• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Where to find a spare Crankcase for C90-8F

Patric_L

Hello guys,

our Cub has developed a big oil leak and after pulling the engine a crack inside the case was found. We took some pics of the crack and sent them to Divco and got a positive answer that it's might repairable..and if not they will have a spare case, so we sent them the crankcase.
After a couple of weeks I got an email yesterday that our case is not repairable and they don't have a spare case...damn!

Now we need a source for a C90-8F crankcase we can use...looks like they are hard to find. Any ideas anybody?
Are there any differences between a -8F and -12F case, except the accessory housing?

Thanks in advance
Patric

C90 crankcases are indeed hard to find. I had a similar problem and ended up using Don Swords (Don's Dream Machines) STC SE02172AT allowing the use of an O-200 case in place of the C90. One important line from the STC:

"If 0-200 data plate is attached to 0-200 engine case, it must be removed and destroyed. The C-85/C-90 data plate must be transferred to the 0-200 case."

So make sure you get your data plate back from Divco if you want to go this route. It's a couple hundred bucks for the STC and you'll need to adapt the Lord engine mount bosses to conical. Don sells some adapters for this purpose, another couple hundred bucks.

Where are you located?

theres some 85 cases around, put your 90 stuff in it. and lotsa 85-90 rods and pistons around so thats not a problem. cams not to bad to find, your 90 cam if good is worth as much or more than a 85.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments so far.

I'm located in Germany

I did a bit of research today...and get more and more confused: I found the Continental Parts Catalogue online and saw this:
CRANKCASE ASSEMBLIES:
A series: 6759-A1
C series: 50325-A1 (C85-8, C90-8 )
6795-A1 (C75 C85-12, C90-12)

So from this document the C85-8 and C90-8 share the same Case..correct? But on our case I found the number: 6795 and not 50325....I don't get it.
The rest of our engine seems fine, Cylinders, Pistons are only 150h/4 Years old and look perfect, Cam, Crank, Rods look very good to...engine ran absolutely fine except for the oil-leak. So best, cheapest way for us seems to be to get the engine reassembled with a usable case. If we can find one.

C90 crankcases are indeed hard to find. I had a similar problem and ended up using Don Swords (Don's Dream Machines) STC SE02172AT allowing the use of an O-200 case in place of the C90. One important line from the STC:
"If 0-200 data plate is attached to 0-200 engine case, it must be removed and destroyed. The C-85/C-90 data plate must be transferred to the 0-200 case."
So make sure you get your data plate back from Divco if you want to go this route. It's a couple hundred bucks for the STC and you'll need to adapt the Lord engine mount bosses to conical. Don sells some adapters for this purpose, another couple hundred bucks.

Where are you located?

I know of an O-200 converted to an A-series accessory case that could be had for a reasonable price. While it appears to be recently overhauled, you could put your data plate on it, and a set of O-200 mount bushing adapters and you would be legal with the above mentioned STC. This engine should have a good crank in it you could sell for close to the price of the engine. PM me if you want details on the engine. (it's not mine)

-Cub Builder

Patric , I think I have an O-200 case I got with a bunch of cub parts. It doesn't have a Data tag on it. Sounds like what you need. Make a fair offer and it's yours. Randy

crankcaseservices.com

Thanks, I've sent them an email...

Thanks for the offered help with the O-200 case..I've also sent an email at Don'sDream Machines to learn more about the STC etc...
My prefered option would still be the simple -8F case cause it seems to be the cheapest option...but if I can't find one I may go the O-200 case route.

glenn, the pa11 mount is about ainch or inch and a half back from the 90 supercub mount right?

No idea? My cub I fly now had a C90-12 on it when built, got changed to a 0200 and the blisters on the top cowl had to be moved forward a little

Glenn

The adapters I have push things forward 1/4”. Had to cut small holes on the rear baffles for the upper engine mount bolt heads. I haven’t put the new nose bowl on yet, but I expect some adjustment of the cowl support rails will be necessary to make that fit too.

Thank you guys for all the replys :)

I found an C85-8F Case in the States and bought it on telephone. I think I will let it ship directly to an crankcase overhaul shop....so if nothing goes wrong (fingers crossed) I finaly found what I need :)

Thank you guys for all the replys :)

I found an C85-8F Case in the States and bought it on telephone. I think I will let it ship directly to an crankcase overhaul shop....so if nothing goes wrong (fingers crossed) I finaly found what I need :)

So...back to start.
The case I bought has been delivered to Divco for overhaul and turned out to be cracked beyond repair also.
So I still need a C85 or C90-8F case...

I am trying to buy a Divco overhauled C90 case. If I get it I will trade even for the equivalent - c-85-12 or C-90-12. Not probable; depends on several other folks - deadline is Wednesday. I'll check back.

I am trying to buy a Divco overhauled C90 case. If I get it I will trade even for the equivalent - c-85-12 or C-90-12. Not probable; depends on several other folks - deadline is Wednesday. I'll check back.

As a German guy my english is a bit limited and I'm not sure if I understand your post in a correct way.
C90-12 Cases are on stock at Divco...$3000, but unfortunately no -8 cases.-
I would have no problem to pay $3000 for a yellow tagged -8 case if one was on the market.

Yow!
Randy - tried to answer your PM, but even after erasing all but ten of my old messages it says I have too many stored and cannot answer.
Had no idea cases had gone to three grand! I love the Stroker - I will treasure the parts I have!
Divco used to be able to weld cracked cases - they did one for me with a broken main bearing support.

Yes..Divco can weld cracked cases. But not all cracks are repairable. Both cases I had there are cracked beyond repair....

Last edited:
Bummer...but thanks for your help.

I also tried to buy this engine: https://www.barnstormers.com/ad_detail.php?id=1539426&catid=18243
I was in contact with the seller via email...told him 3 days ago that we will buy it if he will ship the engine to us, nothing since.

Also tried to get more informations from Don's Dream Machine about the STC to convert a -12 into an -8..but also now reply after a few mails.
All in all a frustrating project so far...

There is an engine builder in South East Missouri that keeps an inventory of engines and parts. I'll check today and let you know.

Hi Patric,
did you talk to Dachsel or Loma Air already?
By the way... I operate a L-18C in southern Germany, too. Will you come to Piper-Treffen this year?
Bjoern

Back