• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Super cub landing air speeds

The difference between a power on stall and power off stall is about 3 mph. So if you are trying to land slow it is easier with power on. You can do a steep approach with power on it just takes practice. I can do both buT prefer power on with slower speed and better tail control.
DENNY

In cold winter weather power off landings are a gamble to see if the engine will respond if the relative wind changes speed or direction. Airspeed with elevator and trim - descent rate with power - both stable if able to landing for me.

Gary

1400 with a big flat prop is still a steep approach in the Cub i fly. Power off it seems like I need 10 mph more to have a chance at the flare. The 86/38 has a LOT of drag at idle. I wonder if it blocks some airflow to the tail as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Everyone’s numbers may vary, but I feel you were looking for numbers...

I can remember approximates on all my former planes:
1943 J5 Cub 100hp w/VGs 70 downwind, 50-55 base, 50 final, 45 apron, touchdown on the numbers @38-40

1951 PA18 150. 70 downwind, 50 base, 45-50 turning final, 40-45 apron, touchdown @ 38-40 power off, 35-38 with power.

2015 Exp Fat Cub, VGs, Slats, 175hp.... 70 downwind, 50 base, 40 apron, touchdown @ 35-38 power off, 28-34 with power.

practice practice practice....most of my landings are more by feel...I rarely look at the airspeed and such...I have flown about 5 different super cubs and each are very similar to the numbers listed above give or take. As stated, get up at a comfortable altitude and slow her down and feel it...

Just to make sure that somebody gives a real answer to the original poster, I go 80 downwind, 70 mid-base, 60 at the start of final then "I couldn't even tell ya" as the final progresses. I do not ever want to make the turns at a low speed. Too many preventable stall / spin accidents in the NTSB database. My '79 Super Cub 150 has VGs and its stall is somewhere below 40 - it is really hard to tell what the actual stall speed is because it is so mushy. I am over 300 landings at this point and I still feel like I am a newcomer, but I want to add my feeling that there is nothing wrong with (and probably a lot of good common sense with) going by the numbers until you are established on the final.

Normal cruise downwind. Into the white arc (below 80) for half-flaps on base, then gradually to three-point attitude or maybe slightly faster and full flaps on final. Modulate sink with power. I do not know the touchdown indicated airspeed at three-point or slightly tail first. If power-off, a little more nose-down than three-point, for the flare.

Just to make sure that somebody gives a real answer to the original poster, I go 80 downwind, 70 mid-base, 60 at the start of final then "I couldn't even tell ya" as the final progresses. I do not ever want to make the turns at a low speed. Too many preventable stall / spin accidents in the NTSB database. My '79 Super Cub 150 has VGs and its stall is somewhere below 40 - it is really hard to tell what the actual stall speed is because it is so mushy. I am over 300 landings at this point and I still feel like I am a newcomer, but I want to add my feeling that there is nothing wrong with (and probably a lot of good common sense with) going by the numbers until you are established on the final.

Perfect example of learning what you aircraft is doing up high. Your playing it safe because your not sure what speeds work yet. It's important to do slow flight maneuvers when you first start flying any new to you aircraft to "discover" landing speeds. But you also need to go back up after you have a hundred + hrs now that your starting to feel at home and really " discover" what you can get away with . If you get rusty go back up for a tune-up

Glenn

Just curious what airspeeds you all are flying your super cubs on base, long and short final.
What I've worked out for the ASI I use (stall around 30 indicated) is stay above 55 mph for clean maneuvering and above 45 with flaps. That allows up to 45 degree bank angles with margin. I slow to 40 on final. I like to go do a stall series at a realistic weight and power setting (could be power off) recording stall speed for every bank angle and flap setting I might use (30/45/60) with 1,2,3 notches. Gives me somewhere to start with a new airplane.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Last edited:
Cover the airspeed indicator and start flying by looking out the window(s). The airplane will know the correct speed.

Cover up the airspeed indicator.

Pitch is airspeed, not power.

Power is altitude.

Very, very few pilots use this important maxim.

You can't stall at a low angle of attack, no matter what the airspeed. If your need to climb; add power not pitch.

Learn how to slip. Your safety margin should be altitude, not speed.

King Brown said : " Mention of carrying 1400 into landing: not done when I was taught 60-some years ago. Landings arrived from glide, high approach, slips if necessary. "

At a larger airfield, come over the threshold at 100 feet at idle. Use a slip to slow down and maintain a fairly flat angle of attack. Drop the nose slightly if decent rate is too high. Yes, drop the nose. This is glider landing 101. Leave the power at idle and learn how to fly the airplane, not the engine.

Later you can add angle of attack to slow down, but this is much later after you have spent hours up high memorizing the angle your cub stalls at. Practice dragging the airplane along at the stall angle and beyond for miles. Use only the rudder to lift a wing.

Here is my last landing on video. You can see both "ground speed" and the "indicated air speed" a little to the right. Both in mph. Keep in mind camera is not in front of IAS indicator..

Airplane is a slightly modified Suber Cub clone, with slats.

I can remember only one thing from Langewiesche's classic "Stick and Rudder" of more than half-century ago:when things aren't right, light on the stick. reduce angle of attack. I needed it twice, both times at low level, moose turn and too close to departing Beaver. Counterintuitive, heart in my mouth, but worked to my surprise.

I have not seen in mentioned, but your airspeed light will be different then when heavy...

Hence why we say fly by feel!

Back