• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Garmin Autoland... pretty cool tech

It doesn’t count unless the pilots are in the back drinking a cocktail during the landing......:lol:

MTV

So what can it do if you are not in the vicinity of an airport with ILS? Pilot is incapacitated, selected fuel tank is nearly exhausted, no airport with an ILS within range of remaining fuel, passenger pushes the button and the screen says "you are gonna die"?

So what can it do if you are not in the vicinity of an airport with ILS? Pilot is incapacitated, selected fuel tank is nearly exhausted, no airport with an ILS within range of remaining fuel, passenger pushes the button and the screen says "you are gonna die"?

Interesting question!

You mean it doesn’t flip open the AFD and terrain for a suitable field and calculate the best GPS approach? Slacking.... 🥴

Transmitted from my FlightPhone on 123.45

On a serious note, the idea I believe is for incapacitated issues, not damn I ran out of fuel issues. Typical flight profile would allow for destination plus an alternate.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

If Garmin would also develop an Auto TakeOff, that might whip that lack of future pilots problem. Though all those planes parked out on the runway might become an issue.

It says it uses a precision GPS approach with vertical guidance. Not an ILS. That makes a lot of airports available.

Tim

OK. Showed my ignorance about ILS and GPS. I never got past the map and compass. And we're not running out of fuel- the pilot just passed out before a switch to another tank was necessary so there is a finite amount of fuel available unless this thing is gonna switch fuel tanks too.. Oh well, I've never flown an aircraft that had an autopilot with an auto throttle and don't expect I ever will have that opportunity. I'm sure that gizmo itself will cost more than any airplane I have owned or could hope to own. It just seems that when things go wrong, that we are going to read about, it will have gone wrong in the worst place at the worst time. Can a guy expect to always be within range of an airfield that has a GPS approach with vertical guidance?

It's really the wrong forum to consider this tech to be used in "our" aircraft of choice. Currently setup for the G3000 panel I believe, and their current statement is "not-retrofittable".

Question to Garmin : "Assuming this only works with ILS approaches, what happens if the nearest with an approach is an hour away?"

Some engineer's response : "no need for an ILS as with LPV, the GPS guides the airplane laterally and vertically simulating an ILS approach"

Garmin's response : "Autoland leverages a wide variety of GPS approaches. The Aircraft will maintain its current route until a suitable airport is found. ^DK

Editors note : LPV = "Localizer performance with vertical guidance" (Using WAAS)

This may be a call for some future practice flying under the hood in our basic equipped airplanes. See what we can do with what we have available. Without a red button to push it's our skills or those of any passenger.

Gary

C8E60575-A647-4704-A3A4-7F49D658D5FF.jpeg
I’m sorry, Dave..........I’m afraid I can’t do that.........

Attachments

• C8E60575-A647-4704-A3A4-7F49D658D5FF.jpeg
    C8E60575-A647-4704-A3A4-7F49D658D5FF.jpeg
    50.7 KB · Views: 206
It's really the wrong forum to consider this tech to be used in "our" aircraft of choice. Currently setup for the G3000 panel I believe, and their current statement is "not-retrofittable".

Question to Garmin : "Assuming this only works with ILS approaches, what happens if the nearest with an approach is an hour away?"

Some engineer's response : "no need for an ILS as with LPV, the GPS guides the airplane laterally and vertically simulating an ILS approach"

Garmin's response : "Autoland leverages a wide variety of GPS approaches. The Aircraft will maintain its current route until a suitable airport is found. ^DK

Editors note : LPV = "Localizer performance with vertical guidance" (Using WAAS)

Not sure I agree, could be coming to a carbon cub near you. The button would be in the back....

Garmin has been branching out into other new devices as well. If you’re a clay target shooter you should check out the Garmin Xero.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/612942

We’ve been using it as a training device for our High School shooters, but even veteran with high averages are impressed. Shows the shot string in relation to the target, distance, reaction time, direction and inches the shot string was from the target. Pretty slick!

Not sure I agree, could be coming to a carbon cub near you. The button would be in the back....

In time without doubt. Currently they would need to ramp up the cost for an even more capable panel like the 3000 to drive it, or Garmin would need to implement capability within the G3x.

On a side note, We were playing ideas and found that while you can transfer a flight plan from Foreflight to the G3X via Bluetooth, it only takes waypoints alone and scrubs off any altitude constraints you have assigned them.

For such a capable unit it seems odd that it would require a GTN 6.xxx/7.xxx in order to do that.

Transmitted from my FlightPhone on 123.45

When you look at the airplanes it is aimed at you understand the product. It is aimed at the owner flown jet or turbprop where the middle aged owner is single pilot and could have a disabling event in an aircraft with significant performance. When you see it, 2 million is about the entry level for an aircraft with this kind of technology and it makes sense. I can see a lot of sense for these kind of systems in these kind of aircraft as their owners often have difficulty insuring them because of their age, medical history and single pilot operations. Let's not try to kid ourselves, it is not coming to a C-182 let alone a Cub.

The crux of the matter is that the technology and hardware to make "autoland" happen for any aircraft has been around for awhile. Putting a servo on the throttle and prop do not seem too difficult. The difference is the cost vs benefit for certification. The military and drones have been doing it for a few decades now.

Tim

Back