• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

8GCBC scout info

busbart1

scappoose Oregon
Looking for some place to ask options on the scout .
have a carbon cub now, have had maules and pa - 18. want a better 2 seat cross country airplane with some damn fuel cap.

Bart

Last edited by a moderator:
Check over on champcitabriadecathlon forum. One participant just bought one, and is exploring its capabilities. Do you need a link?

Dated info here but in the mid "70's I flew one N88417 a few hundred for State of Alaska wildlife and fishery studies. Wood spar O-360 with fixed 80/40 (?) and 70 gal fuel. Could be flown for 8 hrs doing reasonable airspeed for the mission. Now with light CS props and upgrades like metal spars larger flaps VG's and whatever they would be a better choice. EW 1300-1400+- carried by a 180 sq foot wing with NACA 4412 airfoil to about 2150 GW. Less chord and thickness than a Cub but faster and more efficient. Stalls in the upper '40's lower '50's depending on weight. Tough airframe but subject to water intrusion into the fuselage so corrosion monitoring is needed. Wood floor with carpeting and fuselage frame formers. The best heat and comfort in a tandem airplane I've flown.

They are an excellent go and do airplane especially with an airframe rebuilt for light weight and better prop efficiency on wheels skis and floats.

Gary

I've owned a couple of Scouts and sold the last one to replace with a Husky. It is comfortable, but sits very differently than a Cub. To me it feels about like being in the belly of the whale. Way more plush than a Cub or especially a Husky which feels tinny inside. (I often though you might be able to change to Kydex panels or something other than Husky metal. I also dislike the color of Husky interiors - dead dull cream/gray). The Scout is good - beware clogged fuel vents, I landed with two empty tanks on the left side and full ones on the right. Also the fuel gauges aren't much good. I don't care much for the way the flaps work. Seems like they don't add much lift IMO. My complaint was that you needed to fill all 70 gallons to be sure of what you had - unless you get a digital fuel flow. Otherwise you end up carrying around excess fuel weight. Also you need to watch for the wood spar cracking AD and also the AD about nails coming out of the ribs. On one airplane I could tap the underwing fabric and hear nails bouncing around. I opted for Huskies instead. Very fast and near PA-18 performance in and out, but a bit cramped at times. 50 gallons of fuel makes 500 mile range for me - as long as I had portable coffee. The Husky gauges are not quite as good as PA-18 and they're pretty accurate in level flight but perhaps too optimistic in 3 point. If it's for fun, I suggest a long sit-in to see how it feels. Scout has Bush-Plane looks on the outside, more like a Toyota Camry on the inside. Easy to fly.

I've owned a couple of Scouts and sold the last one to replace with a Husky. It is comfortable, but sits very differently than a Cub. To me it feels about like being in the belly of the whale. Way more plush than a Cub or especially a Husky which feels tinny inside. (I often though you might be able to change to Kydex panels or something other than Husky metal. I also dislike the color of Husky interiors - dead dull cream/gray). The Scout is good - beware clogged fuel vents, I landed with two empty tanks on the left side and full ones on the right. Also the fuel gauges aren't much good. I don't care much for the way the flaps work. Seems like they don't add much lift IMO. My complaint was that you needed to fill all 70 gallons to be sure of what you had - unless you get a digital fuel flow. Otherwise you end up carrying around excess fuel weight. Also you need to watch for the wood spar cracking AD and also the AD about nails coming out of the ribs. On one airplane I could tap the underwing fabric and hear nails bouncing around. I opted for Huskies instead. Very fast and near PA-18 performance in and out, but a bit cramped at times. 50 gallons of fuel makes 500 mile range for me - as long as I had portable coffee. The Husky gauges are not quite as good as PA-18 and they're pretty accurate in level flight but perhaps too optimistic in 3 point. If it's for fun, I suggest a long sit-in to see how it feels. Scout has Bush-Plane looks on the outside, more like a Toyota Camry on the inside. Easy to fly.

Excellent info thank you. I am looking at new and that will eliminate some/ all of the spar , fuel gauge, nail issues . Have maybe 200 hrs in citabria, 300 in maules, 800-900 or so in cubs. Have flown the 180 HP scout with trailblazer prop on 31's..... pretty nice, also went and flew new Husky with 200 hp, was just not what I was looking for. super nice built but too much stuff in it. I travel mostly 150 miles ranch to ranch. I have flown the FX and was really impressed with the power/ feel. have not flown X cub but am concerned with the low build numbers.

concerns on new fangled hi powered engines.... electronic ignition/ which I currently have on Carbon cub, Fuel injection/ I have always been a carberated type guy but may have to change that attitude. Looking for a new plane that hopfully does not have a bunch of down time and or issues. seems like manufactures stuff so much crap in a plane these days.

Bart

thanks for info. was a bit worried about EW my last cub was 1150 EW and I am loving the carbon cub at 900 especily going in to the one farm strip at 400 - 500 ft. easy peasy. sure the scout would do it just not the margin of safety ?? Dang last maule was 16oo and was just no fun down at slow speeds..... and really on the fence about injection, electronic ignition, and HP ... seems a 180 now days is a small engine..... Not looking to be top dog just reliable.

Bart

thanks I will check it out tonight,..... got the room to build and time but really need a turn key unit.....

