• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Rodent prevention

I leave a roll of toilet paper in the baggage and check it each time I get in. The mouse will chew on it for nest material rather than the cords in the wings.....eventually they get thirsty or hungry and leave the plane for a nice meal of poison and a drink and die out there.....

I’ve been using the packets as above, look like bean bags , and toss them in all the planes. Seems to work good. The moth balls are not effective and are highly toxic. Had a guy load a tri-Pacer with them, you would gag in it. Told him it wasn’t safe to fly that way.

We use Kness Ketch All wind up mouse traps at our farm shop, which also serves as a hanger. As others have stated, the mice are usually in some state of decomposition by the time we check them, but if a live mouse is found it is humanly dumped in a bucket of used oil. The traps are placed every 20'-50' along the wall. Being it is a farm shop, mice are probably brought in each time a piece of equipment or a truck that has been setting a while comes in the door. So far the Ketch All supplemented with baited victor style seem to be keeping up as we haven't seen a nest anywhere so far. We also have a few of the old style baited victor traps to mix it up a bit as it seems some mice won't go into the box traps. Glue traps work good in truck cabs and might not be a bad idea to put one on the floor of the cockpit or in the baggage if you have a resident mouse in your plane. The 5 gallon bucket traps with the rolling bottle are good in cold storage where we don't check very often. Used oil in the bottom of the bucket works very well as it doesn't freeze and the odor of dead mice isn't as bad. We also use bait stations with poison in cold storage buildings. 3-5 Ketch All traps would be plenty in a T hanger and should run $80-$125, a small price to pay to minimize mice misery.

the ramp to plank into 5gallon bucket with 4 inches of water in it works well. One after another going for that peanut butter they walk the plank and fall in.
FVuAWxl.jpg

Had a freeloader in my truck last winter shitting all over, cut a small gallon plastic container open was about 6 inches hi, put in on the passenger floor with a little ramp leading to a plank with peanut butter and the next morning the little **** machine was done for.

Last edited:
I’m going to build an “electric perch” for this spring’s nesting and crapping season in my hanger...400 volts ought to do it....

baits.

1. Small slices of hot dog (cooked or uncooked)
  2. A dollop of maple syrup (mice have a sweet tooth)
  3. Bacon bits that you have cooked up yourself or even raw – not the ones from a jar or can. Bacon grease can also work well.
  4. Smooth or chunky peanut butter
  5. Gumdrops or other sweet candies (softer candies as opposed to harder ones)
  6. Chocolate (mice love chocolate!)
  7. Strong smelling soft cheese
  8. Bits of cracker mixed with butter
  9. Bird Seed or Nuts
  10. Pet Food (wet cat or dog food is especially effective)

WE also use Fresh Cab. It works well to keep rodents away, they do not like the scent.

The problem with bait traps is it also attracts critters in before they get caught in the trap.

Larry.

The bait we have been using for years is peanut butter chips super glued to the plan on the traps. We bought a bag and keep it in the freezer, last for years

Back