• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Rodent prevention

L16driver

Hi, i am interested to hear from the group how everyone deals with the mouse problems associated with owning and hangering. I fly semi-regular( atleast once a week). I am diligent to not leave food debris in the plane. I still have issues time and again with mice and what they leave behind. Attached i have a picture of my most recent attempt to keep them out. I formed and rolled sheet metal hoops to go around each of the main wheels and tailwheel. We shall see... I look forward to the groups thoughts on this.
Thanks in advance! IMG_9888.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9888.JPG
    IMG_9888.JPG
    210.9 KB · Views: 287
Too humane for me, just diverting them. Glue boards catch and kill them. I just ordered another case yesterday. Not for a plane, though.

You might try nuclear weapons.....those little rascals are very determined. But if you find something a bit milder that works, let us all know.

MTV

d35a19b30affde0860ffa92c122df5ba.jpg
seriously i still like the good old victor mouse trap with a chunk of cheese. feels like im after coyotes. just set up a trapline. these new ones look like a must have.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4FSHIlRjis finger saver type for the chickens.

have two hangar cats
Yeah - and they proof-load test their catching mechanism by climbing pantlegs!

On the other hand, as one might guess, they're amazingly friendly. So most likely, they're stealing the old man's beer and taking it outside to a secret hideaway to share with the mice.

Last edited:
Ive tried everything cept the nuclear option

What seems to work is peppermint. Crazy but since i started using this candy no more mouses

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I work with a guy who collects classic cars. He said a lot of collectors use vanilla tree shaped air fresheners. I've had mice get into my 185 so figured it would be a cheap method to try. I use 3 of them. I set one on the tailwheel head and the other 2 on the steering arms and cable. If a mouse did try to get in via the tailwheel it would probably knock the air freshener onto the floor letting you know its time to start searching inside the plane. I haven't had any problems since.

I've yet to try this one - heard it a few days ago

Mix tasty rodent food (non poisonous) with Polyfilla powder and place in a suitable place.
Polyfilla mixes with gastric juices - hardens - blocks gut - rodent dies!

The big advantage is that poison bates do not go further up the food chain when the carcass is scavenged.

Frank

PS - In the US try Spackle powder

3 vehicles and 2 airplanes in my hangar and the only ones that attract mice are the 180 and my wife's car. We've recently found dryer sheets keep them out of her car.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. My take away so far is combining the rings around wheels and glue traps.

Poison is a no-go due to the chances of death and decomp in the plane or hanger.

Happy new year!

glue traps suffer from dust, in a very short time it drops off there effectiveness. and 1 mouse you gotta toss em or put up with the stink. and ive got screenings piles and cattle in the yard, so i dont buy them anymore. those rings should work real well. my first plane was a low houred 1966 cessna 150 barn find for 2500 bucks, getting it home, another story, getting out 10 gallons of mouse home in one wing, never again. plane should have stayed in the barn. again the rings should really help. ive got my harem of fed but hungry cats and victor snap traps and things are good. rats in the feed pile-12 gauge.

Last edited:
Here's my collection of electronic traps I just brought down from the attic a few days ago. In 2 years of operation they got 1 mouse. My assortment of baited spring traps also got 1 during the same time. Glue boards in one year are at 9 or 10. And one small snake. No dust issues here.

These electronic traps are a waste of time. They'll get pitched. I do have ultrasonic repellers and I think they worked initially but not so well now. Maybe they wear out?

IMG_0725.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_0725.JPG
    IMG_0725.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 214
I use a product that I get from our local farm supply store. It’s call fresh cab and it is a rodent repellent that I use in the plane and my boat. No mice since I started using it. Cost around $14 for a box of 4. Nice pleasant clove smell in the cub when I open the door too!

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

After watching a hangar neighbor weekly empty multiple mice from his Victor Tin Cats, I got my own. They catch mice in our hangar and in our ground level apartment.

After watching a hangar neighbor weekly empty multiple mice from his Victor Tin Cats, I got my own. They catch mice in our hangar and in our ground level apartment.

Googled this, I see it's a "humane" trap (live capture).
Is he releasing live mice?
Maybe it's the same ones over & over.
A short roundtrip outside & back isn't a bad exchange for a free meal.

I have a windup live trap. Catches up to 8 or 9 at a time. I suppose you could call it humane, but not how I use it. I just carry it out to a straight-sided trough, call the cats and dog, and then open it over the trough.

Our cats and dog think it's the greatest fun we can have.

Vic

Sent from my SM-J320V using SuperCub.Org mobile app

I have a windup live trap. Catches up to 8 or 9 at a time. I suppose you could call it humane, but not how I use it. I just carry it out to a straight-sided trough, call the cats and dog, and then open it over the trough.

Our cats and dog think it's the greatest fun we can have.

Vic

Just leave them in there for a few days...you'll only have to dump one or maybe 2 that are left....but lots of feet and tails.
John

Mostly dead. The live ones got the heel of a boot. The mice in my traps are usually dead when I remember to check and find them. The ones that are still scratching get a shot of starting fluid under an old towel so they go to sleep permanently.

Just leave them in there for a few days...you'll only have to dump one or maybe 2 that are left....but lots of feet and tails.
John

Right. I did that last winter when I forgot the trap for a month, and found a mummified mouse wrapped around the trigger mechanism after it tried to burrow out under it. I never found time or fortitude to try to extract it....

Back