• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Q: Any recommendation(s) for 65.93 online renewal courses

8GCBC

Oahu
Q: Any recommendation(s) for 65.93 online renewal courses? Would like something different than Gleim.

It’s free here....

1. Go to faasafety dot gov
2. Hover mouse over “Maintenance Hangar” and click on “IA Renewal Course List”
3. Click on “IA renewal Course List” again
4. Click on “Acceptable IA Refresher Courses 10-24-2019”
5. Click on “2019-10-24 Master IA Refresher Course Database”

It’s free here....

1. Go to faasafety dot gov
2. Hover mouse over “Maintenance Hangar” and click on “IA Renewal Course List”
3. Click on “IA renewal Course List” again
4. Click on “Acceptable IA Refresher Courses 10-24-2019”
5. Click on “2019-10-24 Master IA Refresher Course Database”

Thank you for the reply. I’m aware of the FAA list of 65.93 approved courses:

https://www.faasafety.gov/files/gslac/library/documents/2019/Oct/229561/2019-10-24%20Master%20IA%20Refresher%20Course%20Database.pdf

However, would be interested in opinions or recommendations for online participation.

I talked with Bob Cernuda this morning in Lake Worth, Florida and decided to try his approved courses online.

http://www.daclearn.com/daclearn/users/classes/

Robert R. Cernuda
P O Box 540968
Lake Worth, FL 33454-0968
tel: 561.642.3271
fax: 561.642.5045
cel: 954.242.3672
r.cernuda@daclearn.com

Aloha and Mahalo!

I have been careful to pick courses that can be completed easily. The FAA has forced almost all on-line courses to require something like 16 hours every two years. For me, AceCFI has been great for the instructor renewal, and Gleim for the IA.

If you want a good education, try a different one every year. If you want to "get it done" remember these things now have a four minute timer. Change the page every 3 1/2 minutes. If you don't, it will assume you are snoozing and kick you off without time credit. The quizzes do change, but take good notes and you will find that it gets easier and quicker every year. I can usually do a 45 minute module in 11 minutes, not counting the page turning.

I would love to go to the free seminars, but hate getting up that early, and find I no longer enjoy eight straight classroom hours. I do like to meet all the ASIs in one place semi-socially.

I have been careful to pick courses that can be completed easily. The FAA has forced almost all on-line courses to require something like 16 hours every two years. For me, AceCFI has been great for the instructor renewal, and Gleim for the IA.

Unfortunately, there are many pilots and mechanics that cut corners. Gleim seems to “cut and paste” a majority of their so called “proprietary” material. I don’t necessarily have an issue with Gleim, would like an alternative and shop around.

If you want a good education, try a different one every year. If you want to "get it done" remember these things now have a four minute timer. Change the page every 3 1/2 minutes. If you don't, it will assume you are snoozing and kick you off without time credit. The quizzes do change, but take good notes and you will find that it gets easier and quicker every year. I can usually do a 45 minute module in 11 minutes, not counting the page turning.

Good point about trying different courses. The RHC is very good for CFI and IA renewals.

I would love to go to the free seminars, but hate getting up that early, and find I no longer enjoy eight straight classroom hours. I do like to meet all the ASIs in one place semi-socially.

Honolulu FSDO advised that the year 2020 (16) hour “Aviation Mega Conference” is not scheduled anymore and to find other activities online. I used the previous years for Part 65.93. To be blunt, a few of the Honolulu conference presenters, from the mainland, appeared deranged and that is maybe why the FSDO gave it rest.

Thank you Bob for the input!

Last one here for me was a scheduled 3½Hr drive which we got heavy snow and getting down to Boston tuned into 5+ Hrs. I turned and went back home when the traffic had stopped and I still had a long distance to go still and it was time to be there.
My recent FAAST Rep training turned out similar with the long drive fouling things up.
It's not easy anymore.

Traffic in the larger cities will get worse. Hard to believe, but doubling the population every forty years is exponential growth, and can only result in catastrophe. When I moved to San Diego there were no traffic jams. LA had some at rush hour. Now it is rare to not be jammed up.

