• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

O-320-E2D in a Piper PA-18

Lampies

Porterville
Hi guys

Asking for a friend who is not on the forum.

I fly an experimental Cub so I’m unsure it it’s possible to install an O-320-E2D in a Piper PA-18. He bought a PA-18-135 project without engine and prop and wish to upgrade to 150/160hp. He has access to a freshly overhauled E2D engine.

Since the PA-18’s were originally built with the O-320-A2B engines, is the STC upgrading to the 150/160hp only applicable to the A2B’s or will he be able to legally install the E2D?

Thanks

Dynafocal mount right? Probably out of a 172. I am not sure if there’s an STC. He’ll have to change the motor mount if so.

Ditto what Charlie posted. Look at the Type Certificate Data Sheet for the O-320 and it gives all the differences. Usually use -A or -B conical mount engines but Cub Crafters STC allows for the dynafocal mount style and Wag Aero has the mount.

Thanks for the reply guys. This then leads me to another question - The mentioned E2D is a Conical mount which means it has been modified from Dynafocal some time. Is this legal? Is there a STC which allows you to do this modification?
If allowed, can this engine be installed per STC onto a PA18? Iow can any conical designated O-320 engine be installed or must it be the A2B?

Thanks

Thanks for the reply guys. This then leads me to another question - The mentioned E2D is a Conical mount which means it has been modified from Dynafocal some time. Is this legal? Is there a STC which allows you to do this modification?
If allowed, can this engine be installed per STC onto a PA18? Iow can any conical designated O-320 engine be installed or must it be the A2B?

Thanks

I doubt it. But I am curious how it was modified. It would take a different case which I suppose is possible since the data plate is on the sump.

I’m also curious how they’ve managed to pull this off. The engine is definitely certified as per the data tag, and was rebuilt by a certified engine shop. We know who the engine shop is so I think it’s best to start there and ask them how and when...

Forget the E2D for certificated 18.E2D has a solid crank,larger sump so needs the O360 type mount if it has the original sump, E2D prop flange has larger bolt studs , and I'm thinking E2D carb Centerline is different. Lots of homework .
For experimental with 9:1s ,heck of a power plant

Last edited:
Forget the E2D for certificated 18.E2D has a solid crank,larger sump so needs the O360 type mount if it has the original sump, E2D prop flange has larger bolt studs , and I'm thinking E2D carb Centerline is different. Lots of homework .
For experimental with 9:1s ,heck of a power plant

I seem to remember you asking that same question many years ago here. 8)

You are right on Steve! and I went with the recommendation of a fellow member from Alaska. Great power, runs a little warm but I also run 2500 and up. A great motor for the experimental. The larger intake on the plenum makes a huge difference along with the HC pistons. The electronic mag is also a nice addition. One major drawback is the solid crank and no Gov.

Back