• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Shared freight on spar blanks

Anchorage, AK
I am going to order a wood spar blank for a J-3 from Aircraft Spruce. If anyone wants to share freight to the Seattle area let me know. On a side note is Aircraft Spruce still the best source?

Do you not have any good specialty wood supplies near you? Over here I buy my "Good" wood from Condon lumber in NY state, I select the blanks so I get the grain I want and then order the mill cut which is an S3S cut as in 3 of the 4 sides are finished to my dimension.

I am going to order a wood spar blank for a J-3 from Aircraft Spruce. If anyone wants to share freight to the Seattle area let me know. On a side note is Aircraft Spruce still the best source?
Aircraft Spruce is a good source, but it might take a while. I waited several months from first inquiry last year for two sets of spruce spars.

There is a mill in Port Angeles worth checking out. I forget the name but Marty got spars from them and tied them to the roof of his vehicle. Maybe also EdenSaw in Seattle, too. Sometimes they have a good sense of local suppliers.

Vic

Sent from my SM-J320V using SuperCub.Org mobile app

You should be able to find some at one of the wooden boat supplies over there. I got a set for a J-3 from Big Sky Stearman, in Oregon, and they were great to deal with. You might also try Lyle Sindlinger at Spar-Craft in Tacoma.
John

As mentioned above, Marty57 got good wood from a supplier on the Olympic Peninsula. Maybe check with him?

Thanks for all of the advice. I am going to go with Aircraft Spruce. Let me know if anyone else wants to get in on the order.

I have always found Wicks to have better quality wood than Spruce. But I would think being in the northwest you could find it locally before it got loaded on a boat to China.

Check with Edensaw in Port Townsend. (800) 745-3336. Ask for Mast and Spar grade sitka spruce. You will have to get your IA to sign it off as meeting aircraft grade for spars. This is the end of a piece I have 2" x6" X 24' long. free of knots, shake and pitch pockets. You do see a split along the grain line about midway. A forklift was pushing a bundle on the end and split it, turning it into an 18' piece.

20191109_152738.jpg 20191109_152903.jpg

Wayne

Attachments

• 20191109_152738.jpg
    20191109_152738.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 145
  • 20191109_152903.jpg
    20191109_152903.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Check with Edensaw in Port Townsend. (800) 745-3336. Ask for Mast and Spar grade sitka spruce. You will have to get your IA to sign it off as meeting aircraft grade for spars. This is the end of a piece I have 2" x6" X 24' long. free of knots, shake and pitch pockets. You do see a split along the grain line about midway. A forklift was pushing a bundle on the end and split it, turning it into an 18' piece.

AnVMeVvYA4MJTzhZHHeQSSuldNJGM18yVA49CoCsHkeROj-vIqq8Kef79DgynVLP_RJXM5B-WpkQmifgRxYz88Wrx1-hKK60GB8ld6V3X8A-x7Yko98Pn3uCwhBUPHmlC4LBOMnSV825wPfFwo63ICt2XA7OKp3eXhWfXATo31QLYtIbK_AmKL8vejwh0cTBVZuHQu9Qm_abR3s_yF0Sg72e0zM1nvV4dbREznH8merkcFcFkHa1mVZUaa3DdreM4G7fqQGApu6kZCXZQg_QHp3Xlm7TGhJ11w1GR7FYlbOT2Xp2_fg7gY_H0MkA14sK836HnVtyps2ZkHi5KGnL2DgVtz49JCdYYtkNGtnM9blLltSdaHFogy15fua-T9RkQI0luMs6dksWvsUV8-ujmy1N5jP7iFu9IQMiO9mVL4j4D4CVjfXjcKQcTtlIfzEdZ5IZ86l8uXjtRqnfaOv51Zd5JnYsfttnJMnhp-I7azIwRPZcuHRf2oxBt2m7UNYGyyM--R7bWs7fyRn9MyfEW-uMlsVPb0ZbJKSsKkHKIqMQZSJkm9Kiu8BdzZv1Lz9E1_GnlzZkaXphsXzC254dubz5frBquhlZ0VttLUJfMREU88xZqkYJ5m0aExzJLjmpbPuEMWqotrocs2r5kcXb42lbt6_R_Jk71FnC6hHC3JC8TMuPYZx3HA=w563-h955-no
UtTCFEJMzny7oD_ArHuIwNmmU-OFReROP-z8JsksUeHVFXlVip6-E5n8RKES128Vi6E0MBhvkR-geHg_tlHDeZHMsuZ98p_GVSTNN-1_od4VK5nB21Wsws9Jyt0FoQmFUI3wI8AkvKA9DJFN999a-tI6mCh7ATW7KbDX_9BijFZ31gVxJq_YajgG6e20KTfDzrJI2LTS19S_odFLer22JJi83o2rHu_lFb_JUxBXJaMZ7rBjtZhAHxqpSIWeZjB-u83hqXOyG_2SKJJYI8MnxKWhqROy0Uw9EaTLP89mNwYqH8k7JV6aQtdb0l7pFKaEtefFMB3vHtfPi-D_fbJJAp5zImsmV6slW3-m0VGwFThso2ciq-BZ9BRIK6NQA-sNsC_WXIsLf5abLASo8zUgD9IsDClhBmle4NWs5Vv0G27iPWCpjTDHjMolOsCRGH_o_5TQq_08GRCpzGRx5b56M6lHESpMRmrxsTrwZn-uJ939nF6j_IP7eYEpoyRq3iZ_u_EhwLzX7m46j-5iEQF2m5wi_pISNnmdZQMoJbX8qXAggZS4zYlhGkLrB24Ea9Mse-TGPJiTcLEhu7BEjwdLFx9gAl-6ricLz194ySXD-vHlNeYyZfEDQyx6MQUG5HAtTFoZyypK14bh9A3kjFssFv7gUbgbBue5epL6MxKDWrDdnJWjrn3EGQ=w563-h955-no

