• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

McCauley Brakes

Tom3holer

Cape Cod
IMG_1937.jpg

I was VERY lucky yesterday while taxing from the hanger to my tiedown area, in the 185, on our grass strip.
The tires were changed about a year ago and the wheels were inspected and looked good st that time.
Just a heads up; new Airframes Alaska conversion kit on its way.

Attachments

• IMG_1937.jpg
    IMG_1937.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
I used to own a 1976 C-150 that had spent it's life as a trainer. They have these wheels. Heck it was only 6 Yo when I got it and had logged time in it previously. During my first year owning this plane, touching down while getting some of my last dual on my journey to my PP, on roll out the plane started shuddering, got real bad as I slowed down and started pulling to the right. I recall looking in the rearview mirror to see if the tail was still back there since all the sound was amplified from the tailcone. I did all I could to stay on the runway and was down to a crawl when I got on the grass, lined right up to get a runway light.
Down to a few MPH and just pulling the mixture, the last swing of the prop sent the RL reflector flying like a Frisbee. Well a Frisbee with a big dent in it.
That plane is living a happy life now with Cleveland's on it.

It appears to me these wheels with magnesium centers have been over torqued too many times in their lives. Some of the MC wheels are through bolted and are just fine.

Last edited:
We both were very lucky. Mine were of the later version but were not through bolted.
The outer rim was some 20' away to the side of the plane after it blew.

Wow that thing must have blown out with a bang.
I would not mind running those wheels not but I will drill through the centers rather than relying that no one ever over tightens the bolts.
Gotta think these are a timebomb with age at this point.
My ride was interesting enough with a light tricycle where I could in no way keep it straight on tarmac, had you been landing it would have been out of your hands when it blew.

When it blew it sounded just like a gun going off and most definitely if I were landing it would have been a VERY expensive landing.

Curious if you're getting 3 bolt or 6 bolt wheels..

3 hole for small tires like 8:50's

6 bolt is better if running 10" adaptors like gar-aero or such to help prevent fretting at wheel half seam. and to help keep from ripping brake disks off...

Thanks Pete but I needed something fast and they arrived today. I wouldn't put McCauleys on again in any event.
I got the 6 bolt because the price was almost the same but there is no hole for hubcaps. The Cleveland do have holes but are $1000 more for the same set. The are listed in A/S 2018-2019 as the same price but online they had gone up in price. I have the 10" Alaska Airframes tailwheel and have been pleased with it.

The ABI kits are a great value over the Cleveland kits--
AA list prices are $1K less for the 6 bolt kit, $700 less for the 3 bolt.
Too bad about the lack of hubcap screw holes on the 6 bolt version though.

I note that Airframes Alaska only carries magnesium wheel Cleveland kits, no aluminum wheel kits.
Is that so they don't ding sales of their own aluminum wheel kits?
Or does Cleveland not make aluminum wheel kits?

Those McCauley wheels were notorious for cracking. Seems like everytime we changed a tire on one of those wheels, we'd find cracks. Glad you had no damage to airplane.

I note that Airframes Alaska only carries magnesium wheel Cleveland kits, no aluminum wheel kits.
Is that so they don't ding sales of their own aluminum wheel kits?
Or does Cleveland not make aluminum wheel kits?
It was my understanding that most of the wheels are a magnesium/aluminum alloy. The pure aluminum ones were special order primarily for seaplane use.

Curious what are the advantages of the magnesium wheels ?
Airframes Alaska's website makes it sound like aluminum is better--
of course, they sell aluminum wheels, not magnesium. :wink:

Magnesium is lighter than aluminum, but is more susceptible to corroding. Which is why pure aluminum is preferred for amphib floats. I can't answer to what the weight difference may be.

So far, a flat or broken wheel on a Cub or Citabria has not been a big deal on landing. Not sure why it would be worse on a 150. Have not yet had a flat on landing in a 180 or other big taildragger. The Cub is susceptible to sheared valve stems when the pressure gets low and student training is underway.

And even the aluminum Clevelands can break. Good thing we have spares. Spell check just tried to make Cleveland possessive - maybe they own us?

The big problem on a disc brake Cub is getting it off the runway. Now they require a 50 foot clearance before re-opening the runway - that’s a lot of huffing and puffing for an old guy.

For the people that worry about weight a Six bolt magnesium 11/4 wheel/rotor/brake is 2 1/2 lighter per side than a 11/2 3 bolt wheel/rotor/brake. Trying to get retractable skis on gear upgraded to 11/2 axles can be a pain.
DENNY

Back