• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

South Dakota pheasant

burchd

Osceola Wi
Bird count was definitely down this year. Had a great time with friend!

Attachments

• 04E2C286-A60A-441C-8415-FA0FE371F3EB.jpeg
    04E2C286-A60A-441C-8415-FA0FE371F3EB.jpeg
    161.4 KB · Views: 152
I like pheasant hunting because they make a lot of racket when they jump up, and don't fly all that fast. I miss fewer of them than almost anything else....

Pheasants are beautiful birds. When I was a youngster there was regular Pheasant hunting here in New England. I think that they were raised in farms and released in the wild just for the hunters. Sadly they now seem to be extinct as I've not seen any for many years. I always enjoyed looking at them with all of their colors. You would think that some would have survived and multiplied. The wild Turkeys certainly have. When I was young, I never saw a Turkey, now they are all over the place in large flocks.

The wild Turkeys certainly have. When I was young, I never saw a Turkey, now they are all over the place in large flocks.
Same out here in the N. Sacramento valley. The pheasant population has declined due to environmentally mandated changes in farming practices. We now either bale the straw and haul it out of the field or chop it up and chisel it in, followed by re-flooding. They no longer have the habitat/cover they once did. The turkey population has gone crazy though. My land borders a wooded creek with a state wildlife area on the other side (not complaining!) and they're everywhere.

Southern and Southwestern Wisconsin used to have extensive pheasant and rough grouse populations. Then they introduced wild turkeys to the area. We have lots of turkeys but the pheasants and grouse are gone. Anybody else think the arrival of the turkeys and disappearance of the other birds is related?

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Just got back from South Dakota. Lots of standing corn. Lots of soft ground and water. Had to work a little harder, but still had good shooting and got my 12 birds(4 days). I prefer December when it is frozen, but we had good weather last week. Lots and lots of geese. They were landing in the fields after the combines went thru. And we jumped plenty of deer, a bonus!

Back