• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Hanger Heat

One nice thing about Hydronic heating is you don't get a large temp differential between floor and ceiling. My 22 ft vaulted ceiling peak is within 2 degrees of the floor temp. I put two fans in my shop and have never turned them on. Another thing to consider is insulation. I have R40 walls and R60 ceiling in my shop. I can usually turn the heat off in April and just rely on solar gain through 4X6 foot windows to keep it warm all summer. Not cheap to build but saves money in the long run. If I had a hanger I was planning to own for 30 years and was going to heat in cold country that I was going to keep for warm and be in daily I would price out the cost of replacing the slab with in floor heat. If I was only going to be in it a few weeks of the year I would get warm clothing and plan most of my work in the summer. DENNY

One of the reasons I got into radiant floor heat 40+ years ago, was that the water can be heated by gas, electricity, a wood fired boiler, or flat plate thermal solar panels. I use all of the above, except for gas. I haven't spent a dime to heat my shop or hangar in that entire time period, for fuel anyway, getting geared up to be able to say that wasn't cheap but was long ago paid off.

Attachments

• choppers 004.jpg
    choppers 004.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 50
guy down the road from me found a forced air fuel house furnace from a house that was being torn down, got it for nothing and found 2 265 gallon green fuel tanks, that he fills with half #1 and Half #2, that he also found for nothing. has it in his shop, no duct work at all. nice in there all winter.

I've been on building sites where they used an old forced air furnace for temp heat.
Without any ductwork attached, there can be too much airflow for effective heat transfer.
A piece of sheetrock covering about half of the return air opening reduced the airflow,
and made for much warmer supply air coming out.

I've been on building sites where they used an old forced air furnace for temp heat.
Without any ductwork attached, there can be too much airflow for effective heat transfer.
A piece of sheetrock covering about half of the return air opening reduced the airflow,
and made for much warmer supply air coming out.
be easy to try, bend a piece of sheet metal and see with a thermometer if it makes any difference. makes sense holding the air back a little? vs air movement.

Forced air should have both hi and lo limit switches. Hi keeps the unit from burning up when the fan quits, and lo keeps the fan from blowing cold air. I have too much fan so the lo limit cyles in a few times (letting the burner catch up) until the rooms comes up to temp.
Bragging rights: My 200k btu Reznor came from an ANG F-16 alert hangar. Brazed over half the jets. (Burner jets. that is.)

No ducting.....works great with ceiling fans.
hangar heat.jpg

Attachments

• hangar heat.jpg
    hangar heat.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 305
Back