• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Anyone have autopilot in their cub?

Here is the study on it. Driver vigilance is the issue, but it is a small dataset (90). However, I would say autopilot also requires us to keep vigilant. It's real easy to play with your phone with the AP on. Laura and I have a rule that at least one person is always looking outside.

sj

I love CC and use it all the time. My current ride has sensors which detect other cars in front of me so that it modulates the speed to that of the preceding vehicle. It even puts on the brakes and stops to avoid collisions. Impressive!

In a friend's brand new top of the line Tesla a couple months ago, the AWD version, he domoed the lane holding feature to me on a 4 lane city street, very impressive, but the best was yet to come. Doing nothing but hitting his right turn signal, the car checked for traffic (I assume), determined a lane change was safe, and did it, all by itself! I was totally unaware they could do that, it was like science fiction, ultra smooth and precise also. This raises the legal/moral question: does the drunk driver now drive perfect and get away with it? Yes, if he has a Tesla is the apparent answer.

Steve, like your situation, my wife rarely if ever uses it, as she says she doesn’t feel in control. But she is also of the variety that doesn’t exhibit much mechanical aptitude either.
Regarding more accidents due to using it, I think they are pointing the finger at the wrong monkey. You still need to pay attention. Ironically, in my opinion, I’d venture to say that those that don’t use it are likely the ones it was made more, since they can’t hold a steady speed to being with. Those comfortable driving that enjoy the skill set are much more likely to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

If I use CC tomorrow morning my truck will spin out of control on the first hill, which is between Eklutna and Mirror Lake. Of course I may have already gotten a ticket for speeding on the downhill sections before that, but not many Troopers patrol that early. I had a rental Eco Boost Ford Expedition in Hawaii. Speed traps over the saddle road are a given so CC is supposed to be a tool. That POS couldn't hold speed on downhills. Not in any of the computerized transmission modes. CC ain't the end-all in my world.

If I use CC tomorrow morning my truck will spin out of control on the first hill, which is between Eklutna and Mirror Lake. Of course I may have already gotten a ticket for speeding on the downhill sections before that, but not many Troopers patrol that early. I had a rental Eco Boost Ford Expedition in Hawaii. Speed traps over the saddle road are a given so CC is supposed to be a tool. That POS couldn't hold speed on downhills. Not in any of the computerized transmission modes. CC ain't the end-all in my world.

Well, that's interesting. I never had a vehicle with cruise control, or an automatic transmission for that matter, until I got a barebones 2013 Ford F150. I use it on highway trips and it downshifts to slow down when I cross various passes. Keeps speed within 2 mph.

I wouldn't use it on icy roads, though, or winding uphills snow or not.

That's the transmission not the cruise. Most auto transmissions have a highway 'gear' set up like some of the old overdrives; low engine rpm at normal highway speeds and no holdback when going downhill. If you have a 'D' in a white circle, that's overdrive. A 'D' next to it without the white circle is just 'third gear'. Some transmissions automatically go to overdrive unless you press a button to inhibit that.

Ok. Way off original topic.

Web

I plan to put one in the cub I’m building now. It will be going back and forth between WA and AK every summer.......hopefully. AP should provide a little relief on those trips.

Not many chimed in about Dynon. Anybody out there have experience with their autopilot. I plan to put Dynon glass in and use their servos. Garmin makes good glass stuff but I’ve got a burr under my saddle about Garmin and don’t want to give them my business. I haven’t purchased any avionics yet but will probably do so before April. So, if anybody can provide a compelling argument against Dynon and for another manufacturer your input would be appreciated. Also, any photos of servo installation would be groovy.

Thanks,

Mr. Ed

here are a few pics from the Legend install
Pitch 1.JPGRoll 2.JPGRoll 3.JPGPitch 2.JPG

Attachments

• Pitch 1.JPG
    Pitch 1.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 366
  • Roll 2.JPG
    Roll 2.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 290
  • Roll 3.JPG
    Roll 3.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 261
  • Pitch 2.JPG
    Pitch 2.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 304
Dynon Autopilot

I plan to put one in the cub I’m building now. It will be going back and forth between WA and AK every summer.......hopefully. AP should provide a little relief on those trips.

Not many chimed in about Dynon. Anybody out there have experience with their autopilot. I plan to put Dynon glass in and use their servos. Garmin makes good glass stuff but I’ve got a burr under my saddle about Garmin and don’t want to give them my business. I haven’t purchased any avionics yet but will probably do so before April. So, if anybody can provide a compelling argument against Dynon and for another manufacturer your input would be appreciated. Also, any photos of servo installation would be groovy.

