light, ripper of a cub, the tail is the right spot. You also may need a little weight back there anyway to offset the big engine?
.....if you ever let me fly it at a stol comp. Robbie, I’d rather you just put a tail skid on it:p

I agree with Kevin’s comments on the tail shocks. If you’re 2-pointing your landings, what’s the point of having a shock back there? It is mostly just being put to use while the plane is in taxi mode.

These shock systems are nice designs. I appreciate the engineering and manufacturing techniques that goes into them. But personally, I don’t see the need.

My T3 has been on now for over 4 year. Yes it works great off airport, and when I'm on skis on a no snow frozen lake and the wind and sleds have made rougher then landing crossways on the RR tracks. And when I have a half mile taxi on old pavement that used to be bang, bang, bang over every expansion joint. Now I never feel a thing, and if I'm not feeling it my airframes not feeling it. T3 make a Hyundai into a Cadillac not just off-road but anytime it's moving

Glenn

I am an old fashioned tail spring fan for the reasons noted above. I have a Carbon Cub FX3 in the shop right now with the Acme Aero Stinger installed. Interesting design for sure. These FX3s like to 3 pt. so my be the cat's ass for them. Gotta pull it off and read the directions and set it up. Tends to shimmy but is believed the installer didn't read the set up manual.
IMG_20200209_113619.jpg

IMG_20200209_113609.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200209_113619.jpg
    IMG_20200209_113619.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 1,529
  • IMG_20200209_113609.jpg
    IMG_20200209_113609.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 1,296
Question , does any one have an EXACT weight to the oz. o Berringer 600 by 6 brake and adapter [ no master cyl ]

Back