• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Adsb in & out

The Kid

FOUNDER
Thompson Falls
I am rebuilding my cub and just wondered how many cubbers are running with ADS B IN & OUT? I don't see a downside to it except more weight and more cost VS being seen and being able to see with ADS equipped airplanes but if not too many are running ADS; then maybe not worth it?

It might depend on what part of the country you are flying. I know of very few cubs or other fabric aircraft in AK running it. Some of the Cessna guys running it and Capstone.
DENNY

I'm running ADS-B Out, in my cub out of helena. I figure its worth being seen by all the private heavy iron now a days coming into Montana, to say nothing of being handy on the very few trips I take each year into airspace where its mandatory. I'm using the Garmin GDL82 linked to my Sandia TXP. The gdl was an easy install: power, ground and 3 antenna cables one each to TPX, GPS antenna and TXP antenna. I haven't decided on the IN side of it yet, for it'll be another $600 box, not sure I need it as I'm already running Sirius WX.

I’m installing a GTX 345 all in one in and out in the Bearhawk LSA Owner flies under class C a lot so he felt he needed it. Just started the panel but it looks heavy and complicated but if you need it all it’s nice to have one box do it all. It will be paired with a 660

If you are considering ADS-B in a small panel, consider the Trig TT22.

Soap Box Moment;
Most small panels, like Cub panels, were never intended for 'square' avionics (anything with a tray). That means when one of these are installed, you'll need to make the panel stiffer/stronger and brace the tail end of the tray. And the tray location is limited due to the tray contacting the tubing forward of the panel. Transponders like the Trig are mounted like a small instrument, with four screws and no tray. To make it into an ADS-B out system, just tie a WAAS GPS signal in on a data line. Smaller, lighter, less space.

Web

I have installed the Trig TT22 transponder and the TN70 ADS-B unit in three Super Cubs with great results. Have used the GDL39 and 52 for in on Garmin 796 GPSs. The Trig units are compact, light and work well.

I guess, for me, there are four reasons why I am considering in/out. 1. Going into Canada and back. I think it might make it easier. 2. Did I read where some drones might pick up "out" and avoid you?. 3. I do landscape aerial photography and I need some shots at 15,000 agl. 4. To avoid other traffic that have "out" and have them avoid me if they have "in". Just before I stopped flying, to have my cub rebuilt, at 800' AGL I was doing aerial photography and out of nowhere a plane like a C-130 appears just a little higher than I. With in/out would we have both seen each other?" I just wonder what weight all this adds up to though?

Trig says the TT22 transponder weighs .8 lbs. I am installing the TN70 on one I built a few years ago. Th unit weighs 1.1 lbs, the antenna .7 lbs plus a few wires. I figure about 2.5 lbs. total.
TN70 insall.jpg

TN70 Weight.jpg

TN70 Antena.jpg

Attachments

• TN70 insall.jpg
    TN70 insall.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 1,491
  • TN70 Weight.jpg
    TN70 Weight.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1,443
  • TN70 Antena.jpg
    TN70 Antena.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1,369
I have installed the Trig TT22 transponder and the TN70 ADS-B unit in three Super Cubs with great results. Have used the GDL39 and 52 for in on Garmin 796 GPSs. The Trig units are compact, light and work well.

I am going through install right now with the TT22 and TN70 as well on the Super Cub... Seems to be a great little unit...

Adsb in & out

Been using Stratus In for years. Three years ago this month my Narco wasn’t going to pass a 91.413 check. So with no GPS source in the airplane Appareo ESG became my best solution. In the last 24 months worked on installing 6 of them, to include the Jet Ranger I fly, and each has been a really easy installation.

Last edited:
I put the Trig unit in my Super Cub and like it a lot, as stated much better for a small lightweight panel. This guy wanted to stay all Garmin, he writes the checks.

I think the Canada system is going to be satellite based, so if you want to interface with it make sure you have a system that can handle both.
DENNY

If you are considering ADS-B in a small panel, consider the Trig TT22.

