• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PPonk STC sold to NorthPoint - renamed engine XP470

I remember when Steve Knopp & his wife, and a mechanic/helper (P Ponk = Knopp backwards..) was putting time on the original engine on his 182( so they could tear it down infront of FAA to get the longer TBO, maybe the STC too??) hauling fish into naknek late 80's or or right about 90 ..... they were camping out in front of our hanger in the parking lot in naknek....

I can remember when Steve was a mechanic around Harvey Field! One time I had to go to his place on Camano to do some warranty inspection on an R-1340. He had it sitting in his hangar and there was a Soko sitting in the back.... he told me he'd buy me a steak if I knew what the airplane was...I said Soko.... he kinda looked at me funny...never did get my steak! :lol: I like Steve...he's always been a good guy to me.
John

Last edited:
When I built SJs P-Ponk I had a lot of question. The STC just say install these cylinders on these engines etc. I would call I get Steve's wife and she would take a message. Steve would call me back in the evening and I spent many hours talking to him. I made pages of notes and learned a lot. Someone should put that information in a book our on their website. Things like which size ballance tube works best, how to line up all those cast Continental intake tubes for better airflow.

I would think the new owners would want to keep the P-Ponk name since it is so widely known and recognized.

….I would think the new owners would want to keep the P-Ponk name since it is so widely known and recognized.

You'd think so.
Kinda like the BAS stowable jumpseats were renamed after the line was sold.
Lakevue Aero? (I still call 'em BAS)

….there was a Soko sitting in the back.... he told me he'd buy me a steak if I knew what the airplane was...I said Soko..….

I never heard of Soko so I googled it up.
I'm guessing this was a Soko 522, sort of a T6 / BT13 looking thing?
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soko_522

I think there's one of those that's a ramp rat over at Arlington,
they finally moved it over to the derelict area on the east side of the airport.
Wouldn't surprise me if it was the same one you saw at Knopps years ago.
[/FONT]

Has anyone spoken with Norma and Steve? I’d presume this is a step towards retirement? Well earned. I hope they‘re happy. They leave a great legacy with their customer family.

Back