• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Installing VG's

2ws

I was looking on peoples advise on the best adhesive to apply VG's on wings and tail section?
Thanks your time!
Wade

Micro uses a 2 part lock tite. You can use gorilla gel super glue if your stuck. They hold nicely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone know where I can get the templates for vgs on a 12 without having to purchase the STC? I’m not even sure which manufacturer made the ones I have.

Is one template vg placement different than the other manufacturer’s and,if so, is one preferred?

I have a set of them from an old set of wings that I haven’t put on my new wings.

thanks.

If the old wings came from this aircraft, the installation should be in the airframe logs. Get the manufacturer's info and contact them. They will usually work with you if you are rebuilding or recovering. If the old wings came off a different aircraft, then you'll need to buy the STC to make it legal on your aircraft.

Web

Anyone know where I can get the templates for vgs on a 12 without having to purchase the STC? I’m not even sure which manufacturer made the ones I have.

Is one template vg placement different than the other manufacturer’s and,if so, is one preferred?

I have a set of them from an old set of wings that I haven’t put on my new wings.

thanks.

are the VG's all in one line? then it's a micro kit... if staggered it's the boundary layer kit?

micro sells a "repaint kit", stoddard's usually has them, comes with VG's and templates.... you must have purchased full VG's kit before for same N-number...

If the old wings came from this aircraft, the installation should be in the airframe logs. Get the manufacturer's info and contact them. They will usually work with you if you are rebuilding or recovering. If the old wings came off a different aircraft, then you'll need to buy the STC to make it legal on your aircraft.

Web

Micro sells a repaint kit. Comes with everything for a couple hundred bucks. It’s the complete kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3M clear double sided tape available at Car Quest. Works very well.

I used this and it has held up for several years. I will mention that during the winter (below freezing temperature) I bumped one with a fuel container and it popped off. I had a heck of a time finding it. Guess where it landed? Inside the wheel behind the brake caliper!! Warmed it up a little and stuck it back on. Still holding, and that was a couple of years ago.

I installed a set of Micro VG's several years ago on my C150TD,
and used the two-part (spray & goop) 3M adhesive supplied with the kit.
What a PITA.
The spray was a bit messy, but the main problem was the goop (aka liquid) part--
it just wanted to stay in a gob on the applicator, instead of dobbing & spreading onto the base of the VG.
Kinda like trying to get a booger off your finger.
Maybe heating up the liquid would make it easier to work with, I dunno.

Micro's 303 glue is tough stuff but is only as good as the wing's top coat if painted. When mine came off on three fabric planes the top coat (Stits Polytone) went with the VG and left the silver behind. Probably better when stuck to painted metal.

Gary

are the VG's all in one line? then it's a micro kit... if staggered it's the boundary layer kit?

micro sells a "repaint kit", stoddard's usually has them, comes with VG's and templates.... you must have purchased full VG's kit before for same N-number...

The BLR kit (now owned by Cub Crafters) isn't approved on the 12.

MTV

So I just ordered a VG kit (Micro Aero..) and mistakenly order a non painted set... Looks like they are alodined. Can I just paint em with some spray paint w/ primer or do I need to get fancy with this...

daedgerton, I installed mine (Micro Aero) ten years ago and used only a primer and thereafter the paint. Make sure that the side where you have to glue them on the wing is without paint. I used the included two part Locktite set, worked like a treat. Just stick all VG‘s on a paint tape and you will have no problems painting all together...

There is no need to prime according to the instructions and type of anodization used. I paint them with the same thing I paint the airplane with. The VGs on my Super Cub are not painted and have had no issues except me knocking them off with gas cans.

The hardest parts to paint are sharp edges since paint crawls away from edges. VGs are just about nothing but edges. Shooting a primer coat helps the top coat stick. Otherwise the edges will be nearly transparent. A light primer coat followed by few light top coats left to tack in between yields the best results. But, if you don't care? Krylon away.

IMG_5171.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5171.JPG
    IMG_5171.JPG
    505.1 KB · Views: 173
I have Micro's on my 12. I realize you've never seen it. They came when I bought it so I had them replaced at rebuild. I'd love to fly the same airplane before/after to really see the difference first hand. There is a certain PITA factor to them when washing/detailing. I'm kinda wishing I'd have gone with the Dakota slotted LE instead.

I put VG’a on my PA12-150 after I bought. Significant improvement in slow speed handling and dramatic change stall characteristics. Stalls weren’t exactly exciting before but at least you got a noticeable break at the full stall. Now they’re flat out boring. If you’ve ever flown one of Rutan’s canard airplanes it’s a lot like that - just mushes with no sharp break.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

One more thing - before you paint those VG’s - clean them carefully - particularly the edges.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

I have never primed VGs and had no issues with the paint edging. The anodization has a texture like primer.
20200122_092334.jpg

Attachments

• 20200122_092334.jpg
    20200122_092334.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 611
Back