Excellent info thank you. I am looking at new and that will eliminate some/ all of the spar , fuel gauge, nail issues . Have maybe 200 hrs in citabria, 300 in maules, 800-900 or so in cubs. Have flown the 180 HP scout with trailblazer prop on 31's..... pretty nice, also went and flew new Husky with 200 hp, was just not what I was looking for. super nice built but too much stuff in it. I travel mostly 150 miles ranch to ranch. I have flown the FX and was really impressed with the power/ feel. have not flown X cub but am concerned with the low build numbers.

concerns on new fangled hi powered engines.... electronic ignition/ which I currently have on Carbon cub, Fuel injection/ I have always been a carberated type guy but may have to change that attitude. Looking for a new plane that hopfully does not have a bunch of down time and or issues. seems like manufactures stuff so much crap in a plane these days.

Bart

You should fly a 180hp Husky, different animal than the 200. You can get a Husky as loaded as you can imagine or as basic as you desire. I am very happy with mine. With the proper power setting and proper mixture management you can go nearly 1000 miles no wind to dry tanks at Super Cub speeds. Is that enough range? It’s an amazing miles per gallon airplane. If not a Husky then the new X-Cub is probably the other option that may suit your needs/mission.

Last edited:
I have not flown the Scout (had a chance, but zero time and the insurer said no - even with 500 hours in Champs and Decathlons and no accidents/claims!). If I were buying brand new, and wanted a relatively fast taildragger with comfort, I would choose the 160 GCAA. My preference in lightplanes goes J3, lightweight 160 Super Cub, Decathlon, C-180, and Husky last. I really got a kick out of the Carbon Cub, but have only three landings in it solo, and cannot justify the price for my kind of flying.

I found the Scout to be reasonably priced. Skis, amphibious floats all worked well. However, it’s not a cub and the following is small compared. I personally found helicopters more fun for the coast of Oregon and Hawaii. Cubcrafters has kits and Certified which shows the highest level of dedication to its customers. Not sure where ACA will be in let’s say ten years? The fuel system is a bit esoteric.

A Scout amphibious worked for SE Alaska:

Helo best for Hawaii:

Last edited:
Best to test fly all the options then decide. I suspect the best choice would pop to the top within a day after flying and looking them over. The brain works like that...just give it some time to digest what it's fed and you'll soon know if there's an answer.

Gary

What you need to know? Owned PA18A and 2 Scouts, back with a Scout.
have a carbon cub now, have had maules and pa - 18. want a better 2 seat cross country airplane with some damn fuel cap.

Bart

This Bob Barrows airplane , his tandem " Patrol" is a very thought out
airplane. Faster than the Scout, about as roomie. But lands slow as a Cub. I think we are going to be seeing ALOT more of these in the near future.
For your mission you should go out of your way to fly the Patrol! Then fly a new Scout. You will know right away which one to buy!
Good Luck
E

Sent from my LM-X210 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

180 or new 210, trailblazer 80 "? carb or injected? new flying tail? I am leaning towards 180 , carb, 29" or 31" ABW , trailblazer prop. VFR, G-3 garman??? Flew one and liked. any AD's on newer that you know of ? and concerned with weight ...

One little nuance is the #2600 restricted category. The 2600lbs GW is only for spraying but, does say something about it’s flying characteristics. God forbid anyone on supercub.org flys over GW. :lol:

“A21CE_Rev_16.pdf” said:
Restricted Category (utilized for dispensing operations) (+17.0) to (+19.2) at 2600 lbs.(+10.5) to (+19.2) at 1650 lbs. or less
Straight line variation between points given

https://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_...c0102d86257aef006c5bb2/$FILE/A21CE_Rev_16.pdf

note: for entertainment only

good info there. going to fly back to factory in Jan and check out the nuts and bolts of the thing. The one I flew in Caldwell had a very thick seat and was uncomfortable looking left right. I think the thought must have be out over the front. I see a strut Attach fitting recurring inspection on that data sheet. Looking to stay clear of that type of stuff.......

I always start at the factory when excited about a new aircraft. Also, stop by Wipaire if interested in amphibs.

Sent you a PM.
Fly the competition, do the math, crunch the numbers, if the shoe fits????? I wanted a robust build non LSA with range, heat, speed, and decent performance. I don't mountain hop for Dall sheep so flyweight aircraft not important. I need to legally carry a passenger for official duties on occasion. Numbers need to work. Planes terribly overpriced, some not so much as others IMO.

180 or new 210, trailblazer 80 "? carb or injected? new flying tail? I am leaning towards 180 , carb, 29" or 31" ABW , trailblazer prop. VFR, G-3 garman??? Flew one and liked. any AD's on newer that you know of ? and concerned with weight ...

If you go with a Scout that is pretty much the way I would go, 180 with composite prop, MT Ultra or Trailblazer. If you are going to put it on floats check into what LEGAL useful load will be on the airplane you are considering. My dad wanted to put his Scout on amphib floats but the legal useful load was very low.

Bart:
I currently own a 1997 Scout with 70 gallon tanks and have a new MT prop on it. I can give you my opinion on it if you contact me. I have owned a 1998 Husky A1-A that I put an MT prop on also. I also have owned 2 PA-18-150 Supercubs. They are all great in their own way.
But, I am 6-4 and 225 lbs now, so I like the room in the Scout! I can still get into some decent strips and I can cruise 6+ hours if my bladder can take it...
Randy S.

Lots of great experience already given. If you want more - Amy has some time flying the Scout at pretty close to edge of envelope performance. She’s got it on amphibs now. You could send her an email through her website (link in article)
https://generalaviationnews.com/2018/01/18/pilot-perspectives-amy-hoover/

Bart

Back