• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

J3 takedown

MidCoastCub

Thank you for all the good advice on moving my cub. Soon I will be taking the wings off and packing up. I hope to have at least four people for the job. What’s the best way to take the wings off a J-3? The tools I have will be limited but if there is something essential please let me know. Do I need to remove the windshield first? Do I need to level the fuselage or can I do this with the tail wheel on the ground? Thanks!

No need to remove anything but nuts and cable connections. Half hour job once everything is unhooked.Get jury struts off and out of the way. Remove each both and place a steel nail or spike in the holes then with help remove the nails and take struts and then wing off. Maybe support opposite wing so plane doesn't try to tip over. Tail down and maybe secured is fine.If a wing fuel tank is involved drain and plug off before removal of wing. Not a big deal once you've done it.

Lift wings and remove struts from fuselage first so that you do not damage the fork end of the struts.

Lift wings and remove struts from fuselage first so that you do not damage the fork end of the struts.

As you remove the wing struts, place a step ladder padded with a sofa cushion under the rib where the strut attaches. Your helpers will thank you.

All of that. The nails are the most important. Have somebody else double check the wing root to make sure all wires and cables are disconnected. All of them! Ten minutes if prep was complete with nails on all attach points.

A Sheetrock jack makes wing removal or install a 2 man job. 2 men makes it easy to keep all the workers on the same page

Back