• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Taylorcraft and M2000 Aeros

skukum12

The Last Frontier
Have a T-cart sitting here with NON tapered axles. I believe they are non tapered because the calipers say 1.5 inches from the bearing stop to the threads. Soooo....the M2000 Aeros that came with the plane have 1.5 inch pedestals and no bushings.

The question: Are bushings required for the installion or do the axles get greased and skis simply just slid on?

Thanks Joe

On my 1941 Taylorcraft the Aero 2000's go metal to metal with proper grease for lube between. Aero makes aluminum 1.5 to 1.25 adapter sleeves for smaller straight axles like old Cubs. I have Grove straight 1.5" axle adapters (sleeves) over the Taylorcraft factory tapered axle. They bolt to the brake torque outer flange on the lower gear cluster. There's also some 1.5" gear around with no adapter for later models.

I suggest putting one or two thin washers between the ski and inner bearing stop or brake plate to minimize wear but it's not specified for that application as far as I know. Aero Ski may know more (http://aeroski.net and http://www.aeroskimfg.com/wheel-replacement.html). Depending on gear they use the factory small nut and fitting washers on the end of the threaded taper, or 1.5" axle nuts if no adapter.

What Taylorcraft are you working on? There's at least a couple of 1.5" adapters. Grove sells a one piece bolt on with a machined raised inner bearing stop. Atlee sells (or sold) a straight adapter sleeve with separate slip on inner and outer bearing stop bushings. There's also 1.5" landing gear around that doesn't use adapters.

And to make it even more confusing I've seen skis slid on to axles both with and without the inner bearing stop if the stop is removable like on some planes. Federal recommends two inner washers with no bearing stop for their A-models on a Taylorcraft with tapered axle.

Gary

Last edited:
'46 BC12-D

I looked at the axles and didn't see any sleeves(Aero sells them as does Atlee). They measure 1.5 all the way across including the threads.

It looks as though the bearing stops are permanent and that was good advice to place a thin washer between it and the ski. I will take some pictures tomorrow and it may help with the discussion. This T-cart stuff is pretty simple but I don't like re-inventing the wheel because it tends to get too expensive...I will try to find a pic of the tapered axles so I know what I am looking at.

Time to go into the pucker brush. By sleeves I assume you mean axle adapters not bearing stop bushings?

Below are the factory tapered axle and a tapered axle with Atlee's adapter. The AD (with slid-on bearing bushing steps) and Grove (with the machined inner bearing step) straight 1.5" adapters are unthreaded and both stop short of the factory tapered threaded end. If you have a solid 1.5" axle with no adapter and 1.5" threaded end with machined bearing step it's something someone built. It's done in Alaska and they are a very nice piece of work. AFAIK Taylorcraft used tapered axles through the F-19 in the 1970's.

Edit: Added a small pic of Federal's tapered axle adapter (lower right) with thrust washer and a pic of the Grove adapters (upper next to rims).

Gary

Attachments

• image_9422.jpg
    image_9422.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 1,083
  • image_9423.jpg
    image_9423.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 1,197
  • image_11898.jpg
    image_11898.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 1,006
  • Picture Banner.jpg
    Picture Banner.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
After some research it appears the models F-21 and F-22 Taylorcraft that followed the F-19 used a straight axle landing gear. UNIVAIR (that owned the TCDS at one time) notes that but doesn't list a gear P/N (see below) but does list Cleveland wheels and brake components for a straight axle. Probably 1.5" axle parts. Taylorcraft may have also used it on later F-19's but the TCDS holder has moved to Mexico and prints are reportedly scattered among former employees and TCDS holders.

If you have 1.5" gear it may be a Taylorcraft part (now see the catalog bottom below) or from another source as mentioned earlier. UNIVAIR may be able to supply further data.

UNIVAIR. See pp. 17-25: https://www.univair.com/content/partcatalog/TPM-flipbook/mobile/index.html

Edit: More learning about landing gear. The 1985 Taylorcraft Parts Manual (https://www.taylorcraft.org/docs/Taylorcraft_Parts_Manual_1985.pdf) says tapered axle gear no longer available and is replaced with straight axle gear P/N 2582-3 on Page 8. So there's the source of the 1.5" gear plus others built locally.

Gary

Last edited:
Mine is a F21 and has straight 1.5” axles. Unfortunately the thread is 1.5”-18 which is of course a freak that I have had to custom made the nuts for. Oh yes. TrickAir skis.

Jim

Thanks Jim for the info on your F-21. Taylorcraft likely transitioned to 1.5" straight when the F-21 was developed. The Feris owners ran out of O-200 Continental engine availability so had to add the Lyc O-235 and hydraulic disc brakes. They needed gear to fit the Cleveland wheels. It's documented in Chet Peek's book and TCDS 1A9 (https://www.taylorcraft.org/docs/1a9.pdf).

Hope Joe gets the skis on and goes have some fun.

Gary

Thanks for all the info. Didn't get to the pictures today as I was busy putting new plexiglass in the doors.

Skis won't be on for a while, zero snow and must rebuild one ski first. Pulled a wheel and found a broken ear on on of the brake shoes. So now the search is on for a brake shoe for a Shinn brake, yeah I said Shinn.

My wife is wanting to learn to fly in this plane. If she decides to accept the flying bug, we will then decide about the upgrade route such as Bushwheels and Cleveland brakes.

No floats. A few years ago there was a Tcraft operating out of Wolf Lake on floats. I don't know how loaded he was but it was impressive to watch. Noticed a for sale sign in the window and had to take a look. Very beautiful plane with floats, wheels and skis asking $22,000. If I wasn't too tall for the plane I would have begged, borrowed and stole to get it. Performance to dollars I still believe nothing could have beat it.

If kept light as possible with sufficient power (85 or more) and a long prop their big wing works wonders. An advantage of a light low power side by side (like Taylorcraft, Piper J-4, Aeronca Chief) over tandem aircraft is the CG tends to not move aft as much with an increasing load or passenger. Fuel forward of the datum or in the wing can be used for balance. EDO 1320 or 1400 floats work well but there's others like Baumann or Aqua. Something to look for if they come for sale.

I have Aero 2000's and like them for their weight versus size. I haven't flown my Taylorcraft as much as I would have liked the past few years but they are a dependable airplane on skis and floats (I've owned two now on all gear). I'd not fly one without VG's. They do work and tame the Taylorcraft stall while improving aileron control.

Gary

My Tcraft F21 is on TrickAir skis and then Baumann 1500A floats. It is a great performer and on floats will pick up quite a bit of weight. Off the water in 10-12 secs. 95 mph on floats and 110 on wheel skis. Best bang for the buck.

Jim

Jim does your F-21 have the nose fuel or just wing tanks? I've wondered about which is better for W&B. Also what prop have you settled on for performance? That setup with the O-235 would be great. Very rare plane and too bad they didn't keep production going but the Ferris' eventually ran out of luck.

Gary

My F21 has 12 gals in the nose and 6 gal wing tanks. 24 total at 6.5 gph. I use a 72/50 for wheels/skis an 76/42 for floats. The motor is a stock 0-235 L2C with new ported and flow matched cylinders. Could be faster and have more leg room but I can live with it.

Jim

Thanks Jim that's a nice Taylorcraft. What's the EW conventional and floats? What model is the float prop? Three hours plus some change is plenty for most civilized country. That last 3 in the nose is not for unusual nose up attitudes with power.

Gary

Empty weight approx. 990 on wheels, approx. 1230 on floats. 24 gals is fine for around here on wheels/skis. When I go to the far north on floats, I carry an additional 12 gals. in jugs in the float lockers. Never had a problem.

Jim

Back