• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Whirlwind Ground Adjust?

Not much Tom. Been chasing tractors and fighting ma nature for the past couple of weeks. Nothing gets your spirit soaring like 6 inches of snow on new planted potatoes and corn.
You have a new secret weapon?

Jim

If by secret weapon you mean not flying then yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not much Tom. Been chasing tractors and fighting ma nature for the past couple of weeks. Nothing gets your spirit soaring like 6 inches of snow on new planted potatoes and corn.
You have a new secret weapon?

Jim
And with the recent shortage of Lays lights in the store we sure hope you have great crops this year. ;-)

Finally got some time with the new prop this morning. I'm impressed. Far exceeded any expectations I had. Set at 12.8, I had better pull off the ground than the Catto I was running and the climb was notably better. Higher airspeed at a steeper rate of climb. Repeated and consistent. I don't think the Catto (84/37) was a bad prop (obviously), just not as well matched for my engine and airplane as the WW 80". But, here's the shocker. Before I put my LE slats on, I was seeing a cruise speed of 90..... maybe 94 in perfect conditions with the Catto. After I installed the slats, I felt like I was plowing at 79-82. The slats were awesome in slow flight and for everything STOL but, in cruise, I wondered if they would be worth it. Today, over the hour and a half... I checked it several times because I was so surprised. With the slats and this new prop, I was getting consistently 96-98 indicated in straight and level cruise at 2450 rpm. Couldn't believe that even with drag devices on my LE's, I got a better cruise than without and the other prop and bettered my cruise with them by 15 mph. Crazy. So, happy to report that in all categories, for my plane, the Whirlwind 80" is a more efficient prop without a doubt. IMG_8870.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8870.jpg
    IMG_8870.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 289
As someone put it, “Great! Another almost certified prop!” I’m very interested in this prop. I hear that Sensenich and WW have teamed up on a ground adjustable certified prop. Is this the prop, and any speculation from either on certification date?

As someone put it, “Great! Another almost certified prop!” I’m very interested in this prop. I hear that Sensenich and WW have teamed up on a ground adjustable certified prop. Is this the prop, and any speculation from either on certification date?

Also curious about a date and following this. Waiting on the acme black ops shocks as well.., we’ll see who wins the certification race 🤷.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Another happy WW owner here. To make small adjustments easier
FC959313-3FB2-43AF-8E45-A4900AFB31BF.png

Attachments

• DFBC6076-DFC6-46C7-AF3A-1F64A9414F0C.png
    DFBC6076-DFC6-46C7-AF3A-1F64A9414F0C.png
    473.8 KB · Views: 182
  • 833863EC-6B3E-483D-BC49-553ABDE572BD.png
    833863EC-6B3E-483D-BC49-553ABDE572BD.png
    419.1 KB · Views: 133
  • FC959313-3FB2-43AF-8E45-A4900AFB31BF.png
    FC959313-3FB2-43AF-8E45-A4900AFB31BF.png
    473.8 KB · Views: 219
My Whirlwind came with the plywood fixture that holds a digital angle cube. If you're in the field(trying to get off a gravel bar), just wade ashore and cut a gauge stick so as each blade is brought level its at the same height off the ground. Doesn't have to be perfectly level, just the same as the other blades. You don't have to level the fuse, just measure the blades, take an average, then reduce pitch x.x degrees on each blade. I don't know what my pitch is, I just tune for static. If I needed to know then yeah, I'd do it in the shop with a level crankshaft. Love my Whirlwind.

Yeah the actual number doesn't matter, except for sharing the info with others. Ground adjustable props are old news to us LSA types, the norm, though I have a Prince fixed pitch myself on my 912S.

One trick we came up with that I used when I set up my backup ground adjust 79" Luga prop, was to make a simple jig, so that I was able to replicate exactly where I placed a laser level (a cheap Harbor Freight one, so simple they can't screw it up) on the blades each time. Didn't matter where that point was, just so it was the same on both blades, and a stick cut to length that set the height off the ground exact each time, and like you mention that doesn't have to be level. I set it by static RPM, with no idea where to start, you guys have a good data base now, I had to sneak up on it. Once I got in the ballpark, I made a mark on the hangar floor, with the tires chocked and some plugs out. That laser gives you a few feet of lever arm so to speak, as compared to a little digital cube, so extremely minor blade movements move the dot on the floor a lot. This is probably more accuracy then needed, but it can't hurt. That's great you're getting good results with just the angle cube, that says a lot about the prop. I like the lightening holes in Barras's prop wrench, nice touch!

The only important part is the contour of the blade. The better the fit (less slop the better) the easier it will be, to get the exact degree that you are wanting. the overall length is 30”
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 155
Has anyone added some sort of lube to the blade stubs to make adjustments a little smoother. I find I keep overrunning my intended position.

And, I didn’t know that you could get shorter hubs. I’m running 82” and always thought it would be better longer. My mission is stol. Does the longer hub benefit me?

cgoldy

reason for edit - I went and measured the prop properly.

Last edited:
Has anyone added some sort of lube to the blade stubs to make adjustments a little smoother. I find I keep overrunning my intended position.

My thoughts are that would not be a good place for lube. Which is why I made the prop wrench
Apply and hold pressure using Dave's tool, then tap the tool close to the blade lightly with a light hammer or other hard object. This should minimize the blade movement.
Also make the tool so that it fits snugly close to the hub. This will reduce the flexibility within the blade.

I have been running the WW for a year and a half and like it very much. Been keeping my 82/43 for a spare but decided a composite spare would be just as good. Sold the borer and bought the Sensinich. Will be mounting soon and can give a comparison of the two on the same eng.and plane if anyone is interested.Already found an old paddle that I am going to make Dave's tool from.

Humm, my wife and I were commenting about a pair of real thick and useless to us canoe paddles that found their way here, they are rather light though. No use to us but now that I think of it the will make good blade holding tools.

A barn door could be made to fly with current tech right now, doesn't mean squat for real world practicality. Wind turbines to recharge the battery in flight? I assume that is a joke...why not 3 or 4 of them?! Hybrid drive plane much more likely, sooner. Of course that is coming from a guy who drives a plug in Prius. Right now, the combo of gas and e power works, with practicality we expect.

A barn door could be made to fly with current tech right now, doesn't mean squat for real world practicality. Wind turbines to recharge the battery in flight? I assume that is a joke...why not 3 or 4 of them?! Hybrid drive plane much more likely, sooner. Of course that is coming from a guy who drives a plug in Prius. Right now, the combo of gas and e power works, with practicality we expect.
Hey, CG, did you post this in the wrong thread? (Sounds like something I would do!)

Dave;
Good idea! I'm in final assembly for this project, made this prop board to fit the WhirlWind blade profile and attached the digital level for convivence. I set the blade at 0 degrees off of the prop hub face then clamped the digital level at zero degrees. Makes it intuitive to set the blade as the level will read what the blade angle is at when referenced like this.
Cheers;
Bob

IMG_5624.jpgIMG_5623.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0754.jpg
    IMG_0754.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_5624.jpg
    IMG_5624.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_5623.jpg
    IMG_5623.jpg