• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Lifting Eyes for J-3 Cub

before metal tabs we used nylon lift straps around the front spars...left them on when done and reinstalled covers

Gary

Attachments

• Eye-Eye-Nylon-Sling-2-5828-805.jpg
    Eye-Eye-Nylon-Sling-2-5828-805.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 24
9fd0574a2d0431c135344d603a2d3480.jpg

5c6622d63c08a2fe730c20df9df26a88.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CubCrafters lift ring is a round section steel rod formed into an inverted "U" with a plate welded to the inside of each end of the "U". The plates are parallel to each other and at right angles to the axis of the "U". The plates are drilled and the front spar attach bolts pass through them. Needs a longitudinal slot in wing root fairing and it leaks like a sieve in the rain. Not hard to fix but they didn't bother on mine.

CubCrafters cautions that a spreader bar must be used or the lift rings can rotate and damage the root fairings.

(All from memory and I don't have a hoist so my aircraft has never hung on them except at the factory.)

CubCrafters lift ring is a round section steel rod formed into an inverted "U" with a plate welded to the inside of each end of the "U". The plates are parallel to each other and at right angles to the axis of the "U". The plates are drilled and the front spar attach bolts pass through them. Needs a longitudinal slot in wing root fairing and it leaks like a sieve in the rain. Not hard to fix but they didn't bother on mine.

CubCrafters cautions that a spreader bar must be used or the lift rings can rotate and damage the root fairings.

(All from memory and I don't have a hoist so my aircraft has never hung on them except at the factory.)

The j3 the spars are in the middle of the fuselage.

The j3 the spars are in the middle of the fuselage.

Yes, the J-3 spars end in the middle of the fuselage, and in any case, the spreader bars aren't intended to protect the wing root fairings.....lifting without a spreader bar can fold the entire top deck up, and dramatically increase wing dihedral.

A herring boat crew in Kodiak demonstrated that quite effectively. Pretty impressive, but they had to find another spotter for the rest of their season.

Do NOT lift a Super Cub with those rings without a spreader bar.

MTV

Good information. I’ll hopefully have a combination of all of the above cranked out soon. Thank you!

Z.

I merged this thread with an older one that had some good pictures and suggestions as well. Go back to the top of the thread to see the earlier posts.

Back