Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: J3 Water Rudder Handle Location

Post Thanks / Like

J3 Water Rudder Handle Location

When on floats, what are people doing for water rudder latch mechanisms and location of installation? (J3 flown from the back seat). I've always had the cable/handle hooked on the floor to two screws for either up or down: but I want a nicer, cleaner, and perhaps more well thought out way to do this... if there is. Currently I have the aluminum handle from EDO (or FA Dodge). Thoughts?

Additionally, does anybody here have experience with Legend floats? Specially, their Amphib retract handle and their cable routing.

Thanks gang.

Sik

Post Thanks / Like
    On J-3's I always liked mine hooked on the left rear of the front seat upright. I could reach it easily from either seat. I didn't use the normal alum. handle at that location just because of size. Just screwed a short piece of copper or alum. tubing into the seat and had a ring on the cable that would slip over it. A washer under the head of the screw and a tube maybe 3/8" long?

Post Thanks / Like
    Wasn't a J-3, but on my 18 I used some simple braided nylon (very small camp type) from a steel hardware store ring through the floor to the rudder lift cables. Then bent an aluminum hook that screwed to the throttle cover for up.

Easy, when nylon showed wear I replaced it. I don't recall it not making a full summer, (200+ hours).
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    J-3 flies fine from front seat on floats in my experience, especially if equipped with aux wing tank.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll take a pic of my set-up installed by Baumann on my 1500's in a few days and post it for you. Very reliable and can be operated from front or rear. Actually, fairly simple, but I wish I could find the same handle for Javron build.
    If you get lost while flying, don't try hail a cop. Pick up the first railroad you find and hug it until you get somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    FlyLowSlow- Mine is going on Baumann 1500's as well. Bud was a smart guy: I'm curious what he came up with as I'm sure it's well sorted and functional.

Thanks,

Sik