Thread: Aircraft found after 2 week search

Post Thanks / Like

Aircraft found after 2 week search

There is a lot to learn from this wreck, but sadly it looks like history repeating itself.
    My take is..don't mess with weather, know your limitations, follow the rules, and maybe look into spider tracks.
    Those that know my area know that its fairly flat farm country, not exactly sparsely populated or remote.
    There was an exhaustive air and ground search, as well.
    http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2019/1...wk-n6483b.html
    https://www.aberdeennews.com/news/pl...lock_id=475371

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder what this means: A plane that crashed after taking off from Aberdeen Regional Airport had been deemed not flight worthy by the Federal Aviation Administration, according to Brown County Chief Deputy Dave Lunzman.

Lots of other questions.

Likes Chicken Hawk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    No fire = no fuel.... that things balled up.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    Cfit
    "There are 3 kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure picked on the only tree out there. That tree won.
    Do they determine the plane was not flight worthy because there was no record of an annual, or because it did not fly more than a few miles? Was the plane registered, I expect not.
    They mention the 70 Yo Gent was a student pilot yet he owned the airplane for many years, maybe decades. Curious how many hours in that plane he actually had. Was it not an issue for him to operate what might have been decades without any one questioning any aspect of this?
    Thanks Bill.Brine thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    There should be an investigation on why it took 2 weeks to find this thing.
    Likes CharlieN, G44, mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoddyM View Post
    There should be an investigation on why it took 2 weeks to find this thing.
    The weather went down very soon after the crash, it was snowing, windy, and poor visibility.
    They said there were two Air Force rescue Hueys in the area looking for him...one flew very near my place, 1/4 mile visibility and snow.
    Kudos to those folks...they were going above and beyond.
    A day later the ceiling went up, and it quit snowing...we got 4-6 inches, ground was white.
    The Civil Air Patrol had about 4 planes in the air for a couple days, and even the local Care flight Helicopter was out.
    I "watched" the CAP planes do their "grid search" on my phone and "flightRadar 24" app...the CAP planes had the ADSB out signal..and they tracked over the search area fairly thoroughly.
    There were ground searches as well, by Law enforcement and emergency management.
    I just wonder if part of the reason was because he crashed so soon after take off...barely got out of the airport traffic area looks like.
    All I hear is rumors, Cub Special ED will know a lot more details.
    Who even knows if the ELT survived, or if it was needing a battery before takeoff..
    There is a backstory to this crash.
    It sure didn't have to happen, load it up on a trailer and take it home if it won't pass inspection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Student pilot, unairworthy aircraft, bad wether, at night ect.. More facts to come out so i dont want to say too much. But absolutly nothing about that flight was legal. My guess is the elt was probably inop and probably hadnt been checked in years as no one would work on the plane. So much so it was red tagged. That doesnt rule out a health event, but he seamed healthy to me when i saw him a year or so ago. As far as it taking 2 weeks, i informed law enforcement the next day when i found out cap was up north they were in the wrong area. I said he was within 5-10 miles of the airport. Student pilot in imc after take off usualy dont get very far. As far as the tree goes, that was final resting spot, not initial impact point.
    "There are 3 kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." Will Rogers
    Thanks OLDCROWE thanked for this post
    Likes mike mcs repair, tcbetka, Brandsman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    charlie you were right about the tree, can see the groove in it. that was a very tough day. one i will remember for a long time. 3 feet of snow the next day.