• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

found a mag oozing puss!

astjp2

Utah/Alaska
So I was doing an annual on a 150hp cub and during the annual, I found that the right magneto was oozing something that was akin to a white puss. It was almost waxy. The previous annual was done this last may by a reputable shop and there was a lot of clean up items that needed to be done to meet my standards. Things like rubbing and chaffing, tailwheel was just full of dirt and needed cleaned up. etc. I swung the mount and pulled both mags. upon opening it up, the right had an obvious capacitor failure and inside the cover had about 1/8" deep puddle of more of the puss that leaked out. The other Mag looked clean so we decided to send the mags and have them gone through at aircraft magneto service. Oh and several of his champion plugs were over 5K ohms.

I do not know what the owner spent, but I reinstalled the newly overhauled Bendix mags, set the timing to 25 degrees along with new wires and plugs. I do know that the owner reported his oil temps were running like 40 degrees cooler with similar ambient temps and he said that he was getting a half gallon per hour better economy cruise. The last overhaul on the mags was from 1993.

If you suspect a failure of a mag, get an expert to go through them. I wont do it because I do not work on them all of the time and I do not have a testing machine. I will use Aircraft Magneto Service for all of my mags if possible, I shy away from the Kelly stuff and field overhauls because of previous experiences. I could post pics, but there is not much to see. Be safe, Tim

Back