Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jump start pack

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Jerry,
    I have not had a chance to touch the pack since last writing. If this works out to get a donor cell and bring mine back to life that would be cool.
    Regards, Charlie
    Super Coupe E-AB build in process

Post Thanks / Like
    You’re what this world needs more of. Class act

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bob turner View Post

Question - what kind of breaker is good enough to allow starter current, yet protect from short circuit?
    In an earlier post I referred to the device as a "circuit breaker", but EarthX informs me that it is actually a switch. When the load voltage is very low (I suppose this is interpreted by the Jump Pack as being a short circuit, or nearly so) the "switch" opens.

Without a load attached to the Jump Pack the LED in the switch will glow red but will change to green when connected to a load of more than ???? voltage (yet to be determined).

Post Thanks / Like
    CharlieN, I'll get in touch after I confirm that I have not cannibalized any important parts from it yet. Pretty sure I only disassembled and did not destroy anything in the process.
    Thanks CharlieN thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I sooo wish this wasn't an experimental battery. Batteries for the turbines are tanks! and here in the desert, flooded batteries are lucky to make it 2 years
    I always help on my annuals, but tend to have “something come up” the day they switch out the battery, which is a minimum 2 man job on a Mills Cat we do every 2 years as well. An EarthX would be a game changer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I sooo wish this wasn't an experimental battery. Batteries for the turbines are tanks! and here in the desert, flooded batteries are lucky to make it 2 years
    Quote Originally Posted by CenterHillAg View Post
    I always help on my annuals, but tend to have “something come up” the day they switch out the battery, which is a minimum 2 man job on a Mills Cat we do every 2 years as well. An EarthX would be a game changer.
    The airplanes you two are operating are "restricted" category. Without looking into it myself, don't you have some leeway in this?
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I don’t know. The Cat is CAM 8 and we have quite a bit of leeway with what we do to it, but the entire electrical system is changed with the turbine STC, so would I need to talk to the STC owner? The Mills is the firewall forward off an early King Air and has an ancient electrical system, but if the EarthX or a few of them would work I’d be interested.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is still CAM 8 regardless of the STC holder. I would look closely at the CAM 8 regs. In the past I have made battery inquiries for standard category airplanes of local FAA FSDO friends which they were unable to answer. I think you have more leeway than you think.

You may find it is as simple as providing a certain type of battery box.
    N1PA
    Likes wireweinie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CenterHillAg View Post
    Well, I don’t know. The Cat is CAM 8 and we have quite a bit of leeway with what we do to it, but the entire electrical system is changed with the turbine STC, so would I need to talk to the STC owner? The Mills is the firewall forward off an early King Air and has an ancient electrical system, but if the EarthX or a few of them would work I’d be interested.
    This is CAM 8. https://dotlibrary.specialcollection.net/Document?db=DOT-CAMS&query=(select+29+(byhits+(field+DOCUMENT+(any of+civil+air+manual+%608
    Look at 5.21 Storage Batteries It doesn't say much.

Look at FAA Order 8110.56B Restricted Category Type Certification
    https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/...r_8110_56B.pdf
    Look on page 3-3.
    "2. Civil Air Regulations, Part 8 (CAR 8. The FAA no longer uses CAR 8 and CivilAeronautics Manual 8 (CAM 8 as airworthiness standards for new type certification programs.However, for aircraft originally certificated to CAR 8, STCs and other modifications can use CAR 8 as the starting point for the certification basis, adjusted in accordancewith 14 CFR 21.101(f) and Order 8110.48, How to Establish the Certification Basis for ChangedAeronautical Products."

I would contact Earth-X with the information that you are using a turbine engine to run some farming equipment which has the following electrical requirements for starting-----------. See what they recommend for a battery. Then develop a suitable box to install it in your plane. Submit the plan to your friendly FAA person. You are altering your airplane not the engine STC holder's airplane.

As long as you use the proper precautions for the use of that particular battery, there should be no opposition from a FAA person who knows how to read the regulations. Show him if need be.
    N1PA
    Thanks CenterHillAg thanked for this post