Makes me glad my productive time on this planet will be long gone 40Yrs from now. I did like where we were at 40Yrs ago though. Those were good times.

Best way to do it is to actually do 4 inspections each year. Don’t have to worry about the course then! I do somewhere between 30 and 50 inspections a year and still do one or more of the renewal courses (because I teach them).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem with that is liability insurance. I do my own Cubs and the Decathlon, so if I am careful I will have four a year - but doing someone else's airplane gives me the willies.
If you do 30 a year, insurance is cheap, but for four a year it is a grand each. It is not clear to me that my insurance would cover me if I injured somebody with my own airplane and it could be traced to negligent maintenance. A good attorney said it would, but who really knows?

The problem with that is liability insurance. I do my own Cubs and the Decathlon, so if I am careful I will have four a year - but doing someone else's airplane gives me the willies.
If you do 30 a year, insurance is cheap, but for four a year it is a grand each. It is not clear to me that my insurance would cover me if I injured somebody with my own airplane and it could be traced to negligent maintenance. A good attorney said it would, but who really knows?

I’m in full agreement...

When logging Part 65.77 A&P activities, I pretty much, concluded, I didn’t want my name on logbooks for aircraft/appliances I didn’t personally operate (or well known to myself). After completing my IA, I pretty much made a deal with Mary Lou that I wouldn’t sign or work on aircraft we didn’t personally own.

At the present I’m learning light helicopter maintenance which is extremely satisfying (hoping and praying I’m smart enough). Jerry Trimble, in Mcminnville, Oregon is kind enough to send some mechanics over to my hangar and pretty much watch over me perform a 100h maintenance/inspection. At some point my goal is to be proficient enough to take on more and more R44 chores. RHC has the most gifted support staff too... They literally treat me as if I was their only customer.

The R44 is my happy place and have absolutely no desire for any other aircraft. Except maybe building a Carbon Carbon with amphibious floats.

I don’t necessarily agree that more work is better work. But, subscribe to controlling my own maintenance as much as possible. Opinion.

Last edited:

Even doing 30-50 a year I still couldn't afford insurance. DO things right, and, in theory, keep yourself out of trouble. Between my A&P, IA, DAR, DER and CFI there is no way I could find protection that would justify the cost. Been doing this stuff for 50 years now and haven't been bit yet.

Best insurance is not to have insurance, and not have enough assets that someone could come after. God knows, working in aviation there isn't a lot of assets for them to come after! Any attorney is going to look to see what assets could be had and figure if it's worth it for him to take a case on a contingency fee basis. If there is nothing there, not a lot of chance they come after you.

I’m very good with peoples’s success stories and frankly am envious. But, everybody has a different tale to tell about the learning curve of aviation. Here’s mine...

I learned that for example owning an Aztec, which is a great aircraft, required an enormous amount of man hours to maintain properly. Also, parts like hydraulic power packs were getting hard to overhaul and the end was near. People were switching to Caravans and leaving Aztecs on ramp for the scrapyard or ferrying back to the mainland to part out. I realized back then that it was easy to get caught up in legacy Pipers and Cessnas. Cessna openly told me they would love to buy back all the legacy aircraft and chop them up, Jets are the deal. I felt it was time to change brands get an A&P and start with something different like a beautiful Carbon Cub, Scout or Maule. I chose the Scout for the 70 gallons, CS propeller, and roomy cabin. Parts are incredibly inexpensive from ACA, no more after market shopping late at night reading Trade-a-Plane! My interest in aircraft maintenance is to enjoy me flying (super selfish). The only birds I’m interested in at present are Cubcrafters, ACA, and RHC. These companies are a joy to work with! Wip is fantastic too.

Last edited:
I have a Super Decathlon. I am not at all convinced that parts are inexpensive. It is a wonderful aircraft.
Fortunately, very few things break. It seems to eat fuel pumps - what used to be a $20 overhaul is now not possible - somebody else has to install those simple diaphragms.

And I fear my electric fuel pump is dying. I shudder when I check those prices - more than I paid for my J3.

Back