• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA12 Adjustable Front Seat Options

Paul Heinrich

PARTNER
Illinois & Wisconsin
What are the best options for modifying a PA12 front seat to allow forward and aft movement?

The original seat position is fixed in place. As such, it doesn’t allow as much knee movement as I would like, especially since the plane has been converted to toe brakes. An adjustable seat would greatly enhance the plane’s utility by allowing pilots to position the seat to where they are most comfortable.

I know some install a PA18 type seat base, but I haven’t been able to find clear photos of the mod and I was wondering if there is a better option available.

Any pictures, sourcing, and/or advice would be helpful.

Thanks.

I had a previously installed C-180 seat in mine. Cessna seat rails on the floor and lots of cranks on the seat to make it fit anybody. Heavier than others probably.

Gary

SA02418AK Installation of the Piper PA-18 Front Seat Base onto a Piper PA-12 series fuselage frame

http://www.fadodge.com/documentation/stcs/

think that will only be with -18 gear and truss removed

Thanks for the replies.

Where can I get the parts to do the FAD STC? I looked at their website and, unless I missed something, it indicates STC only. Is this a mod that can be easily done or should I send the seat off to somebody like Mike or Javron?

Thanks for the replies.

Where can I get the parts to do the FAD STC? I looked at their website and, unless I missed something, it indicates STC only. Is this a mod that can be easily done or should I send the seat off to somebody like Mike or Javron?
Atlee provides some of the parts. Welds into floor. Then mounts a pa-18 seat. Not simple on covered plane. Rebuild time project.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Here is what my seat and toe brakes look like6C1A723A-53A5-4C71-B00D-E6C96C9C55E2.jpg6C1A723A-53A5-4C71-B00D-E6C96C9C55E2.jpg

Attachments

• 6C1A723A-53A5-4C71-B00D-E6C96C9C55E2.jpg
    6C1A723A-53A5-4C71-B00D-E6C96C9C55E2.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 518
  • C782839C-17FE-4C48-82ED-F68EC912A34A.jpg
    C782839C-17FE-4C48-82ED-F68EC912A34A.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 290
  • 4F6C669B-ED5D-49D5-87C1-9CE2E4792198.jpeg
    4F6C669B-ED5D-49D5-87C1-9CE2E4792198.jpeg
    200 KB · Views: 229
Where do I get an 18 sliding seat?

I had thought of using an aluminum rear seat from a Beaver and spacing widgets in 2 or 3 positions.

I was serious about modifying a -12 seat. Here’s a pic of the Airframes Cub seat pedestal. The tracks are simple. It should be doable to chop the back off a 12 seat and add tracks to use a sliding seat.

IMG_0174.JPG

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_0174.JPG
    IMG_0174.JPG
    269.6 KB · Views: 259
For my taste, I don't like Cessna seat rails as regards crash worthiness. 2 little prongs holding you in place? Same in sliding PA-18seat. Best to attach seat belt to the frame! FAD STC. We also used to wrap a cable around the front seat brace of the PA-12 to the frame, as the weak channels tend to break out of the 2 AN-3 bolts and the seat can tip over backwards when they get older and people get bigger. Happened to me on rotation during a banner pickup. (Obviously I regained control but it wasn't fun) Whenever we modified a PA-12 as a banner plane, we welded the seat in - back and down a little and well reinforced. Your milage may vary, but I try to... Keep It Sweet and Simple. It only has to protect you once. ;-)

Cessna seat belts do anchor to the airframe. At least on my 69 C-180.

For my taste, I don't like Cessna seat rails as regards crash worthiness. 2 little prongs holding you in place? Same in sliding PA-18seat. Best to attach seat belt to the frame! FAD STC. We also used to wrap a cable around the front seat brace of the PA-12 to the frame, as the weak channels tend to break out of the 2 AN-3 bolts and the seat can tip over backwards when they get older and people get bigger. Happened to me on rotation during a banner pickup. (Obviously I regained control but it wasn't fun) Whenever we modified a PA-12 as a banner plane, we welded the seat in - back and down a little and well reinforced. Your milage may vary, but I try to... Keep It Sweet and Simple. It only has to protect you once. ;-)

seatbelts to the frame anyway, no questions asked!!

Paul

This is the FAD -18 seat STC install on my -12. I think you may be able to see the attach points to the frame. The STC offers two options for mounting the base. One with the truss removed and the other option with the truss remaining.

18 seat fad.jpg

Let me know if you need more detail and I can send you a bigger pic or a different view.

Wayne

Attachments

• 18 seat fad.jpg
    18 seat fad.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 574
Friend of mine put one of these sliders in his PA12 not long ago, it still has the original truss.

Back