Thanks,

Mr. Ed

I used the D10A as my EFIS and two 52's servos. 1500 hours later still going strong. I have photos of the install if anyone needs them. Similar to those already posted. Lou's photos helped me back in the day, 2010. I never did install an autopilot consul and once I got used to pushing buttons on the D10A I do it without thinking. Makes the 8 hour days from Florida to Idaho a breeze. Be sure to couple it with a GPS. I wouldn't fly one with out it.

Installing the Garmin G3X with Autopilot in my Javron, Is there a source for purchasing the pitch servo bridle cable assembly and cable clamps? I have the capstan kit that came with the servo, just can't seem to find where to get the bridle cable and clamps.
Thanks

Installing the Garmin G3X with Autopilot in my Javron, Is there a source for purchasing the pitch servo bridle cable assembly and cable clamps? I have the capstan kit that came with the servo, just can't seem to find where to get the bridle cable and clamps.
Thanks

Garmin. Part 6 for clamps

They probably have cable also, anyone with a Cessna style Seaver and proper size does can make cables for you.(we have a couple shops here on field with the equipment, maybe right size dies too) Spruce sells the parts

IMG_6453.JPG

Simpler to just use push rods like we did on the wildcat cub.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_6453.JPG
    IMG_6453.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
I have a Dynon D180 driving 2 52's. The Dynon servos have software adjustable breakaway clutches, but they don't work when powered off. You always feel the cogging of the stepper motors. This worried me but I don't notice it in the air.

...... I also put a certified TruTrak in my C-180 recently. .....

I know this is a 2-1/2 year old post, but can you tell me more about this?

A friend of mine bought an (experimental?) TruTrak autopilot several years ago that he was hoping to eventually put into his pacer.
Never did it.
It's a single-axis model, with (IMHO) a very slick servo installation--
it mounts on the control column and has a sprocket which engages the chains which connect to the aileron cables.
I'd like to have something similar in my C180.

I know this is a 2-1/2 year old post, but can you tell me more about this?

A friend of mine bought an (experimental?) TruTrak autopilot several years ago that he was hoping to eventually put into his pacer.
Never did it.
It's a single-axis model, with (IMHO) a very slick servo installation--
it mounts on the control column and has a sprocket which engages the chains which connect to the aileron cables.
I'd like to have something similar in my C180.

Hotrod
Unless you have an experimental 180 (doubtful) you can’t use your friends old TruTrak. Best bang for the buck (4k) is the AeroCruze 100. Formerly TruTrak Vizion. Love mine. While not as feature rich as the Garmin GFC 500 (3+ times the price) it gets the job done.
PM me if you need more.
Lou

I think the aerocruze 100 is currently just shy of 6k. How does it compare to the GFC 500 in terms of weight of the installation, complexity/cost of the servos, and the smoothness of functionality. I'm interested in both Cessna 180 (my current ship) as well as a future build of an experimental pa-18.

https://sarasotaavionics.com/aerocruze-100-pma-vizion-flat

Hotrod
Unless you have an experimental 180 (doubtful) you can’t use your friends old TruTrak. Best bang for the buck (4k) is the AeroCruze 100. Formerly TruTrak Vizion. Love mine. While not as feature rich as the Garmin GFC 500 (3+ times the price) it gets the job done.
PM me if you need more.
Lou

My bad. Meant to say 5k. Looks like prices have gone up. GFC 500 is 8-10k plus at least a G5 to drive it. Figure 16-20k installed. It’s the best AP on the market imho.
will you be at JC?
Lou

I do. Experimental Dynon D10A much like Lou's
send me a pm with your email but here are some for the world to see.

Attachments

• Super Cub Dynon Autopilot installaion  (12).JPG
    Super Cub Dynon Autopilot installaion (12).JPG
    212.8 KB · Views: 139
  • Super Cub Dynon 52 Roll Servo.JPG
    Super Cub Dynon 52 Roll Servo.JPG
    247.8 KB · Views: 136
  • Super Cub Dynon Autopilot  Pitch Roll 52lb under baggage.JPG
    Super Cub Dynon Autopilot Pitch Roll 52lb under baggage.JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 131
  • Super Cub Dynon Autopilot pitch servo , rudder trim servo.JPG
    Super Cub Dynon Autopilot pitch servo , rudder trim servo.JPG
    193 KB · Views: 206
  • Super Cub Dynon Autopilot Pitch Servo.JPG
    Super Cub Dynon Autopilot Pitch Servo.JPG
    172.7 KB · Views: 125
  • Super Cub Dynon Autopilot Roll 52LB Seat view.JPG
    Super Cub Dynon Autopilot Roll 52LB Seat view.JPG
    205.3 KB · Views: 125
  • Super Cub Dynon Autopilot Roll Under seat view.JPG
    Super Cub Dynon Autopilot Roll Under seat view.JPG
    185.2 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
If you have the exp G3X, adding 2 GSA28 servos is $1600.00 and the G3X runs it with no other required equipment. Kind of a no brainer to add it.

