• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

How do you trim for short field?

Maybe I’m missing something here. 300hrs and 1800 landings? That’s like a landing every 10 seconds? I’m a low time
Cub pilot but I have been told by those with 10s of thousands of cub hours that a shorter strip needs a longer set up. Make it right. Maybe take some more time on your approach if your doing a landing every 10 seconds. (Or tell me
to go back to math class...which is possible too lol)

That's one landing every ten minutes.
Back to math class for you....

Go back to math class. One landing every 10 seconds is 360 in one hour. With your math it would only take 5 hours for 1800 landings. DENNY

A short strip should not need any longer setup then a long one if you have good technique. A three mile 747 approach is of little use in a cub.
DENNY

When I do the math it's one landing every 10 minutes.

To the original topic, I had a conversation recently with a guy about my electric trim. In my Cub the electric trim allows me to fly differently than I would with manual trim. I take off with full nose down trim. Add power, the tail instantly comes up, roll a little, pull back... I'm flying. With a touch on the thumb switch I trim to climb-out airspeed very easily. For landing I use full nose up trim. I haven't had any problems other than modulating throttle just a little stops a descent and makes the plane climb, but that's a pilot-induced problem. I'm not sure what I'll do on a cross windy day. Land diagonally... wrestle with the wind... turn tail and run... it'll depend on the day. It's all fun. Until it isn't.

Hahaha see I warned ya!! In my defense I did get 10 I just read it as seconds not minutes.
so one every 10 minutes. Got it. Gonna go print up some flash cards or download some math apps off my kids iPad...maybe it on on some zoom meeting math classes with my 12 year old.

1 landing every 10 minutes is still amazing, cant be done, frozen 300 mile long lake with skis, maybe?
I was wrong with my first post and didn’t wanna push it. But I had the same thought. Small pattern and all a guy does is pattern work or lake skipping I can see it. I’ve done 10 landings or so in a row on skis with a long lake but I’m a long way from a landing every 10 min.

When I am training for STOL comp I can usually do a pattern with full stop in 3 1/2 min. After 1/2 hour ADD kicks in and I stop or go to some high stall work. If others join the pattern it can take longer. DENNY

If we’re going to call out every pilot that embellishes a little, well....... What’s that saying, “I’ve told you a zillion times not to exaggerate!”

If we’re going to call out every pilot that embellishes a little, well....... What’s that saying, “I’ve told you a zillion times not to exaggerate!”

lol truth. Pilots all started as fisherman I think....

I was wrong with my first post and didn’t wanna push it. But I had the same thought. Small pattern and all a guy does is pattern work or lake skipping I can see it. I’ve done 10 landings or so in a row on skis with a long lake but I’m a long way from a landing every 10 min.

just trying to think how you could do the most takeoffs and landings in a short time and say get above 50 ft and thats the quickest way i can think of is with a long lake and skis.

When I was towing gliders all the time, easy to do 6 tows an hour to 2000 ATL with a PA-18-150, 8 tows an hour with the Pawnee. No issue doing a take off and landing every 10 minutes. I’ve had days where I did 42 tows or more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back