• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cracked spar

Anchorage, AK
I have a J-3 in my shop with a cracked spar. I am trying to figure out why it cracked. The bolt holes were pretty tight.
I did a set of L-4 wings years ago but memory is foggy. I am going to do a little research tonight but if anyone's seen this before chime in!

IMG_9820.jpg
IMG_9821.jpg
IMG_9822.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9820.jpg
    IMG_9820.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 691
  • IMG_9821.jpg
    IMG_9821.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 678
  • IMG_9822.jpg
    IMG_9822.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 849
Last edited:
Don’t have answer to your question.

Looks to be a downward force did it, has it been upside down? That would have been the last wing to hit upside down. Probably bent front strut also.

But big hose clamps around spar with crack like that will get you home on ferry flight.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Sometimes they just crack on the ends. That does look like damage, but there ought to be other evidence. I would look it up - some cracks may be acceptable - that one looks like new spar city to me. In the olden days it would get spliced - an ugly affair on a beautiful wing.

Sometimes they just crack on the ends. That does look like damage, but there ought to be other evidence. I would look it up - some cracks may be acceptable - that one looks like new spar city to me. In the olden days it would get spliced - an ugly affair on a beautiful wing.

Yeah I am putting in a new spar. There's no other evidence of damage other than a few bent nose ribs. I think they got bent when the leading edge was put on though. I am going to finish pulling off the fabric and take a close look at the rest of the wing.

Looks more like a deep check to me. They'll do that if they don't get to dry slowly enough.
John

I'd say the wood grain was compromised (for any number of naturally occurring reasons, or while being dried) and over time the compression of the attach fitting caused it to pop. Basically just rotten luck.

That is interesting, makes one wonder what and why? What can be done to prevent a repeat? Have others found this sort of damage after certain maneuvers or incidents? The crack happened after the wing was painted since the yellow paint on the front is also cracked indicating motion within the wood grain. Also the crack comes from the butt to the top of the first hole yet departs the bottom of that hole directly to the top bolt hole of the compression tube. What caused that ding on the butt above the crack? Something hit there. Is that a handling ding or was the wing over stressed in a careless acrobatic maneuver causing a severe down load on the fitting? If it was a handling ding, the wing tip could have been lifted too high hitting the butt on something stressing the wood through that first bolt. Do the holes in the fitting and the matching holes in the spar align without having to force the bolts through?

So many questions, will we ever know? We do know it happened after the wing was last recovered.

"So many questions, will we ever know? We do know it happened after the wing was last recovered.[/QUOTE]"

Is it possible that someone did a whip stall and overstressed the spar?

Something pushed up on the end of the wing. The lift struts were the fulcrum. The top bolt on the root fitting provided resistance to the downward force on the root until the spar cracked. (IMHO)

Every wood spar wing I've had could be manually flexed up and down at the tip. It doesn't take much effort. Any bump or unusual flex due to vertical loads could stress the butt end.

Gary

Yeah - I have a buddy that lifts the wing at its tip. Ok to jiggle, but if you are lifting, do it at the strut.

I'd say the wood grain was compromised (for any number of naturally occurring reasons, or while being dried) and over time the compression of the attach fitting caused it to pop. Basically just rotten luck.

I am thinking this might be the answer. The spar is quarter sawn a bit don’t know if that made a huge difference.

6294D449-76C9-4AFC-B3F4-7187F6A0DC83.jpg

Attachments

• 6294D449-76C9-4AFC-B3F4-7187F6A0DC83.jpg
    6294D449-76C9-4AFC-B3F4-7187F6A0DC83.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 739
Anyway I am putting a new spar in. I’ll post some pics of the process.

To start you know all those little nails holding the ribs on? I found an awesome system for pulling them out!

B2711B1C-09A8-4901-8B97-B86E39EA8E97.jpg

Attachments

• B2711B1C-09A8-4901-8B97-B86E39EA8E97.jpg
    B2711B1C-09A8-4901-8B97-B86E39EA8E97.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 489
Have her slide a piece of .020 stainless under each rib and tap the nail hole flat. Makes disassembly lots easier.

