• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Silver Bay MN airport

i read a little about silver bay in the past. i wonder if many heavys land there? our local airport is in good shape, but if there ever come a time where the asphalt got in dire shape, and the city was giving up on it, i would fight for tearing the pavement out and seed it to grass and buy a lawn mower. but do every thing i could to keep it open. did some flying in crookston minn, where there was a choice of grass or pavement. i would prefer the grass everytime.

Unfortunately a bit far for me to come voice my opinion. I was up there last fall and was wondering what was going on with that airport. Good luck! Anyplace a person can send a possitive message?

I got the info 10 minutes before I posted. I did many landings during my 40 hour fly off three years ago. Did a low approach this fall with dad in the Cherokee. Runway looked pretty good. 850s or bigger would be fine. Some of the cracks have been allowed to grow weeds and break down the asphalt around the cracks.

My research a few years back found interesting comments in the city council minutes. The city road Mx guy recommended not sealing cracks or spending time/money on the runway. After MNDOT found the runway in too poor of shape to continue operation, they closed it pending repairs.

I believe the city tried to sell the land until the Feds asked for their matching funds back. City of 3000 can’t afford to pay the feds back thus leaving the airport in limbo.

Previous airport plans (7-8) years ago had improvements planned including a new fuel farm. I think shenanigans were at play to sell the land hence the lack of recurring maintenance.

The field was used for forest fire fighting support during the summers until last year. I would like to see it reopen since the distance from Two Harbors to Grand Marais is pretty long without a good place to set down in an emergency.

I will let you know what I hear.

Jake

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

Back