• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Market value for Edo 2000's?

pcj_5189

Northern MN
Hello everyone!

I'm looking at a PA-12 for a possible purchase and it comes with Edo 2000's with uninstalled hatches and all rigging. I'm trying to figure value for an offer and was wondering what the going price is for a set. Very clean with pump-outs and not dinged up. Thanks for your input!

Which rigging? The early rigging was a welded steel one piece truss arrangement. The later style has separate individual aluminum struts and spreader bars. The later style is preferable so would have more value.

If they are near perfect in all regards, they MIGHT bring $10K. But that’d have to be the right buyer on the right day.....

MTV

Which rigging? The early rigging was a welded steel one piece truss arrangement. The later style has separate individual aluminum struts and spreader bars. The later style is preferable so would have more value.

Modern rigging with spreader bars.

I recently sold a set of eco 2000s with modern pa-12 rigging for $9000. Felt it was a fair price. I had just blasted them, fresh lacquer, only 2 small patches, double rudders. Only thing missing were the pork chop fittings.

I recently sold a set of eco 2000s with modern pa-12 rigging for $9000. Felt it was a fair price. I had just blasted them, fresh lacquer, only 2 small patches, double rudders. Only thing missing were the pork chop fittings.

Thanks! I'm looking at a plane that comes with the floats and we have discussed price with and without the floats. I am trying to get a better feel for a realistic value of the floats in order to come up with a value of the package. I appreciate everyone's opinions. I'm still listening if anyone has any additional input. Thanks guys!

I should have mentioned I bought those floats about 4-5 years earlier for $8000 and felt I got a pretty fair deal. After buying some pulley assembles, paying to have them blasted, then priming and lacquering them I may have broken even, or at most lost only $500-not bad in the aviation refurbishing market I'd say.

I sold them because of the impracticality of a straight float plane in Montana

I should have mentioned I bought those floats about 4-5 years earlier for $8000 and felt I got a pretty fair deal. After buying some pulley assembles, paying to have them blasted, then priming and lacquering them I may have broken even, or at most lost only $500-not bad in the aviation refurbishing market I'd say.

I sold them because of the impracticality of a straight float plane in Montana

Thanks for the update. Gives some added perspective. I understand the difficulty operating straight floats in MT. I'm blessed with 40,000 acres of liquid in front of the house.

A big factor with floats is the condition/wear of the bottoms. Without getting a look at the bottoms it is hard to make a judgement.

Another question would be where where these made? Chinese ones are very new, so would probably have very little use.

Edos are advertised for as much as $13,000 on Alaska List, and as low as $2,500 (needs bottoms). Any time you can get a bolt up set that is already rigged for your plane you are at an advantage!! I do prefer flat top floats myself, but worked Edo's on the cub for lots of hours- great performing floats, but get rid of the bow cleat as it kills hip boots and will send you flying when you are in a hurry.:evil:

Thanks for the update. Gives some added perspective. I understand the difficulty operating straight floats in MT. I'm blessed with 40,000 acres of liquid in front of the house.

You live here in MN and don't want to keep the floats? Especially if you are living on lake shore! Might want to hold onto them for a bit and see if you change your mind. Float flying in MN is awesome!

You live here in MN and don't want to keep the floats? Especially if you are living on lake shore! Might want to hold onto them for a bit and see if you change your mind. Float flying in MN is awesome!

No, I definitely want the floats. I'm just dealing on a plane that has them and I'm just trying to get a good grasp of the value of the floats so I can have a better idea of the package price airplane vs. floats. Trying to separate the two as far as value goes. Not physically separate the two.

The last set of EDO 2000s I bought I paid $5K. They weren’t perfect but they were fun enough. On PA-12 the keels were under water much of the time when I was solo and all the time with anything or anyone in the plane. You’ll want to make sure the pump outs aren’t cracked and the balls don’t leak. If they’re perfect? $12K in early spring when the market is good. Not perfect? $6-8K. This time of year? Lawn ornaments.

If they’re perfect? $12K in early spring when the market is good. Not perfect? $6-8K. This time of year? Lawn ornaments.

Haha...thanks! Might look good with Christmas lights on them! Like AKTango said, I've looked at ads trying to see what they are going for and it's difficult to see what realistic values are when you see one set advertised by a dealer for $13k and another set offered for $4k. I appreciate everyone chiming in!

Average selling price for a decent set of 2000s on a PA18 is 10K all day long in Northern MN IF you can find a set. The ones I've seen go with 12's have gone for around 8k. Not necessarily what any of it is worth... but... most guys don't like giving stuff away either!

I had a set of those that I sold up in Alaska. They had been rode hard and put up wet; I didn't get much for them, but it was a fair price because they needed a lot of work.

When I sold them, I said they had PA-12 rigging - they came off of my 12 after all. The guy who bought them showed me something interesting. He said that back in the day there were many sets of PA-18 rigging that had been cut down so they'd fit the wider PA-12 fuselage. The problem with that is it's often done with guesswork. Edo probably spend a great deal of time tweaking things to get all the angles right, and if you're working with a hacksaw in a garage somewhere, you might not do as good of a job of it. The problem is that you could easily cut too much or not enough and then your floats would never be quite right; like being at the wrong angle to the wing, toed in or out, etc.

My point is, you might wish to check for evidence of that having been done and factor that in as well.

This thread seams to have missed the fact there is not 2 different set ups for the PA 12, there is 3 set ups.
The original rigged set up with no spreader bars, so called " bed frame" struts.
Then later on EDO came out with the standard PA 12 front fitting for standard 12 gear. Then much later on as 12's were converted to PA 18 landing gear, the 18 style block is used. Here is a picture of the "correct front fitting" if you have a 12 with 12 gear. Of course lots of folks have simply stuck the 18 blocks in the front fitting and recut the struts to make it all work.....
Unless the 12 has been modified on left side : Edo had a small tube that has to be added on left side , goes from the diagonal to the seat truss, for the plane to be legal.
IMG_20200402_110925742.jpeg

Sent from my moto e5 go using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_20200402_110925742.jpeg
    IMG_20200402_110925742.jpeg
    37.5 KB · Views: 173
Back