• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Lexan to Lexan Glue or Adhesive

tempdoug

PATRON
nd
Im looking for a glue or adhesive for gluing lexan to lexan that gives a strong bond, going to glue square lexan tubing to a lexan flat sheet. anybody have any experience with this with good results on a product to use? need something that will give a minute or 2 of time to work with.

Ever tried Shoe Goo? I can’t say I’ve used it on Lexan, but I haven’t found much it won’t stick to and have a good bond.

I had a gas cap at the base of a lexan windshield, replaced the windshield 3 times. You don't need a drop of gas, just the fumes will crack it. If there's any whiff of solvent, lexan will crack.

Look no further! LEXEL. White or crystal clear, been working for me for 12 years on my lexan skylight, on a lexan to lexan lap joint. Also on my Plexi windshield /lexan juncture. An adhesive caulk, emphasis on adhesive, paintable, stays flexible, I love the stuff. Ace Hardware, big gun tubes, and smaller 5 oz. tubes.

Methylene chloride plastic welder. I'm pretty sure that's what I used on my Cessna strapless windshield that requires gluing a doubler to the top edge. Supposed to work equally well on acrylics and polycarbonates.

I have a tube of stuff at the hanger specifically made for glueing Lexan. Works well. Will get a photo of it tomorrow.

Be careful with Lexel and large gaps. It will continue to shrink over the years. Also, the white Lexel will yellow over time.

And Lexel stinks, and stays kindof “sticky” for awhile.

In my experience with about 4 tubes I have used over the years

IMG_20191130_170032.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20191130_170032.jpg
    IMG_20191130_170032.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 220

yep, what i thought, and i was just guessing, but still looking hard at the #4. steve does that 16 really hold. thats a glue where if theres a little gap it works, where the 4 is more for wicking in after the parts are set together if theres no gaps. heres a good data sheet on the 3.https://www.curbellplastics.com/Research-Solutions/Technical-Resources/Technical-Resources/Bonding-Acrylic-with-SCIGRIP-3-4-or-16 these are for welding(they call it, melting one into the other) moreso than gluing.

Last edited:
Back