• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Automotive Spark Plugs

stewartb

Lots of experimental guys use them, me included. Unknown to me until now the Lycoming 390/580 cylinders require long reach spark plugs and adapters. I assume the head must be thicker? The IO-400 didn't use long reach.

Things that make you go hmmm. Long reach NGK iridium plugs are $36 each. The Denso equivalent? $9 each. WTF?

You will find the Denso's to be better made with many different versions not that that matters in a plane. I can get most of the Densos for half the money you state.

I’d never seen this warning label or the yellow paint on cylinders before so I had to do some research. I found long reach adapters easily enough but didn’t know which plugs to use. I emailed Pmag who referred me to sparkplugs.com for the Denso plugs. Ordered and shipped, so I’m not shopping. I found the long reach requirement interesting and was surprised that NGK equivalent plugs are $30 each more expensive. Given the spark plug reach issue now I’m wondering about injector nozzles. Email sent about that. Fun with airplanes continues.

IMG_0179.JPG

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_0179.JPG
    IMG_0179.JPG
    842.6 KB · Views: 177
Little different but here is an experience I had. After running my O470 K for 500 hrs, I discovered it had one long reach cylinder ( maybe 470U) that I had short reach plugs in. Never knew I had a problem.

Last edited:
Little different but here is an experience I had. After running my O470 K for 500 hrs, I discovered it had one long reach cylinder ( maybe 470U) that I had short reach plugs in. Never knew I had a problem.

Very interesting.
Esp since the 470U uses 8.6:1 pistons & the K uses 7:1.
FWIW I'd be interested in an STC to drop the higher compression pistons into a 470K,
kinda sorta like the Norland STC (basically a carbureted IO470),
but maybe the K cylinders aren't up to it?

Back