• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Urine colored fuel

algonquin

Seldovia,Ak
Anybody run across this before? I put a new fuel line on this O-200 ran it and then it sat for a few months waiting to send the carb out for rebuild. I just pulled the carb and when I unhooked the fuel line at the carb the gas that came out was yellow. The carb when drained was yellow fuel also. I did a sump on both tanks and also from the gascolator . Then thru the fuel line, all these samples came out OK, blue colored. This airplane runs only 100 LL.
The thought I have is the fuel line sat in my tool box for about three or four years sealed from the manufacturer until I installed it and it went bad, So anybody seen this before? Thanks guys.
I’m going to put a new fuel line on anyway just to be sure, cheap insurance.

That would have been my guess also. Call up Shako/Omni services and order a new 666 Teflon one. They are in Latham.

Glenn

I used them for tractor parts for years. The shame this hose was from a certified aircraft hose shop.

Algonquin, yup, had same situation ~20 years ago on a PA-25D. After replacement due to age (the HOSE, not me ;-) ), but hedder tank drain and vent line drain were sumping yellow, as well as firewall sump. The wing tank sumps were normal blue, with only 100LL. I seem to remember it was 303 hose. Replaced with another set, same result. Replaced with hose from another lot, and problem went away. The I.A. was patient with me on this. So it does happen, but never got a satisfactory explanation.

Hope your new hose gets it sorted out.

Thanks. cubscout

I’ve had fuel hoses on bulk tanks do this to avgas, supplier told me it was oils being drawn out of the rubber in my coop fuel hose when fuel is sitting in the line for a long period, and a $800 avgas hose wouldn’t do it. I drain the yellow fuel out to use in ground equipment and continue using the coop hose. Over 20k gallons have gone through the current set with no issues.

Thanks guy, I feel better. This is a aviation certified hose so maybe I’ll give the company a call.

It's the hose. Fuel in my hose is always yellow until I run it through to blue. Probably age. It's 10-plus years old. I didn't know there was certified aircraft hose to keepit blue.

Back