• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA18 Struts on a J3

Field approval. I did PA11 struts on two, but other than a 6 lb weight gain, not sure I accomplished anything. PA18 struts would be way overkill, and just add another four lbs. Use the 11s if you like the sleek look.

Thanks Bob

Reason I ask is I’m being asked to give instruction in a J3 that has PA 18 struts on it and wanted to know what to look for, if anything, in the logs to document the installation. I agree, it’s overkill. Don’t know why it was done.

Rich

It would have to be on a 337. If field approved, look in block 3 for an FAA stamp. I don't think there is an STC.

If it were me, I would just make sure somebody annualed it, and pretend I didn't know the difference. But a field approval ought to be trivial - it is sort of a major airframe alteration (maybe) but the only effect on flight is the ten lb difference.

It would have to be on a 337. If field approved, look in block 3 for an FAA stamp. I don't think there is an STC.

If it were me, I would just make sure somebody annualed it, and pretend I didn't know the difference.
Amazing how well that works with minor alts...

The guys on J3 Cub forum have a letter from an ASI stating something like if you submit a request and they do not stamp block 3, it is because it is a minor alteration. It was specific to an engine swap, but the logic would apply . . .

I heard they do not grant either field approvals or STCs for minor alterations, but did not know it was automatic, in the sense that ignoring the request means it is minor.

Back