• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Best epoxy to bond aluminum

C-YQK

What is the latest and greatest expoxy that you have found to bond aluminium together?
Thanks

It depends on what you're wanting to bond, and what the loads/environment are. I've also used 3M 5200 successfully (in non-aero applications), but it could work very well, depending on what you're wanting to bond. It's well respected in the marine world. But to C-YQK's original question, it's a polyurethane, not an epoxy, viz: http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/811831O/3mtm-adhesive-sealant-brochure.pdf . I suspect the RV builders have some good ideas as well.

Thanks. cubscout

Not sure what you're wanting to bond, but Kitfox uses Hysol to glue major parts of there airplane together. I had to replace a spar on a wing due to corrosion, I was amazed at how strong that stuff is.

I've been using 3M Panel Adhesive for things like nutplates in hard-to-rivet areas on my cub project but I can't speak to its ability with higher loads. Sure seems permanent!

Hysol 9309
Interesting, 9309 is not most recommended for structural applications. What are the actual bonds to be made with this?
Similar thoughts about 5200, it is a sealant and not a structural adhesive. I used to use 5200 a fair amount in marine work as well as other uses but have changed to Dow Corning 737. One big difference is shelf life after opening, the unused 5200 is gone in a day where the 737 is still usable months later.

A question for those with experience with the Hysol products, I need an adhesive that will be exposed to gasoline which as far as unleaded gas these products look great. Anyone have knowledge about restrictions with leaded gas?

I'm most familiar with 9303 because it is what the structural repair manuals for the Beechcraft King Air, 1900, and Cessna 208B call out for when bonding metal to metal structural joints. I do know from experience 9309 bonds very well to aluminum. I'm not sure how it reacts to unleaded fuel. I have had good luck using 3M DP190 also for bonding metals together.

Suggest you look at Henkel-adhesives.com and give them a call. I believe they have the Loctite and Hysol line of adhesives. I’m sure they can advise you on which adhesives are best for aluminum and provide guidance on proper surface preparation techniques for optimal bonding. Be sure you know the aluminum alloy. It can make a difference.

Let us know what you find out. Thanks.

Not to bring down the conversation, but I have had great experience with bonding aluminum with JB Weld. I mean for decades now, and yes I use some 80 grit paper to roughen it up a bit, then clean it with lacquer thinner. I'm all for the more exotic aircraft specific stuff also, but do not overlook JB Weld. I am too lazt to look it up but there are some great YouTube videos on how good the stuff is, even up against much more expensive and supposedly superior adhesives. Hysol is great, no doubt about it, a lot of Kitfox's will attest to that.

Interesting, 9309 is not most recommended for structural applications. What are the actual bonds to be made with this?
Similar thoughts about 5200, it is a sealant and not a structural adhesive. I used to use 5200 a fair amount in marine work as well as other uses but have changed to Dow Corning 737. One big difference is shelf life after opening, the unused 5200 is gone in a day where the 737 is still usable months later.

A question for those with experience with the Hysol products, I need an adhesive that will be exposed to gasoline which as far as unleaded gas these products look great. Anyone have knowledge about restrictions with leaded gas?

Put your opened tube of 5200 in a plastic bag or seal the tip with Seran Wrap. Then put it in the freezer. Keeps a long time that way.

We use it on boat stuff all the time.

Not to bring down the conversation, but I have had great experience with bonding aluminum with JB Weld. .

I had a customer, back in the days of me being in the 3 wheeler repair business(high school, naknek) that he got into a drunken argument with his wife, and took an axe to HIS NEW honda 4 wheeler engine...... I JB welded up the holes.... no guarantees, but it seemed too work....

ok, who else remembers "Bullshit bob" from EEK??? Ekwok??? quite a character.... sold his rental car twice in anchorage....

3M 3505 A&B or something like that? That is what we used to use for glueing the Gar-Aero wheel halves together.

As stated above, strongly recommend you talk to a Hysol rep and/or look at their data sheets online.
I use a “glass bonder” for an application bonding an anodized aluminum sleeve inside a stainless tube.
I’ve used both a Plexus product and now a loctite product due to availability and cure properties, both without any bonding issues.
I have also used it to bond doublers inside my aluminum nose bowl to stop cracks from spreading.
Surface Prep is everything.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Last edited:
Back