• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

2020 Insurance Premium Increases?

180_jeff

Any of you guys recently get your 2020 insurance premium quote? How much of an increase? I am with BWI and they basically said brace yourself for a big premium increase this year.

This was discussed here recently on another thread. I don't have it right at my fingertips.

What insurance companies are out there that insure super cubs, especially landing "off airport" and then would also do floats when I go that way?

I reinsured with BWI a couple months ago--
saw an increase but not what I'd call a big one.
Actually switched back to BWI from another broker--
paid a little more than the competitor wanted,
but Bill White has been a big help to the skywagon community so I didn't mind.
The wheel landing article he wrote years ago was worth the extra all by itself.

What insurance companies are out there that insure super cubs, especially landing "off airport" and then would also do floats when I go that way?

Your use of the term “Insurance Companies” suggests unfamiliarity with how most insurers operate when it comes to aircraft insurance. Most companies that offer insurance services are in fact brokers only. They don’t insure anything. The broker shops your request on the market of underwriters, who actually make the quote, and assume the risk.

The one exception I’m aware of s AVEMCO, which is a direct insurer. AVEMCO does cover off airport operations. They tend to be a little conservative as to which markets he’ll insure.

In any case, choose a broker and ask THEM your questions specifically. Then READ the policy carefully....they are often full of exclusions.

MTV

I have coverage with US Specialty Insurance Company through Falcon Insurance. They insure my super cub for off airport use (floats/wheels/skis) and my coverage is prorated for when I'm on floats.

I have coverage with US Specialty Insurance Company through Falcon Insurance. They insure my super cub for off airport use (floats/wheels/skis) and my coverage is prorated for when I'm on floats.

But, again, you should ASK for specific coverages any time you're requesting a quote. Just because something is covered for one individual doesn't imply it will be for everyone.

MTV

Avemco does off airport stuff no problem. Floats wheels and skis, and they will prorate float time. They did not increase my cub insurance this year. Not cheap but a great company to deal with when you have an issue.
DENNY

I just received via hearsay that AIG is done with old guys. I have heard that sort of thing from two different sources. A student wanted a Fairchild checkout. Since I don't do a lot of instruction in other folks' airplanes, I usually ask for, and get, for free, a waiver of subrogation and often "additional insured."

I do have a way around this - for about $1200/ year I can add hull to my CFI policy. Spread that over, say, six airplanes, and my dual will cost $280/flight.

That is last year's rates.

Most young instructors go bare - but then, it is difficult to find young instructors with extensive tailwheel experience.

My insurance went up about 10% last July, I’m up here in AK and am insured for wheels and skis with Starr. I have just under 15k TT with 1400 in tailwheel stuff and 0 accidents. I did land on 2 paved strips last year which may be a yearly record for me. I landed on the paved strip in Kotzebue and in Mc Grath last year coming back from the Brooks Range.
My family is in the insurance business....as important as your policy is your agent is just as important. He is the only guy fighting for you when things go south. It’s nice not to deal directly with the guy holding the cards.
From what I understand what was said earlier about industry wide increases in aviation is the unfortunate truth.

My policy w/Avemco renews next month, and I just updated my hrs with them today. 350TT, 305TW, flying 105 hrs per year. Super Cub on wheels parked outside in Fairbanks.

8% decrease!

Jeff

Avemco was always good to me - took time to answer all my questions. But I save around $800/year on two airplanes by using a broker. If the AIG and similar underwriters get crazy about this age thing I may wind up back with Avemco. Starr does my CFI, and I may have to add hull to that for these exotic checkouts. CFI insurance is more than double plain old airplane insurance for the same limits.

And just in case you missed my other posts on the subject, my CFI insurance does not cover me in my own aircraft, and my regular policy does not cover flight instruction. Both cover me when I fly other aircraft not as an instructor.

Avemco was always good to me - took time to answer all my questions. But I save around $800/year on two airplanes by using a broker. If the AIG and similar underwriters get crazy about this age thing I may wind up back with Avemco. Starr does my CFI, and I may have to add hull to that for these exotic checkouts. CFI insurance is more than double plain old airplane insurance for the same limits.

And just in case you missed my other posts on the subject, my CFI insurance does not cover me in my own aircraft, and my regular policy does not cover flight instruction. Both cover me when I fly other aircraft not as an instructor.

Bob,

Take a look at SAFE flight instructor insurance. Not sure what their rates would be for CFI insurance for you, but worth a look.

MTV

I am a SAFE member precisely for that insurance. I carry a million liability. It is roughly twice what my Cub liability costs. It does not work in my own aircraft. It only works in experimentals after I get five hours in type.

Hull is over a grand for reasonable coverage, but that doesn't cover a new 172 or a Cirrus - those premiums are not practical.

So, if a student wants a flight review in his/her airplane, and I can't afford to buy it with lunch money, I get a waiver of subrogation from their insurer. We roll it into a ball, the insurer pays, and cannot turn around and sue me.

So far, no claims. I intend to keep it that way.

Back