Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Whirlwind Ground Adjust?

Post Thanks / Like

Whirlwind Ground Adjust?

Ok they’ve been in the field enough now for some good or not so good results.
    who’s running one and what do you think? On what engine?
    Did a search and read all that
    thx
    jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Timmy's looks horrible, got drool all over it

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim, I like mine, fat for a long trip, or fine for competition. I leave mine in a happy medium. That setting gives me more cruise than my Catto and short enough take off for me. I'm very happy with it

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Couldn't be happier! Once I put it on the Dynavibe prop balancer it became "Catto" smooth. That being said I still wonder about going back to the Catto and just carrying a second prop to events. The idea of always changing the WW is easy but not reality. It's 20 minutes every time and the Dynavibe isn't handy to run every time. That's the real dilemma. I'm good now until I have to change the pitch again. The WW is smooth, just not Catto smooth

AKT

Post Thanks / Like
    Sky has or had one on on his Cub and wrote about it here a few years back.

Post Thanks / Like
    LOVE mine. Have it on my 160HP. I started out with an 82".. I think it was a bit too much. I swapped out center hubs to the 'short hub' and that got me down to an 80. IF i was only on wheels.. I'd do a 78.. and really have some speed. As I do floats and skis too... 80 should be perfect.

I set it out coarse for a long trip.. it helped, even with the 31s. Got home and got it set a bit too flat.. but should be perfect for skis and floats.. which is my next two planned uses.

As other said.. 20 minutes to change. I find I occasionally hit on a setting that's super smooth, and others that don't run quite as smooth.

JP

Post Thanks / Like
    Been running mine since may and really like it. Have flown it on floats and wheels. Skis soon. It is very smooth and easy to change. 20 min. change and half of that is removing and installing the spinner.

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing that is interesting about WW
    props is a few friends running them have had prop strikes with them and they instantly shear right off at the hub . So they are cheap insurance policy for not winding up with a bent crank flange.
    Jim everyone up North loves them but it does sound like after the initial set up they usually stay set........
    Most claim the Catto will still outperform it with its greater lenght.
    All day the Catto is the smoothest prop you can run.
    I would like to have a WW just fot winter flying.........

Sent from my LM-X210 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieN View Post
    Sky has or had one on on his Cub and wrote about it here a few years back.
    Mine is the heavier one from the other Whirlwind company. https://www.whirlwindaviation.com/props/STOLGseries.asp The pitch change time can be measured in seconds without removing the spinner. I have not used a balancing device on it and have found no need to even use one as it does run smoothly.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JP11 View Post
    LOVE mine. Have it on my 160HP. I started out with an 82".. I think it was a bit too much. I swapped out center hubs to the 'short hub' and that got me down to an 80. IF i was only on wheels.. I'd do a 78.. and really have some speed. As I do floats and skis too... 80 should be perfect.

I set it out coarse for a long trip.. it helped, even with the 31s. Got home and got it set a bit too flat.. but should be perfect for skis and floats.. which is my next two planned uses.

As other said.. 20 minutes to change. I find I occasionally hit on a setting that's super smooth, and others that don't run quite as smooth.

JP
    I and others use a system to set these adj pitch props, using a cheap laser, jigged to the blades in such a way to exactly replicate it's location on each blade. Then, as each blade is rotated into position (another simple jig assures consistent of each blade to the set position). The laser shines a dot on the hangar floor as a reference point, when all three blades hit the spot, you are as good as possible. This method is very accurate, as the moment arm is several feet long, very small blade movements make large movements of the dot on the floor. This method plus a BalanceMaster......SMOOTH!
    Likes tcraft128, KevinJ, TurboBeaver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I was mainly interesetd in the process to change pitch and how long it takes. Ive seen several here in Maine, flown by guys who are the best.
    so if they are running them and are happy, there must be something to it. Im running an 84-42.5 Catto on my carbon cub right now and it pulls like crazy
    and climbs in this cold air like the space shuttle . I see 100 mph or so at 6 gph and 2300 on 31s.. Of course I go by the max allowed Hp on the dash placard I came home from NY last week with a 40 mph tailwind at 9500 ft. Thought I had died and come back to life as an X cub at 140 mph the whole way. The big compromise is if you want to take off in the length of the plane and cruise at 140 going somewhere. Im headed to a warmer place in December with the cub, wondering if it would be a big nusiance in the field to change pitch. Kevin what are you seeing for cruise speeds and fuel burn?

jim
    Last edited by Scouter; 11-20-2019 at 11:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, while the laser system is the most accurate we've (meaning us Rotax riff raff who have been flying with ground adjust props forever, they are common as dirt for us, I'm a rarity, using a fixed Prince prop) found to set pitch, it takes use of a hangar to make it easy. The jigs would be small and light enough to pack though. I keep a adjustable pitch prop as a back up, and just went thru the setting procedure, before setting it on the shelf, just in case. It was my first time using the laser, though I know many who swear by it, for ultimate smoothness, and it was real slick but not out in the field.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim, changing one in the field will require 20 min..You will need a phillips screwdriver for the spinner screws, a 3/8 ratchet with a 9/16 socket, and torque wrench (ft lbs.) and the wooden pitch locator that comes with the prop. I bought a digital protractor tool that is about 2 1/2 " square and an inch thick. I find it easy to adjust within 2 tenths of a deg. which gives very smooth performance. I have only done it a couple times and see ways that I can simplify the process some, but don't find it to be any kind of pain and certainly worth it for the option of being able to make changes. My 2 cents. Reid
    '

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by courierguy View Post
    This method plus a BalanceMaster......SMOOTH!
    how much does that Balancemaster weigh? anyone got the weight?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sensnich have their 80" ground adjustable props being tested on some Super Cubs in Alaska according to a guy I spoke with last weekend who is involved. They use a key that helps lock the blades at the same pitch.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	received_649469002547012.jpeg 
Views:	167 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	45724
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    My Whirlwind came with the plywood fixture that holds a digital angle cube. If you're in the field(trying to get off a gravel bar), just wade ashore and cut a gauge stick so as each blade is brought level its at the same height off the ground. Doesn't have to be perfectly level, just the same as the other blades. You don't have to level the fuse, just measure the blades, take an average, then reduce pitch x.x degrees on each blade. I don't know what my pitch is, I just tune for static. If I needed to know then yeah, I'd do it in the shop with a level crankshaft. Love my Whirlwind.
    What's a go-around?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bodumatau View Post
    how much does that Balancemaster weigh? anyone got the weight?
    found the answer on another post by StewartB - Answers- Measured weight 1.2#. Flange thickness .038.