Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PA-11 Wing Refurbishment

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    I hope not to sound super negative or nasty, so this is only my opinion nothing more and could be way off. I started flying in 1966 and flew for a living for many years, the one danger Iíve seen resurface is trying to cut corners/ shortcuts. It seems to me you donít want to open up the wing because itís new ground for you and looks like a lot of work. I would recommend open it up or find a fabric guy and have him do the job. There is way to many issues to be half-assed. this is the point where you learn about building airplanes and wings to be exact, the right way or get out of the work all together. Google airplane wing failures if you need to be convinced. We will help you thru this the right way but donít look for short cuts from us here , I donít think anybody wants to see you hurt and leave aviation in frustration. Good luck, itís doable
    I bought a j3 project for my dad. When I looked at it the right wing was full of mice. Told him it needed to be recovered. Looked the left wing over through all the inspection covers and it looked good. He didnít want me to recover it as he thought it was a lot of work. When he walked out I cut the fabric off. The mice only got ahead of the spar and most of the ribs and leading edges were gone they were corroded so bad. He was happy I cut the fabric off and kept saying wow I canít believe it was that bad. How did you know. The cub was restored 20 years ago and never flown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks Hambone thanked for this post
    Likes mam90, RVBottomly, Hardtailjohn, Hambone liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Great advice from all!

After inspecting both wings thoroughly with a camera through the inspection ports and externally, I think I found the problem - a damaged rib. I had a firm landing in gusty crosswinds on the left main, and this rib is just above the left strut attach fitting.

https://youtu.be/rej2-EuoeBY
    Last edited by Hambone; 05-19-2020 at 11:07 PM.
    Likes RVBottomly liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    That's the rib. Why is that cross wire loose?
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be cutting fabric....especially when you say there was damage from a "firm landing in a gusty crosswind". Start at the back and work forward. There's a lot that has gone on in there, and I'd want to be able to see it all at once.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to everyone for their time, experience, and comments. I'm turning it over to the professionals now for repair!
    Likes skywagon8a, supercrow liked this post