Soap Box Moment;
Most small panels, like Cub panels, were never intended for 'square' avionics (anything with a tray). That means when one of these are installed, you'll need to make the panel stiffer/stronger and brace the tail end of the tray. And the tray location is limited due to the tray contacting the tubing forward of the panel. Transponders like the Trig are mounted like a small instrument, with four screws and no tray. To make it into an ADS-B out system, just tie a WAAS GPS signal in on a data line. Smaller, lighter, less space.

Web

I think this is one of your best posts ever Web!

I've been using a Stratux for ADS-B in for awhile now, feeding ForeFlight on my iPad mini. I also use a Garmin Aera 660. ForeFlight is my primary tool but I really like the 660 for some things. I'd like to also get the ADS-B in on the 660. The only solution I'm aware of that will feed both is a Garmin one. So I'm looking at the GDL 50 or GDL 50R. I'm leaning toward the 50R as I don't expect to need to have it portable and already have enough clutter on my glare shield (Stratux is mounted on my wing root). And I like the idea of the 50R being out of site and permanently wired-in.

Anyone have experience with the GDL 50R in a cub?

Jeff

That is what I have been using for coming up on a year. First installed the portable one then realized I should have installed the R version. That is the way to go, better than Stratux that I had and better than GDL 39 that I had for a while as well. The combination of the 660, ForeFlight and GDL 50R is pretty hard to beat. Share flight plans back a forth from the 660 to ForeFlight and back plus ADSB on both is great.

That is what I have been using for coming up on a year. First installed the portable one then realized I should have installed the R version. That is the way to go, better than Stratux that I had and better than GDL 39 that I had for a while as well. The combination of the 660, ForeFlight and GDL 50R is pretty hard to beat. Share flight plans back a forth from the 660 to ForeFlight and back plus ADSB on both is great.

Thanks, yes, Foreflight and 660 flight plan sharing works great now. My 660 is put in the wired mount so I also feed my EI FP-5L fuel computer. I like that it's a portable panel mount :)

Jeff

With an Aera 660, GTX335 with a blind encoder and a GDL50 I would be able to have OUT and then IN on my 660. With the Trig set up is IN on the 660 possible?

That will work. You'll need to connect the 660 to the display outputs on the control head,through an RS232 data line. Also will most likely need to do some programming on the 660 to make sure it talks to the Trig.

Web

The GDL is the In receiver and it bluetooths to the 660 display. For In services it shouldn't matter what Out equipment is installed.

With an Aera 660, GTX335 with a blind encoder and a GDL50 I would be able to have OUT and then IN on my 660. With the Trig set up is IN on the 660 possible?

Kid the Trig is unnecessary with the GTX335. The GDL 50 is your In. With just a GDL 50 you’ll get some In. With an Out you’ll get additional In when you’re in range of an ADSB tower. This is because the tower is able to upload TISB (traffic) data to your section of the sky as you fly along. Kind of like a searchlight.

If you don’t have Out it ignores you. The In you get is air to air. Or if you’re in the path of another plane with Out you’ll catch the searchlight on it for a little while.

The GTX 335 is a 1090 transponder that does not have an anonymous mode. I have one in the Cessna. Next time you’re coming through town stop by and I’ll show you.

I’m not sure if the 660 will Bluetooth with a GDL50. It will with a 796. That’s my setup.

I’m not sure if the 660 will Bluetooth with a GDL50. It will with a 796.

According to the Garmin compatibility chart the GDL 50 will provide ADS-B over Bluetooth or cable.

d1704450-2927-46b2-b9a1-e0c208c1532c

Previously in this post someone said to consider the Trig transponder over the GTX355. I was just wondering what others thot of the Trig over the Garmin GTX355? And would the Trig be legal in my cub? I saw an ad in the EAA mag from Trig that said it could be used in experimental etc. and wondered if it was legal for a super cub?

A Trig TT22 and TN70 make up a legal ADS-B out system. Connecting a display will give you ADS-B in. Legal in any airplane.

Web

I’m not sure if the 660 will Bluetooth with a GDL50. It will with a 796. That’s my setup.

I have a GDL 51 Garmin XM weather receiver, and it blue tooths fine to my Garmin 660. I would be surprised if the GDL 50 won't as well.

MTV

Back