Wayne

Picture isn’t coming through for some reason. I am going to order from Spruce as this is a customers airplane. I’ll probably order an extra front and rear spar blank to have on hand.

Picture isn’t coming through for some reason. I am going to order from Spruce as this is a customers airplane. I’ll probably order an extra front and rear spar blank to have on hand.

That's strange. They show up on my phone app but not on the computer for me.
Vic

Thanks for all of the advice. I am going to go with Aircraft Spruce. Let me know if anyone else wants to get in on the order.
Make sure that they package them adequately. Years ago I bought two large spar blanks from Spruce. They arrived with dings in the surface. Fortunately I was able to work around the damage since the spars needed to be routed out in that damaged area. At the very least they should be covered with a layer of plywood. Mine was covered with cardboard.

Better yet find out where their supplier is located and go pick them up yourself saving a double shipping.

I saw the pictures on my puter mid day yesterday, they were gone by night time.

Dunno what happened... :???:

I had done a copy/paste from google photos. Went back and did an upload from my computer.
They should show up now

Check with Edensaw in Port Townsend. (800) 745-3336. Ask for Mast and Spar grade sitka spruce. You will have to get your IA to sign it off as meeting aircraft grade for spars. …..

Edensaw is about 2 miles from Jefferson County airport, south of Pt Townsend.
It'd be easy to get there from the airport if they had the correct material & you wanted to inspect it before buying.
A guy named Kiwi owns the place (guess where he's from!),
one of their salesmen (Sam) is married to the owner of the airport café here.
They also have a place in Seattle or Tacoma but I think it's just a warehouse.

Edensaw is about 2 miles from Jefferson County airport, south of Pt Townsend.
It'd be easy to get there from the airport if they had the correct material & you wanted to inspect it before buying.
A guy named Kiwi owns the place (guess where he's from!),
one of their salesmen (Sam) is married to the owner of the airport café here.
They also have a place in Seattle or Tacoma but I think it's just a warehouse.

Surprisingly the spars have been shipped from Spruce. I called Edensaw a few days ago as a backup. Still waiting on a return call......

Last edited:
Rainbow Ron in Moses Lake sells wood spars for Aeroncas. Does he sell Piper spars too?

I received 3 spar blanks from Aircraft Spruce today in excellent condition. Around three weeks after I ordered them. Freight was less then $300.

Surprisingly the spars have been shipped from Spruce. I called Edensaw a few days ago as a backup. Still waiting on a return call......

I talked to Sam from Edensaw yesterday, told him your call was never returned.
"Hmmm.....tell him to call again". FWIW.
He did tell me that they do handle aircraft spar-quality spruce, rattled off the spec to me (10% slope something...),
and told me that most of that material originates from Vancouver Island.

Back