• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Bleed Cub Crafters Brakes

Hendoii

FRIEND
05-06974.jpgIMG_20180831_082124.jpg

All,
I'm tired of blowing 5606 all over the floor of my cub when I bleed the brakes and want to buy a bleeder screw for the vents on the reservoirs so I can start to use a hose and a bottle. I've looked at the STC paperwork, but can't determine what size the "Vent Screw" is. Does anybody know the size and thread type? Do any of the options from Aircraft spruce fit?

Also, for those of you that use them, do you just leave the new assembly in all the time or do you remove them after bleeding and replace the cap?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 05-06974.jpg
    05-06974.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 708
  • IMG_20180831_082124.jpg
    IMG_20180831_082124.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 759
Pretty sure it’s 1/8 pipe into top of resivor. Sky wagon 8a would know since he designed it

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I use Grove masters. They really need a bleeder screw in my opinion. I drill and tap 1/8 NPT as far forward on top as I can get. I can use a clear piece of model airplane fuel hose into a jar for filling, but best of all, after they sit for a while, I can pressurize the brake, crack the bleeder, and watch the air sputter out. Yeah, I put rags on the floor to do that.

Some Grove masters have bleeder screws already - just not the 95-1/2, which are complete new assemblies, pedal and all.

1/8" pipe. The brass adapter is only there so that the original plug can be used.

Some of the original master cylinders used a 1/8" pipe plug as a filler cap, thus the brass adapter to accommodate both types of caps.

Last edited:
The thread of the plug is 3/8 fine thread. I drilled and tapped a bolt and installed a bleeder barb to attach a hose to that I screw into the top of the master cylinder when bleeding from below.
brake1.jpg

Brake2.jpg

Attachments

• brake1.jpg
    brake1.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 618
  • Brake2.jpg
    Brake2.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 529
That is exactly what I needed to know Steve! Thanks for the details. It appears you should patent and sell that set up! I'm definitely going to build one. On another note, have you had any issues with keeping the cubcrafters brakes free of bubbles? My old cub had stock brakes and they never softened. It seems like I have to bleed these out every few months to keep them solid. I'm not seeing any visible leaks in the system anywhere and they have awesome power when bled, but they seem to soften up over time. Hope all is well in West-Texas

Thanks!

1/8" pipe. The brass adapter is only there so that the original plug can be used.

Some of the original master cylinders used a 1/8" pipe plug as a filler cap, thus the brass adapter to accommodate both types of caps.

Thanks for the insight Skywagon8a. Nice to have a first-hand account!

The brakes constantly need servicing. Just add fluid, no need to bleed. Pull the cap, fill to the top, reinstall the cap, push the pedal several times and repeat till firm. This is a closed system and temperature and pressure effect them. Steve's brakes and Dakota cub brakes are vented and eliminate this issue.

Back