• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

LONE STAR STOL Competition

After I did the panel over in FMD 180 I weighed it. Don’t remember what it was exactly but I thought it was mid to high 1500’s. Still has an interior and back seat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking like rain and IFR conditions will keep me home. The price you pay when going with a VFR airplane. Hoped to catch up with folks. Next chance is Triple Tree and SnF.
Lou

Lou....did that ever stop you before ;)

Good move staying home, though.

I'm concerned about the airlines though. They can't just stop flying? Money churning machine is grinding to a halt.

Tim

The Steve Henry show is worth the trip just to checkout the package he has put together. We watched him practicing for awhile yesterday after he pulled it from the trailer and put it together
The Yamaha Apex with the prop combo is unlike any plane you will have seen. The sound is unearthly, and the spoolup is so short from idle to redline. I’m not smart enough to describe it come see it yourself As far as STOL the thing is in a class by itself
jim

Steve
i might wander your way this morning if you’re around? Still eat lunch at Clayton’s? Love that BBQ
jim

Work is getting in my way. Hopefully have my Dad's wing together by tomorrow and he and my Mom can start covering it and I can get some practice in.

I'm here, looking at when is best to head over, maybe this afternoon. Spent some time with Steve and watching him practice at Oshkosh and you are right, you just have to be there. To cool.

Lou, we can tell you are getting old. ;) That is ok, less competition for that class. Will miss catching up.

I am not going now either. The memory of my flattened tent at New Holstein and holding on to the strut of my plane in the driving rain after it broke free from it's tie downs and rotated 180 degrees is too fresh. I am disappointed. Now all the other 180s will have a chance! 8)

That helium I put in the tires was expensive.

And yes, Steve, i am old. Your day is coming!

The Steve Henry show is worth the trip just to checkout the package he has put together. We watched him practicing for awhile yesterday after he pulled it from the trailer and put it together
The Yamaha Apex with the prop combo is unlike any plane you will have seen. The sound is unearthly, and the spoolup is so short from idle to redline. I’m not smart enough to describe it come see it yourself As far as STOL the thing is in a class by itself
jim

He has a power to weight ratio unlike any other, and he knows how to use it for best advantage. I bet on him, we Idaho boys have to stick together.

Speaking of that Apex engine, it has a clutch, so in a dead stick situation the prop is a big pin wheel. My take on that is, mucho drag, as compared to a stopped prop, what say you guys? When I do dead stick ridge soaring in the RANS, the prop is stopped obviously. The best way to figure this would be for me to fly with Steve, go up 1,000', where he'd be waiting for me...., then kill the engines and see who lands last. I guess a turbo prop, flying deadstick, windmills also?

Any talk of rescheduling because of the Corona virus? They say it effects the elderly the worse. I’d hate for older guys like Pierce and Tony to be exposed.;-)

Any talk of rescheduling because of the Corona virus? They say it effects the elderly the worse. I’d hate for older guys like Pierce and Tony to be exposed.;-)

At least you’ll be there with your cub to back up your talk...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"My 180 weighs 1068... or is it 1608... something like that"

And I thought Supercub pilots were big liars. In case you forgot, the three biggest lies at a Supercub fly-in:
1. My empty weight is 970
2. She cruises at 115 on 31" Bushwheels and 3" open main landing gear with a 82-41 Borer
3. I won the belt buckle at the big STOL contest

Thanks. cubscout

Well your close. Empty weight is 760
It cruises 70mph
And I won the gold buckle riding buckin horses

And if you get the Coronavirus eat a lime it makes it better

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

He has a power to weight ratio unlike any other, and he knows how to use it for best advantage. I bet on him, we Idaho boys have to stick together.

Speaking of that Apex engine, it has a clutch, so in a dead stick situation the prop is a big pin wheel. My take on that is, mucho drag, as compared to a stopped prop, what say you guys? When I do dead stick ridge soaring in the RANS, the prop is stopped obviously. The best way to figure this would be for me to fly with Steve, go up 1,000', where he'd be waiting for me...., then kill the engines and see who lands last. I guess a turbo prop, flying deadstick, windmills also?

In cruise, the first step after identifying the dead engine is to feather. On the twin turboprops I've flown there's an autofeather function that you can arm - feathers the dead engine automatically after both power levers have gone above 89% N1, for take-off and landing.

Yes, I realize that feathering a dead prop is the thing to do, when you have that capability. This is kind of a new deal, a fixed pitch prop, and one probably with a lot of pitch to handle the near 300 horsepower that Apex can put out when really tweaked liked Henry's is. It's a question that will probably only be answered by a Apex driver. How about a twin turboprop, deadstick, WITHOUT feathered props, how do they do? Probably doesn't ever happen.

How about a twin turboprop, deadstick, WITHOUT feathered props, how do they do? Probably doesn't ever happen.

If you don't get the prop feathered, it's a huge source of drag. Happens in training for sure, it'll leave your (usually right) leg shaky.

Yea it sucks being Kevin. You could be here with us watching it rain and telling lies. Bet your ears started burning last night when Tony, Eddie, Todd and I were comparing notes on the happiest ferrier of them all. 8) Tommorow is looking better and better, lots of Huskies here that need shaming. ;)

I tried telling my wife that the Taos ski valley was on lockdown. She said, “Nice try. Get your a$$ in the car.”

8CC99745-54B6-40F8-8742-2F77D593519F.jpeg

Attachments

• 8CC99745-54B6-40F8-8742-2F77D593519F.jpeg
    8CC99745-54B6-40F8-8742-2F77D593519F.jpeg
    221.9 KB · Views: 357
Doesn't suck for me. I saw the writing on the wall and stayed home. Clear. sunny, and 80 in South Florida!

Jeez Eddie. You damn fun hater:p
7174D43F-2A6E-48DF-9B85-773D94C32E10.jpeg

Attachments

• 7174D43F-2A6E-48DF-9B85-773D94C32E10.jpeg
    7174D43F-2A6E-48DF-9B85-773D94C32E10.jpeg
    327 KB · Views: 203
Back