Thread: Best epoxy to bond aluminum

Post Thanks / Like

Best epoxy to bond aluminum

What is the latest and greatest expoxy that you have found to bond aluminium together?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I've used 3M5200 with good success, especially if roughened and clamped.
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!
    Likes 8GCBC liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C-YQK View Post
    What is the latest and greatest expoxy that you have found to bond aluminium together?
    Thanks

3M LSE300 or other similar acrylic adhesives work well also.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    It depends on what you're wanting to bond, and what the loads/environment are. I've also used 3M 5200 successfully (in non-aero applications), but it could work very well, depending on what you're wanting to bond. It's well respected in the marine world. But to C-YQK's original question, it's a polyurethane, not an epoxy, viz: http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/8...t-brochure.pdf . I suspect the RV builders have some good ideas as well.

Thanks. cubscout

Let me check my GPS, gee how'd we ever navigate with those sectional things?
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure what you're wanting to bond, but Kitfox uses Hysol to glue major parts of there airplane together. I had to replace a spar on a wing due to corrosion, I was amazed at how strong that stuff is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have used 5300 before was looking more at an epoxy type glue for higher loads
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Saw the reference to Hysol
    Which product number are you using?

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been using 3M Panel Adhesive for things like nutplates in hard-to-rivet areas on my cub project but I can't speak to its ability with higher loads. Sure seems permanent!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hysol 9309

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Kid View Post
    Hysol 9309
    Interesting, 9309 is not most recommended for structural applications. What are the actual bonds to be made with this?
    Similar thoughts about 5200, it is a sealant and not a structural adhesive. I used to use 5200 a fair amount in marine work as well as other uses but have changed to Dow Corning 737. One big difference is shelf life after opening, the unused 5200 is gone in a day where the 737 is still usable months later.

A question for those with experience with the Hysol products, I need an adhesive that will be exposed to gasoline which as far as unleaded gas these products look great. Anyone have knowledge about restrictions with leaded gas?

Post Thanks / Like
    Check the high end bicycle forums

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm most familiar with 9303 because it is what the structural repair manuals for the Beechcraft King Air, 1900, and Cessna 208B call out for when bonding metal to metal structural joints. I do know from experience 9309 bonds very well to aluminum. I'm not sure how it reacts to unleaded fuel. I have had good luck using 3M DP190 also for bonding metals together.
    Thanks CharlieN thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Suggest you look at Henkel-adhesives.com and give them a call. I believe they have the Loctite and Hysol line of adhesives. I’m sure they can advise you on which adhesives are best for aluminum and provide guidance on proper surface preparation techniques for optimal bonding. Be sure you know the aluminum alloy. It can make a difference.

Let us know what you find out. Thanks.
    Likes Farmboy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used this stuff in lots of applications non-aviation and it is pretty good stuff. They promote it for aluminum boat repairs among other things. https://www.westsystem.com/specialty...ughened-epoxy/

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    Not to bring down the conversation, but I have had great experience with bonding aluminum with JB Weld. I mean for decades now, and yes I use some 80 grit paper to roughen it up a bit, then clean it with lacquer thinner. I'm all for the more exotic aircraft specific stuff also, but do not overlook JB Weld. I am too lazt to look it up but there are some great YouTube videos on how good the stuff is, even up against much more expensive and supposedly superior adhesives. Hysol is great, no doubt about it, a lot of Kitfox's will attest to that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieN View Post
    Interesting, 9309 is not most recommended for structural applications. What are the actual bonds to be made with this?
    Similar thoughts about 5200, it is a sealant and not a structural adhesive. I used to use 5200 a fair amount in marine work as well as other uses but have changed to Dow Corning 737. One big difference is shelf life after opening, the unused 5200 is gone in a day where the 737 is still usable months later.

A question for those with experience with the Hysol products, I need an adhesive that will be exposed to gasoline which as far as unleaded gas these products look great. Anyone have knowledge about restrictions with leaded gas?
    Put your opened tube of 5200 in a plastic bag or seal the tip with Seran Wrap. Then put it in the freezer. Keeps a long time that way.

We use it on boat stuff all the time.
    Likes CharlieN liked this post

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by courierguy View Post
    Not to bring down the conversation, but I have had great experience with bonding aluminum with JB Weld. .
    I had a customer, back in the days of me being in the 3 wheeler repair business(high school, naknek) that he got into a drunken argument with his wife, and took an axe to HIS NEW honda 4 wheeler engine...... I JB welded up the holes.... no guarantees, but it seemed too work....

ok, who else remembers "Bullshit bob" from EEK??? Ekwok??? quite a character.... sold his rental car twice in anchorage....

Post Thanks / Like
    3M 3505 A&B or something like that? That is what we used to use for glueing the Gar-Aero wheel halves together.
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Best epoxy to bond aluminum

As stated above, strongly recommend you talk to a Hysol rep and/or look at their data sheets online.
    I use a “glass bonder” for an application bonding an anodized aluminum sleeve inside a stainless tube.
    I’ve used both a Plexus product and now a loctite product due to availability and cure properties, both without any bonding issues.
    I have also used it to bond doublers inside my aluminum nose bowl to stop cracks from spreading.
    Surface Prep is everything.

Last edited by Farmboy; 11-17-2019 at 08:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Metal bonding?
    https://www.supercub.org/forum/showthread.php?t=53054

Post Thanks / Like
    My local supplier was able to access 3M Panel Bond so will give it a try

Post Thanks / Like
    Gordon

N4328M KTDO
    My SPOT: tinyurl.com/N4328M (case sensitive)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Misch View Post
    Yah know, I have studied hard all my life, done more than most people learning on every job. Now here I am in my mid 60's in another project and just now reading through the document Gordon linked above, Damn I got allot to learn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Damn I got allot to learn.
    Ain't that just how it always seems to be? Sure is for me!
    Gordon

N4328M KTDO
    My SPOT: tinyurl.com/N4328M (case sensitive)

Post Thanks / Like
    thks Gordon