• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Super Cub build part scratch part kit

I'm no where as experienced and skilled as Mike or Cub Junkief (or CharlieN either), but I ended up following the same snipper path. I have one fuselage mostly under my belt and found the most pleasure standing by it with some good quality snips fitting by eyeball. Sometimes I'd take it to the rounded off grinder or use various rat-tail files I had scattered about.

Using a mill would be my next approach, but I would have had to set things up for that, and nipping away seemed simpler to my tired brain.

I have always used a bench grinder with a rounded 1/4" wide grinding wheel. Copes tubes in every size needed on tube and fabric covered fuselages.

those pretty perfect looking joints are nice, but you do NOT want to be welding to a thinner edge/part of tube that looks prettier than a full wall thickness joint.... that's where the snips method shines, it full wall thickness where you are welding.... not sure Im conveying that well...

not that this video explains it well, but maybe someone will get the idea from it....

The strong suit in back ground is industrial piping so the fuselage is the part I was most excited about. After much thought and contemplation I’m going to let jay tack it up in his jig to insure the critical points are dead on. I will finish weld it out and add the brackets and such.

this forum has been a great help and I’ve learned a ton just having read through the recent wing build thread and was amazed at the detail in Bill rusk’s thread on his build. It has really kept me engaged with the project and I appreciate the Help and advice from the group.

One more question to ask the group. Does any one have a spreadsheet of all of the parts for a super cub. Nothing more gratifying than to check a box. Looking at building a schedule and tracking the project for major milestones. Also think this will help with not forgetting a key part that will stop a work day. And yes I tend to nerd out on items like a schedule and a tracking chart.

Back