• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cub won't start...electrical problem

MZ18

MN
I'm getting a rapid clicking sound from under the seat when I hit my starter button. Brand new odyssey battery with good voltage, two year old Sky-tec STS-S12 starter solenoid, two year old B&C starter on a C-90-12F. Is my starter solenoid already toast?

Make sure all cable connections are clean and tight. Start checking with any that have recently been worked with such as the battery terminals.
Do you have a multi meter that you can check to voltage at or voltage drop at each connector when you engage the starter?

IMG_0480.jpg
All connections are clean and tight. I'll borrow a multi-meter from a buddy and start checking, was wondering if anyone has seen these symptoms before and can point me in the right direction, electrical is not my forte.

Attachments

• IMG_0480.jpg
    IMG_0480.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 217
If the cable to the starter is more than 20 years old I would suspect that. Make sure your ground path from motor to airframe to battery is good. If you jump the solenoid terminals and it starts I would suspect the solenoid.
DENNY

Your battery voltage is low. It may be the battery itself or a bad connection. Put a voltmeter across the battery terminals and turn on all the lights. You should be above 9.5 volts at a MINIMUM. If not, charge the battery. If it is , then check master solenoid.

Leave the lights on and check the voltage at both large terminals of the master solenoid. Both readings should be identical. If not, replace the solenoid.

Next check the voltage at the small terminal of the start solenoid. When you press the starter button it should be steady battery voltage.

Let us know what you find out.

Web

"Betcha a nickle" its the ground wire where it bolts to the seat post, or wherever yours happens to attach. Been there done that.

Voltage is dropping to the point the solenoid is releasing, that’s the first click. Then voltage goes back up and it tries again, clicks again. Rinse and repeat. Like said.... bad connection or low voltage in battery...

OR bad start switch, very common. Easy to check. Jumper from hot side big post to switch side little post, prop should spin, don’t get hit...

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

My one similar experience came on with no warning. One flight was fine, the next was no go. My
mechanic tightened up the connections at the starter. Took a few seconds.

Thanks guys, spot on, found a loose ground connection and put a charge to the new battery, turned right over. Should have checked the new battery voltage before installing but didn’t have a multimeter at the hangar and trusted it would be fresh.

You may wish to consider replacing that start solenoid. Rapid cycling can quickly burn the plating off the power contacts inside. Should test for voltage drop across it when you get a chance and see if you're losing anything there.
Glad to hear you got it solved!

Back