My servos use push rods and drive the stick. I wasn’t sure I’d like one between my feet but I don’t even know it’s there.

Attachments

• CE990620-4B9A-4807-962E-5BACAC614EA5.jpg
    CE990620-4B9A-4807-962E-5BACAC614EA5.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
I won't be at JC, but I'll be at the breaks. Hope to see you there, and hope you are well.

GFC 500 starts at $7k. The other options, such as pitch trim and yaw damper may not interest everyone and the required G5 or PFD is something most of us will want or already have planned so I'm trying to separate out the apples to apples comparison to add the auto-pilot on top of a panel upgrade which will already include either dual G5's, dual Gi275s, or a G3x/G500.

The aerocruze is standalone. If the G500 is 12-16k to install (subtracting cost of G5)? Is the labor to install a GFC500 really that much more than the labor to install an aerocruze 100?

On paper it looks like 6k for the B/K and 7k for the GC500 right now (5/26/2022). Given 1k difference I don't see the benefit of the aerocruze especially if you are already putting a bunch of other garmin stuff in. Trying to understand where the estimate of 2-3X the cost to install Garmin comes from.

My bad. Meant to say 5k. Looks like prices have gone up. GFC 500 is 8-10k plus at least a G5 to drive it. Figure 16-20k installed. It’s the best AP on the market imho.
will you be at JC?
Lou

I’m biased as I work for a Garmin dealer. But we do a lot of GFC500 installs, and S-TEC as well. The engineering from Garmin is far superior for installs, and as a pilot I will say as Lou mentioned, the digital autopilot is pretty amazing after flying something else.
I didn’t know how valuable it was in a cub until I started flying ones that had it, and I discovered the error of my mindset.

A 180 in the shop right now for a 500 3-axis install -
IMG_0130.JPG
IMG_0131.JPG

Transmitted from my FlightPhone on fingers… [emoji849]

Attachments

• IMG_0130.JPG
    IMG_0130.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0131.JPG
    IMG_0131.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 107
My buddy who works in a local avionics shop said they will not install the former TruTrak autopilots. He said they had issues with every one of them since Bendix King bought them.

I had both S-TEC and then Trutrak in my 185 for pitch control.
The S-TEC with it's pressure sensing and accelerometer pitch control was a big :down. A worthless piece of ballast.
The TruTrak was a big :up. Worked flawlessly. Very smooth.

I have no flight time behind an S-TEC but from a technicians point of view they suck pond water, both during the install and troubleshooting after the fact. We just installed one in a Cheyenne since Garmin doesn’t have one for it, and while they said it flew fine the install required calls to customer support to ask which bolts to leave out of their bracket over a lightening hole [emoji851] and which cable to trim to use. (Instructions say “attach to trim cable”…. Well, there is 4….)

Technical drawing 1 back from engineering showing precise fastener layout. Yes we are putting this in the service manual. 🤣
Image1653673099.895616.jpg

4 trim cables. After a day of their instructions back in engineering review it was determined to use “the green one”.
Image1653673172.309665.jpg

Attachments

• Image1653673099.895616.jpg
    Image1653673099.895616.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 87
  • Image1653673172.309665.jpg
    Image1653673172.309665.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 96
Stewart,

I like your install on your 12. Hadn't thought of that angle which I think could work for the 18 as well. Surprised you haven't fabricated an escutcheon of some sort to protect and conceal the install. Seems you know your way around carbon fiber.

A number of exp builders have added the roll servo under the front seat like Stewart did. Another option is to put it in the wing, depending on wing construction and opening sizes.

Metal wings are easier of course. Here’s a work in progress for a direct linkage but bridle cables work very well too.
IMG_0125.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0125.JPG
    IMG_0125.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 88
A number of exp builders have added the roll servo under the front seat like Stewart did. Another option is to put it in the wing, depending on wing construction and opening sizes.

Metal wings are easier of course. Here’s a work in progress for a direct linkage but bridle cables work very well too.
View attachment 61257

Be certain to have an access panel to be able to remove that servo at some time in the future. You never know when that time will come.

What autopilot are you using?

Big Access panels. GFC500

Although in the 180 we have to drill out the inspection cover backing ring in the wing to fit the bracket through. Not bad though, just squeeze it back in after.
IMG_0105.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0105.JPG
    IMG_0105.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 87
Back