• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

North East Winter Fun 19/20

About 4:30 I'm at a couple hundred feet flying down the south end of Indian lake in the ADK park and I notice a text one of my Cub buddies who's an airline pilot " just over Glen's Falls heading your way " I ask what freq. He texts, fingers
So from 400' my little Icom A5 is talking to my friend at 32,500 just as clear as a bell.
Awesome Buddy

Glenn
I had a similar experience leaving Greenville years ago.Had a friend flying Finair from Helsinki to JFK and talked to him on Unicom.I have to get some wheel skis for next year.We have had bare ground for most of the winter.

Awesome day, little bumpy early but got better. Great group of friends and we have 3 or 4 young guys playing along.

Awesome place, 2 OTWs and a bunch of taildraggers

Great day to be alive

Glenn

Last edited:
IMG_1033.JPG

You guys got droned. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_1033.JPG
    IMG_1033.JPG
    260.7 KB · Views: 189
Saturday we are starting at Raquette Lake at 10:30, they are doing their ice harvest which is always a fun and unique event. Then up to Harris Lake Lodge for lunch. Might be our last good weekend on the ice for the year.

Glenn

Another awesome day, last 2 months have been incredable flying weekends. Had the spousal unit with me today

Stacking crew

Back to Harris Lake Lodge for lunch

Great day to be alive, I hope winter never ends

Glenn

Last edited:
We had, are having, a near record melt off here in SE Idaho. Strong south winds and near 50 degree temps, and I got up this morning, and my runway was missing, at least my ski runway. Can't use the tires yet, I'm just grounded until it dries out or we get snow again, anything can happen this time of year. I feel emasculated, half a man, just 3 days ago I was feeling like Superman!

Nobody told me ski flying has this downside, this no man's land, at least for my turf hillside strip, that even the Datum's retracts can't handle. I can't plow my summer runway to expedite the melt off and get it ready for wheels ops, as I don't want to risk creating a runoff erosion situation. The one good thing is...the WX is total crap flying wise, so I wouldn't be flying anyway. Here's a pic from the bottom of my 400' long runway, (taken this morning, it's worse now) note that there is plenty of snow up high, one reason why I don't want to put the 29" Airstreaks back on just yet. That's another thing no one told me about ski flying:there is nothing worse then taking them off too soon, and then to be flying over lots of snow you can only look at!

Attachments

• IMG_20200307_085849694~2.jpg
    IMG_20200307_085849694~2.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 135
Tried to get out of here. Took the bushwheels off and put the skis on. We have no snow, and the yard is a swamp. Guess the bushwheels will go back on. The front lawn is dry. All 200 ft of it. Used that coming back in the other day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another incredible ski day. 50F and sunny, ice is still perfect but it's going to start fading fast. I don't want it to end.

I started at the saphouse but it was really crowded so took off and headed north to Speculator.

Stopped at Raquette to get gas and meet Todd, he left the ercoupe home so was flying his Tripacer. Then we headed back up to Harris lake.

Then back south the Oxbow lake. Passed Jake's J3 sleeping on Lake Adirondack

Great day to be alive

Glenn

Last edited:
Was just getting ready to end this thread and start the summer 2020 thread but we got 14" of heavy wet snow last night. ADk Jeff lives 35 miles north and got nothing

Glenn

We were forecast for 2 to 8, got one inch. The precipitation was coming up from the southeast and just never got here. You got the honor of keeping it.
Still has been about 15" in the past three weeks, none of it hanging around long.

We got maybe 4” and it almost gone. Were you guys by this past Saturday? Was down working on the TwinBee. The Maintenance on that never ends.

Here we had one shovel-able snow storm early in the season with only rain since. The ice went out at the end of December and hasn't come back.

Back