• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

MT prop slinging grease after 200hrs

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
Annotation 2019-11-06 145049.jpg

I'm on my second MT prop. The first went quite a ways before it had to be returned to Germany for overhaul and I did not want to wait for it, so I traded it in on a new one of the same type, an MTV-15-B. MT has offered to cover half of the cost to "reseal" the prop, of course that likely does not include removing, reinstalling, and getting it to the repair facility.

Anybody else have recent experience with MT's and grease slinging? Should I expect continued issues down the road? What causes this sort of thing? I operate it just like a I did the last one.

Thanks.

sj

Attachments

• Annotation 2019-11-06 145049.jpg
    Annotation 2019-11-06 145049.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 193
Was it 'over greased' on installation? I've seen a lot of props that slung grease for the first couple of hours after fresh grease was pumped in. But they usually stop after that.

Web

Was it 'over greased' on installation? I've seen a lot of props that slung grease for the first couple of hours after fresh grease was pumped in. But they usually stop after that.

Web

That would have been done at the factory I believe. There is no grease zerk on this prop.

sj

Seals, then. Any aggravating circumstances like extreme temp drop? Signs of internal oil leak?

Web

On your departure from the fly in on Sunday I noticed your prop was pitch hunting a bit and I’ve never heard yours do that before.

Might pull that spinner and check for cracks?? Before something important departs......or only part of something important departs...

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Let me think about this... you went to the Crowe Bar ranch... I bet you talked with a couple of his flying neighbors.

Possible that is it Bullsh!t and not grease?:p

Are there pink sticky notes? Possible Eaton set you up?

I really like Mike's thought- pull spinner and give it the look see. Might want to use a magnifying glass on the prop at the hubs- and have someone flex the tips as you look.

All good thoughts, folks. It's not doing any more flying before the prop gets pulled and we will check everything, although pretty sure it's grease and not oil. It looks to be coming out of only one of the prop joints, and as Mike points out, the blades are dry.

That's the best picture I have right now.

Kirby, the "hunting" might have been the lady flying...

To be fair, while the BS in the air was palpable at the Crowe Bar, this happened on the way down there.

I was actually mostly interested in if anybody else has had this issue with low time MT's

Thanks folks!

sj

I am having the same issue of grease still slinging from my MT Ultra prop with 137 hrs on it. Talked to the company I bought it from and they said MT changed the style seals after mine was installed in June 2018. The newer seals are more rigid and have a lip. Right now one blade stopped spitting grease son looks like that one has gone dry. Coordinating to have it worked at the prop shop recommended.

I am having the same issue of grease still slinging from my MT Ultra prop with 137 hrs on it. Talked to the company I bought it from and they said MT changed the style seals after mine was installed in June 2018. The newer seals are more rigid and have a lip. Right now one blade stopped spitting grease son looks like that one has gone dry. Coordinating to have it worked at the prop shop recommended.

I have heard this from several people privately, and suspect the same problem with mine (2016 prop). Confirmed with an MT rep that you need the new seal design.

sj

Back