• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Thank God for Tubes

Some real geniuses there!!! I've set the bead on truck tires that way since I was in high school and never anything like that.... it's usually hard to find any good starting fluid anymore in fact!
John

I worked changing tires back in the 70s before all season tires, when everyone needed tires changed to snows the day after the first snow. Starting fluid was STOP. Changed hundreds of tires in a couple days. All you need is the smallest " spritz" of fluid to seat the bead. One can lasted all day. Starting fluid today is almost non-flammable

Glenn

Last edited:
I worked changing tires back in the 70s before all season tires, when everyone needed tires changed to snows the day after the first snow. Starting fluid was STOP. Changed hundreds of tires in a couple days. All you need is the smallest " spritz" of fluid to seat the bead. One can lasted all day. Starting fluid today is almost non-flammable

Glenn

Spent some time trying to get tires to seat on a bead of a 60’s Chevrolet. Took awhile to get the starter fluid to work. Finally took an old rusty can to do the job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of us had the rim on the tire machine stil when we gave it the blast. And yes we did no spray a quarter can into and around the tire.
It does look as it the one who took flight might not be reproducing looking at there the wheel went.

It would be interesting to see, what if he stood on that rim with both feet. He got quite the ride with one leg planted, he might have gotten pretty good altitude if launched by both legs.
Might not walk to well at all for some time though. Heck, he might be a foot shorter too.... Not sure if that warrants a smiley.

I need to start by setting up the position of my house and my garage. Garage is on the east side of the road and our house is on the west directly opposite. Garage has 2 12x12' overhead doors facing the house. If I'm out in the garage welding after dark I have to close the door because it drives my wife nuts with the on and off ark light lighting up the inside of the house.
30 years ago my neighbor Jim stops to use my 80 old Coats hand powered tire changer, he has a 10" wide by 15" white steel wagon wheel like everyone had on their pickup back then. The tire he wanted to put on was for a 6 or 7" rim. So we got the tire on the rim but before trying to inflate it my wife yells out that supper is ready. He says " go eat, I can handle this" so as I'm leaving I point to the shelf and tell him that the ether and wooden matches are up there if he has a problem. 5 minutes later my wife and 3 kids and myself are eating in the house when the inside of the house lights up similar to a Nevada nuke test site, and a second later a huge BOOM. I run out and Jim is standing by the tire machine with a hairdoo like the Professor had in Back to the Future. Tire blew completely off of the rim secured in the tire machine and dented my ceiling. His hearing returned a few days later. Aye, the good old days

Glenn

It is a very good thing I didn't know about this technique a couple of years ago when I was trying to get a really stiff tractor tire seated on the rim. I had all the required ingredients in the shop to damage a lot of things, so I might have tried. Now having seen the video maybe next time I'll just call Glenn's friend ;-)

Back