Something pushed up on the end of the wing. The lift struts were the fulcrum. The top bolt on the root fitting provided resistance to the downward force on the root until the spar cracked. (IMHO)
You might be onto something but I think your scenario would cause it to crack at the strut attach point. A cursory "look" at the geometry and load paths in my mind makes me think the strut fitting would be the more vulnerable location for a fracture. In my opinion, over-zealous jacking while replacing a strut seems a more likely candidate.

It’s definitely not a deep check. Take a closer look at the pictures. It’s cracked through both sides. You can open the crack by hand...

A check is a longitudinal crack in the radial direction of the wood and usually on one end of a board or the other. It can go all the way through. It's usually caused by uneven shrinkage when drying. IF there were some evidence of damage or rough handling, I'd say it wasn't a check.
John

Last edited:
The spar is quarter sawn a bit don’t know if that made a huge difference.

You must mean Plain sawn...Quarter sawn is what results in "vertical grain", which is what you want. From what I can see in the picture, the grain slope is well within spec, according ANC-19.
John

A check is a longitudinal crack in the radial direction of the wood and usually on one end of a board or the other. It can go all the way through. It's usually caused by uneven shrinkage when drying. IF there were some evidence of damage or rough handling, I'd say it wasn't a check.
John

“Checks, shakes, and splits. Checks are longitudinal cracks extending, in general, across the annual rings. Shakes are longitudinal cracks usually between two annual rings. Splits are longitudinal cracks induced by artificially induced stress. Reject wood containing these defects.”

It’s a split not that it really matters. It’s quarter sawn which I realize is better after a little research.

Last edited:
“ Checks are longitudinal cracks extending, in general, across the annual rings. .”
That's on a plain sawn board....but it doesn't matter....you're replacing the spar, which is the proper fix. The only reason I specified that, is that it ties in with wanting to know why it did it. I'll be interested to see if you find any evidence of damage when the spar is completely out so you can examine it. I'm not trying to argue.

Nothing but the finest Prime Rib of wood used in my hangar!

8167009C-5BA7-4950-AA97-8F18BEBAD1AD.jpg

D738D5E3-08CA-4F91-9768-5029436A8EB1.jpg

AEBCE084-5F55-4698-9573-6B1BFA1C56AC.jpg

829023A2-5668-4F8E-8119-E52FBAC8AD67.jpg

Attachments

• 8167009C-5BA7-4950-AA97-8F18BEBAD1AD.jpg
    8167009C-5BA7-4950-AA97-8F18BEBAD1AD.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 322
  • D738D5E3-08CA-4F91-9768-5029436A8EB1.jpg
    D738D5E3-08CA-4F91-9768-5029436A8EB1.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 317
  • AEBCE084-5F55-4698-9573-6B1BFA1C56AC.jpg
    AEBCE084-5F55-4698-9573-6B1BFA1C56AC.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 351
  • 829023A2-5668-4F8E-8119-E52FBAC8AD67.jpg
    829023A2-5668-4F8E-8119-E52FBAC8AD67.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 373
I wonder if that split happened during installation. Bolt through the front fitting and then the wing slipped, dropping the trailing edge and twisting the front spar. I would think such a twist would bend the attach fitting. Maybe it did and the fitting replaced but the crack or start of it was overlooked.

How do you slide the new spar in there with the ribs still attached to the rear spar? Gonna add the plywood plates after sliding it in?

How do you slide the new spar in there with the ribs still attached to the rear spar? Gonna add the plywood plates after sliding it in?
That's what I did on a 7GCB without even uncovering the wing. Just a slice in the fabric over the spar area.

I wonder if that split happened during installation. Bolt through the front fitting and then the wing slipped, dropping the trailing edge and twisting the front spar. I would think such a twist would bend the attach fitting. Maybe it did and the fitting replaced but the crack or start of it was overlooked.
Steel fittings are bolted over the spar.

I admire you guys. Drilling those holes while the spar is in the wing takes great skill, and probably a really good jig.

Back